“We love it.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Deca, Seattle

Save Saved
You added Hotel Deca, Seattle to your Saves list
Hotel Deca, Seattle
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4507 Brooklyn Avenue NE, Seattle, WA 98105 (University District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Parking for only $1
Ranked #46 of 95 hotels in Seattle
Bodega
“We love it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We love the hotel. We've stayed here 3 times and the staff have always been great. The rooms feel spacious and usually have great views. The restaurant and bar are great, It's close to University district shopping and Neptune records is just across the corner (if you are into music this is a big plus). We had dinner via room service one night and it was delicious. We really do love it here.
I knocked off one star because this last time our room was hot for the whole 3 nights. It was hot when we arrived so we set the temp to 60- as low as it would go, and the fan on high, but it stayed hot in the room day and night. The temp control apparently has no effect. I had no temp gauge to tell what the temperature really was but it was too hot to sleep muchof the night. It was not so bad that we had to call the desk. I'm sure they would have changed rooms for us, because they did it once before, but it was bad enough that I want to warn folks here. We were on the 10th floor and the windows were screwed shut. It was bad enough that I forced one open a little and shoved a plastic fork in the gap so that a little breeze of cool air came in and when we couldn't sleep we could go over there and cool down. That's my only complaint. Next time I will bring a phillips screw driver with me and open a window or two. My suggestion would be for the hotel to change the windows a bit. I'm guessing they screwed them shut to prevent suicides, but now the rooms get so hot you want to jump out even if you are not suicidal. Just change the windows a bit so you can open them an inch or two and the problem would be solved. Or connect the temperature control to something that actually influences room temperature.

Room Tip: All the upper floors have great views but there is a U of W building that faces the hotel on the wes...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, Seattle, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Michael K,

WOW!!! You LOVED it! Dynamite! That just made our day! We cannot wait to see you again. We are looking into alternative window ideas as well. I am not sure if we will have it corrected by the time you come back but we will hopefully have a solution soon.

Thank you again.

767 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Westlake Village, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The people were very helpful and made my experience easy and pleasant. (Especially Paul in Guest Services)They provide van service within five miles of the hotel which my the business potion of the trip much easier. Also, great location if you are visiting the University of Washington.

Room Tip: Great location to visit the University
Hello gilkessler,

“Excellent Hotel” just about says it all. I am thrilled you found the hotel to pleasant. Also, thank you for recognizing Paul from our bell team. Paul is one of our amazing team members who take great pride treating our guests to outstanding experiences. I will make sure he knows that you mentioned him.

Thank you again. We look forward to your next visit.

Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The Hotel Deca is not a cookie cutter corporate type of establishment so you should expect a little "quirkiness". The bathrooms are small but clean and with enough cubbies to contain the makeup and gear of two females. What the rooms don't have: however, is a chest of drawers or armoire. There is a "walk in closet" and two luggage racks so we hung our clothes up and left underwear, socks, ect in our bags. The cabinet that contains the tv could easily have accommodated drawers so we are at a loss as to why the hotel did not put them in. Most women, when staying more than two days, like to unpack, so this was the biggest negative for me. Otherwise, the staff was very easy to deal with, the place was clean and with good views from most rooms. I will stay there again.

Room Tip: If you can, get a mountain view.
zoodoerMZS,

I am so glad you found us to be such a great choice. That means a lot to us. It is true, we are not your typical hotel but as you alluded to you can count on a comfortable stay and an amazing staff. I am thrilled you would choose us again. That is the highest praise we can ever receive.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I teach some Saturday classes at UW and usually stay with friends in the area. But sometimes it's nice to get a break...and that's where Hotel Deca is a perfect choice. Not only does it have all the basics we want in a hotel: great location, friendly staff, very clean, comfortable bed, lots of hot water in the strong shower--but it's design and decor are unique. You're not in a standard cookie-cutter hotel. The Happy Hour is fun, full of interesting people including a guy at the bar in a sequined tux who claims to be 103! Breakfast, included in our package, was delicious. Hotel Deca is truly the best choice in the U District.

