“Their website will mislead you. City view means parking lot” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Deca, Seattle

You added Hotel Deca, Seattle to your Saves list
Hotel Deca, Seattle
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4507 Brooklyn Avenue NE, Seattle, WA 98105 (University District)   |
Ranked #52 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
“Their website will mislead you. City view means parking lot”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Watch out for what you reserve. Do not assume you will get a nice city view or sky view. It could also be of a parking lot. You
May call them to say you wl arrive late. The person checking you in wlll not get the message. Drunk collegians will be in the lobby. You could be told they ate sold out and you wl be getting an upgrade. Then you will get a parking lot view. Enjoy this city view which you paid extra for.

• Stayed November 2012
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, Seattle, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Huskym

Thank you for your review. I am so very sorry you felt our website misled you. After reading your review I went onto our website because I was highly concerned that our room categories may not have created an accurate description of the views from our rooms. When I went to the reservation page I noticed the room category was actually labeled City Level not City view. I am confident the name does give an accurate description of the room however we will look at the description to see if we can tweak it so it is clearer. We never want a guest to feel misled so I can guarantee that if changes need to be made we will make them.

Thank you again for bring this to our attention.

Jonathan Bartlett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Dupont, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We booked a king bed city view room (higher price) through Expedia and called the day of arrival to let them know we would be arriving late that evening. Upon arrival we were told that we were getting the last available room in the hotel. It turned out that meant room 209 which was a double bed for one person with older fixtures and a mildew smell in the room (nothing like the pictures on the website). No comforter or blanket on the bed, just thin bed sheets. We found a comforter stuffed in the closet and put it on the bed ourselves. It was a little musty smelling, but we were tired, it was late and we just wanted to sleep. In the morning my wife went to make coffee in the coffee maker and an old moldy used coffee grounds pod was still sitting in it from who knows how long ago. Upon check out we complained about the room we received versus the price we paid and were told that Expedia does not guarantee the room requests. Sure enough after reading the fine print, she was correct. But...we still felt that we should not have been charged the higher rate if the room was not going to be available. At a minimum, credit the difference between the higher rate and the room we received. Lesson learned, Expedia will not guarantee the room availability and this hotel did not even provide a room that was meant for two people. Disappointed!

Room Tip: Book directly through the hotel if you want to guarantee the room you request.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear jkavery,

Thank you so much for letting me know about your recent experience at Hotel Deca. Clearly we did not make the impression we were hoping to make. Our goal is to treat all of our guests to the highest level of comfort we can. I am very sorry we did not meet this expectation during your visit. I did speak to the Housekeeping team and I can assure you we have taken the steps to ensure your concerns were corrected. This should not have occurred in the first place however since it did we took it as an opportunity to retrain the team.

I am also sorry about the issue with your Expedia reservation. While the fine print does allow some flexibility we always try to honor the reservation and room type that was originally reserved. I also always recommend looking at our website for fantastic rates and promotions. We normally have very similar promotions on our own website as we do on other travel websites like Expedia.

Thank you again for your comments. I do hope you try us again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

The only reason this hotel did not get a 1 star rating is because of the staff. They were very friendly and helpful. The food and shuttle service they have were also good. So than you may be asking why only three stars? Well the rooms are horrible......some are fixable and the main issue is not. I'll start with the fixable. I don't think I've ever been in a hotel that has so much wallpaper I looks like something my grandma that think she is stylish would have put 10 years ago even the hallways have it. There are signs of Peeling and bubbling. The light switch for the bathroom is not even in the bathroom and there's no lock on the bathroom door handle. The water pressure isn't great. Theres other little things but i want to talk about the main issue. OK the MAIN issue. The walls are super thin. You shouldn't be able to hear someone going to the bathroom in the next room but you do and I don't just mean hearing a toilet flush. You can hear everything from a person zipping up there suitcase to normal volume conversations(can't really make out what is being said thank God, I'm sure if I tried I could though). I guess they could fix this by giving there guests earplugs to wear anytime there in there rooms. I've read some of the other reviews and I see that the general manager response to every one of them. So I challenge this person to go in one of there rooms and have an employee go in the one beside it and see how much stuff you can actually hear.

