“great hotel in the university area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Deca, Seattle

You added Hotel Deca, Seattle to your Saves list
Hotel Deca, Seattle
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4507 Brooklyn Avenue NE, Seattle, WA 98105 (University District)   |
Ranked #52 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
jeeno
“great hotel in the university area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

I was in Seattle for a two day conference at UW, and found Deca through the conference promoters. The location is perfect for anything at the U, and the surrounding area is funky and urban for shopping or noshing.
My room on the 8th floor was quite except for the wind whipping by the bay window, and was clean with the exception of peeling paint chips from the bathroom ceiling- no vent!
I loved the fainting couch in the window to relax and watch the storm blow by.
Check in was slow- 10 at night and there was a line of tired travelers waiting in line, but the staff was helpful and friendly. Apart from the hotel shuttle bailing on me at the last minute, and having to get a cab and race around to get to the train station in time, the stay was a positive one.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

Don't be put off by this hotel because of it's distance from downtown. I recently stayed at the Hotel Deca on two separate occasions, once in December and once in January. I love the neighborhood; because of the proximity to the University there are plenty of bars and restaurants near by. You are also walking distance to a grocery store and a pharmacy.

Getting downtown is very convenient, several bus stops are very close by (and Seattle's bus system is very easy to use and extremely efficient!), there are Zipcars parked in front of the hotel, and hotel's shuttle will take you to several locations as well.

Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

We planned a 2 night trip to Seattle for my birthday and choose the Hotel Deca at the last minute. Having never been to Seattle we were under the impression it was close to downtown (we planned on doing all the touristy stuff, space needle, pike place market, etc.) and planned on walking to get to these hot spots. Well, it's not doable from this location. Had we done our research we would've found out this hotel is on the other side of town. However, the hotel had a complimentary shuttle that was very convenient and if the shuttle wasn't available for our desired times, the bus was just a short walk away. This hotel is super close to U of W and would be perfect for parents, or someone who is looking to visit the university. There were a ton of cute little shops within walking distance of the hotel and a good variety of places to eat. The district lounge is in the basement of the hotel and the food was great. The only con about this hotel is the walls were thin, we could hear the plumbing from rooms near to us and the vents also carried a decent amount of sound, not a huge con, but for some, it may be. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Eugene, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

Hotel Deca is easy to find from I-5. Checking in was easy enough and the staff were helpful and forthcoming with information.
Our room was a junior suite that faced west toward the Olympic Mountains. It wasn't really a suite in the true sense but a large room with an adequate bathroom. We lucked out with the weather. Sunny, crisp temperatures with splendid sunsets visible from our room.
The internet worked fine, some slight noise from our neighbor's tv but not enough to be a bother, shuttle worked out well for us, the parking is free, and the staff was wonderful.
I do have an issue with the shower water temperature varying when used elsewhere. Someone could get scalded if you don't realize how to accomodate for it. We were told that improvements are in the near future.
Didn't see anything sleazy about the neighborhood. Lots of little hole in the wall restaurants with great food, good portions and reasonable prices.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
portland, OR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010 via mobile

I was woken by people talking while waiting for the elevator and could hear person next door move their shower curtain!
Bathroom smelled like a wet sweatsock after I showered. And then, I stepped on what I hope to god was a crumbled chocolate cookie left by a previous occupant near the base of the bed. Gross.

The neighborhood by day is fine, but at night, its scary. I stepped out for a bite and saw a guy cleaning his crack pipe and got offered drugs twice, all within 2 blocks of the hotel.

The lobby looks cool, but don't read a book by the cover.

• Stayed February 2010
Eastern Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

We've tried most of the hotels in the University District over the last 10 years. Hotel Deca suits us the best. Close proximithy to U. of Washington, sparkling clean, pleasant and helpful staff, and fun decorations. Best value in the area.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Hayward, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

I'm pretty sure that my trip to the Deca was the exception not the rule (at least I'm hoping.) Getting there we weren't offered any help with our bags, which wouldn't be a big deal if we didn't have suitcases and duffel bags that we had to maneuver down a ramp and then up to our hotel room.
Front Desk Staff was friendly, but not knowledgeable about local sites or places to eat. We pretty much had to rely on Yelp for that.
The room LOOKED nice. But the bathroom sink didn't work properly, and when looked closer, there were dead bugs and paint chips scattered next to the window. And when I moved a chair to sit closer to the desk, I found a pair of DIRTY UNDERWEAR (obviously not mine nor my boyfriend's.)
The maid took at least 15 minutes to get up to our room to pick them up.
The front desk sent up a bottle of wine and continental breakfast vouchers as apology for the room, but I honestly would have preferred being moved to a different (clean) room.

I wish I could say I recommend this hotel, but I don't. While staff was friendly, they were not helpful and while the room was lovely, it was unclean.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Deca, Seattle? Share your experiences!