Room Tip: Get a corner room with a view of Mt. Rainier.
Hello annpulk,

Wow!!! The best choice in the U District!!!! Now that is a fantastic review!!! I am so glad you enjoyed the hotel and our staff. It is true, we are definitely not your cookie cutter hotel. I hope we get a chance to see you again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We just completed a two nights stay at the Hotel Deco. It seemed like a nice place and they gave us a good rate. (we were visiting the UW Hospital) I was with my 22 yr old daughter so I thought it would be a fun place for her. I didn't expect much but was hoping for a clean place with nice room and comfortable surroundings. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very nice young woman. She gave us a nice room on the 6th floor looking S.W. towards the skyline. (City view) It was a great view and we appreciated her doing that for us. The hotel is pretty much like the website shows. My daughter liked the art deco style and the lobby was comfortable with a nice fireplace. The room was decent sized with 2 double beds. My daughter liked "the look". (coffee maker, fridge, hair dryer, umbrella and microwave were all provided) The tv was decent sized but with just a so so analog signal. The bathroom was small but very clean and nicely decorated. The beds were decent and the lined fresh and plenty of pillows. The room was quiet and we got a good rest. We ate at the restaurant/bar the first night. We were too late to get to the restaurants around the hotel. We liked it. The service was slow but pleasant. The food was very good and the drinks were great. The bartender apologized for making the drink too strong! I told him that he didn't need to apologize but would appreciate it if he would make the same mistake for the second drink. He did! The hotel is older and a little dark. The hallways are narrow but well lit. Overall we enjoyed our stay. We really liked the staff. Very helpful and friendly. I recommend this hotel to anyone needing to stay at a nice place in a great location run by excellent folks.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view above the 4th floor if possible. Lake Union and the Space needle are beautiful a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Kanalta,

Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am so glad the staff helped make your visit truly enjoyable. I always tell our guests that we have one of the finest hotel teams in the city. It sounds like you were able to personally experience their dedication.

We look forward to your next trip.

Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

We checked in to save a little since we are here for at least a week for medical reasons. The hotel is very nice, easy to find and boasts a Tully's in the lobby. Our room had a great view and only lacked a refrigerator. To our surprise the bed was unbearable. We both hurt so badly we could hardly walk by morning. Several times a year we leave our cozy tempurpedic and travel. We don't expect that type of comfort, but this was incredible. If you are not bothered by soft beds, do stay here. We had no choice but to return to our higher priced room.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, Seattle, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Montanatravelagent,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent trip to Hotel Deca. While it seemed so many aspects of your trip were enjoyable the bed in your room left something to be desired. I have asked the Housekeeping Manager to look at the bed to see if it needs to be replaced. Sleeping in a hotel room can be difficult enough so the last thing we want is an uncomfortable bed. I assure you if the bed needs to be replaced will make the change.

Thank you again for letting me know about the bed. I am confident we will take the appropriate steps so that during your next trip you will have a restful and comfortable night sleep.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I originally chose Hotel Deca because of its proximity to the University of Washington where I was attending a conference for a couple days and was not disappointed, UW is a mere six minute walk from the Hotel and some eclectic restaurants.The Hotel itself I understand is quite old but you could tell very easily from the lobby, which seemed hip, although the some of the furniture could definitely be updated due to wear and tear. The beds were comfortable and the staff friendly.

Although I checked in rather late, around 1am on a Friday, the gentleman at the desk managed to give me an upgrade to a room with a view of the Space Needle that I had not originally booked since I tend to be on the thriftier side, so don't be afraid to ask what they can do for you as far as upgrades go. I would stay here again if my travels bring me back to the northwest.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for a room with a view or higher floor
Hello Grant E,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent trip to the hotel. I am glad the desk agent was not only able to find a room for you before our guaranteed check in time but he found a room with such a spectacular view. Our views are some of the best in the city. Not many hotels can boast that from many of the rooms you can see Mt. Rainier, the Downtown skyline, Lake Washington, and Lake Union. It is a real treat.

We look forward to your next trip to the hotel.

Sincerley,

Jonathan Bartlett

Been to Hotel Deca, Seattle? Share your experiences!