“Hidden gem just a few minutes to downtown.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Deca, Seattle

You added Hotel Deca, Seattle to your Saves list
Hotel Deca, Seattle
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4507 Brooklyn Avenue NE, Seattle, WA 98105 (University District)   |
Ranked #51 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
Edmonton
“Hidden gem just a few minutes to downtown.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

I recently stayed here for business and was very impressed. The staff was great and very helpful. The food was above average and very good for a hotel. The rooms were spacious and well appointed. The size of the rooms surprised me for a boutique hotel. I would certainly stay here again for business. Free high speed throughout the hotel!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

I have to be honest. We made our reservations on Priceline and I was somewhat anxious about this hotel. As someone with a strong design background I was both enthused and put off by the online photos. Would Hotel Deca be a style over substance kind of place? Would the service be snooty and the bed beautiful, yet uncomfortable?

Lucky for us, none of the preceding proved true. Hotel Deca is beautiful and a wonderful find. We stayed on the 8th floor and I can attest to the great view of the space needle! Our room was spacious: there were three of us (hubby, me, and our toddler) and we were comfortable. There also were plenty of outlets around with which to charge our electronics. The room featured a comfortable sitting area with two armchairs, a nice big fully-stocked desk, plasma tv with DVD, iHome alarm clock, and comfy down comforter.

Also, I am what some would call a "germaphobe" and found the room to be exceedingly clean. I've stayed at 5 star hotels and this hotel lacks some of the frills you may get at one of them. But, it gets pretty darn close.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

The Hotel Deca is lovely, and we liked its location in the University District near many ethnic restaurants. But the hotel was full of contradictions.

1. The hotel has screaming fast WiFi... but our room had no outlets for charging our laptop. Lamp wires went under the baseboards. We found one lamp plugged into an extension cord (hello! They are not for constant use!) and used that.

2. The hotel has beautifully designed chairs and Art Deco decor everywhere... but I sat on exactly ONE chair all weekend that was even comfortable.

3. The hotel shuttle exists... but to do what? We needed a shuttle to the Victoria Clipper dock, and the Clipper runs once a day in the winter. They said they could take us -- but the shuttle doesn't start early enough to do so.

4. We asked for more towels. The housekeeper came while we were gone -- and got out extra linens for the bed. Huh?

5. We had a catered event at the hotel and the hotel was given a head count in advance of how many guests would be there. They ran out of food.

6. The Deco bathroom had a pedestal sink -- which means there's no place to set down all your toiletries!

So, I don't know what to tell you. Go to the Deca with a powerful laptop battery, don't sit down, bring your own car and towels and snacks? It was lovely and convenient... mostly.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Olympia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

This hotel is HORRIBLE. It is not worth the money you pay to stay here!!! We decided to use priceline to book a hotel the night before a long medical appt at the University of Washington medical center. We live in Olympia and hate having to drive through morning rush hour to make it to the appt in time, plus getting up at the crack of dawn. We chose to stay at a hotel in the area the night before. We booked it through name your own price at priceline and got what we thought was a good price.
I had read reviews on the hotel earlier, and read that parking was free and there was a free continental breakfast.
I saw pictures of the hotel on line and thought it looked wonderful. Was I ever wrong!!

On arrival, my husband went and checked in. We had to pay 15 dollars extra for a bed big enough to accomidate my husband, 2 year old daughter and I. When I booked through priceline I put I needed 2 queens or a king....we had been reserved for 1 full size bed. We aren't tiny people and with 3 in the bed, including a squirmy 2 year old it wouldn't have worked. So we had to pay 15 more dollars. I have booked through priceline like this before and have NEVER had to pay more money for a bigger bed!!!! Absolutely rediculous!!!!
When we got to the room, it was ok, nothing spectacular. We were on the 2nd floor and had a lovely view of the roof and air conditioner. I didn't care becaues we weren't here as tourists...but tourists beware, if you want a view, you better get a room on a higher floor, if those even have views.
The parking IS NOT free...it's 8 dollars a night, and not secured..just a big lot.
There IS NO continental breakfast! You can eat in the restaurant, but omg is it expensive for nothing!
Oh and the the credit card machine wasn't working at the restaurant, so we had to charge it to the room, I don't like doing that...leaves room for mistakes!

The bed, omg the bed is HOOOOOOORIBLE!!! It felt like we were sleeping on a steel table. The comforter was a tiny thin little down coverlet thing...NOT warm. My husband and I tossed and turned all night. It was the worst bed ever!
They are also so cheap that they don’t even give you a pen with paper in the room, they give you a PENCIL and paper….I wasn’t aware I needed a pencil sharpener for my stay!

Safety: there is no lock on the door other than a chain lock.
they have cords stuffed under baseboard...very unsafe and a fire hazard!

You get shampoo and conditioner and bar soap for showering, but no lotion. We had to ask for lotion, of which they had but apparently don't put it in the bathroom. There is a coffee pot and coffe, but no mini fridge or microwave!

The walls are paper thin and you can hear others next to you showering and such.

this hotel is NOT worth the money and I will NEVER stay here again!

On a side note, there is a hotel comprable in price to this one, nearby called the Watertown....they are AWESOME!!! and we have stayed there several times. They bend over backwards to accomidate you and they have little carts to keep you entertained while you stay....I would definatly recommend the Watertown hotel anyday!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

Room: Truthfully said, the rooms look better in the pictures than they do in real life. That being said, they're still nice rooms, tastefully decorated. Very comfy bed and pillows. Had a beautiful view out the window on the 15th floor, with a nice sofa to relax and read on in front of the window under the sun. Cons: The walls are really thin, i could hear people talking in the other rooms very easily. Also, there is no mini-fridge in the room, which is bad for me since I like to buy fruits and cheese to munch on during trips.

Location: The good thing about the location is that it's in the university district, meaning there's plenty of restaurants and bars all around. The bad thing is that it's in the university district, meaning it is definitely not within walking distance to downtown and the waterfront. That being said, a bus ride to downtown takes about 15-20 mins.

Bottom line: Definitely a nice hotel, but I find it a bit pricey given the problems above.

Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. Great facilities with pretty deluxe rooms--the bed in our room was very very comfy. The service was excellent and cordial and the location is perfect for access to all of Seattle's neighborhoods.

• Liked — Location, bed, Tully's Coffee
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

The hotel has excellent service. This is the best part of the hotel. Each person encountered was pleasant and helpful. We were given a 4 pm late check out on New years day, which was unexpected and very nice.

The problems are with the rooms. We paid $159 for a Junior Suite. Not horribly expensive, not horribly cheap. I would argue that the room we had was a Junior Suite. A small bay in the windows accounted for the "Junior." The bed was comfortable but the furnishings which appeared to be somewhat new seemed cheap and uninspiring.

The hotel is in the University District. This was clearly advertised. I guess I was expecting some charm and quaintness but it was more seedy and downtrodden, than I expected.

On our next trip to Seattle, we would select another hotel.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Did not feel our room was really a suite
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Deca, Seattle? Share your experiences!