I look forward to reading your response.

PS. I was on the 7th floor, don't think it would matter but you never know

• Stayed November 2012
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, Seattle, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear dannymb,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit. First I want to thank you for recognizing our amazing team. Our entire team strives to treat each guest to the highest level of service and care. Everyone is thrilled to read reviews where our guests recognize this sincere effort. I cannot thank you enough for recognizing them.

I wanted to take a moment and apologize for the issues that occurred during you visit. Thankfully one of the issues will be addressed in the renovation that is starting on December 3rd. We recognized that while the hotel has been well maintained, it is in need of updating. Thankfully the renovation to our guest rooms will address this and in the end we will have an amazing guest room and helps accentuate the art-deco vibe throughout the hotel.

I also wanted to let you know we recognize that noise can travel in between some of our guest rooms. As an older hotel, there are a few rooms where it is easier to hear the people in the room next to you. Clearly this is not an ideal situation and we are looking into what can be done to correct this. Unfortunately it is not as easy to correct because of the extensive piping and proximity of the rooms. I am confident however that we will find a solution in the near future.

Our renovation will be completed in early February. Please feel free to contact me after the renovation is complete. I would truly enjoy having you as my guest to see if I can create a more enjoyable experience for you. I am confident we will do what is necessary to make up for this previous visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Everything from our warm welcome upon our arrival to the shuttle service and our departure, everything was absolutely PERFECT! This Hotel is Seattles hidden treasure and we will most definitely be back.

Dear jesse6657,

I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write such a fantastic review. I assure you the entire team is on cloud 9 after reading your comments. The review has made its way around the hotel and everyone wants me to say THANK YOU!!! We cannot wait to see you again.

Best Wishes,

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Room was tiny. Walls were thin, you could hear everything, but heres the real thing: me and my friends got stuck in the elevator which apparently breaks down "every once in a blue moon" we were there, with out phones and no contact (we were trying to meet our friends in the lobby, they had no idea what happened to us) for an HOUR. by the end of it, we all needed to pee horribly. one of my friends was claustrophobic and actually had a complete meltdown. we weren't accommodated for anything, and we pretty much paid to be in that elevator while our friends left without us. the staff were pretty nice, but in the morning, when I asked to get accommodated, they actually yelled at me and in turn MADE ME CRY. I paid and left. A completely horrible experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, Seattle, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Emma C,

Thank you for taking the time to write about the incident with the hotel elevator. I am very sorry that you felt the staff did not handle the incident to your expectations. I assure you our guests are our number one priority and we will do whatever is needed to make a wrong situation right.

I think it is appropriate to tell the readers a little more about what happened that night. While it is true that the elevator did shut down what you failed to mention is that the reason why it shut down was because you and your friends were jumping violently up and down in the elevator while it was moving. Other guests actually heard the noise from the lobby. When a large amount of people are jumping up and down the elevator is designed to stop for the safety of the people in the elevator. It was very late at night and the elevator was stuck between floors we are required call the Fire Department which we did the moment we found out it stopped. While the fire department was driving to the hotel and while they were here you and your friends used extremely rude and abusive language to the staff and rescue team at the hotel. Although the language was highly abusive and offensive we continued to try and get you and your friends out as quickly as possible.

Additionally, I think it is important that we learned during your stay you and your friends were using drugs in the room. We also had a number of noise complaints from the rooms surrounding yours. A number of our other guests were unable to find their visits enjoyable because of the noise coming from your room.

I hope this creates a better and clearer understanding about why we did not feel any form of reimbursement was appropriate.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have mostly good things to say about the hotel. Great location in the University District. Fashionable, updated hotel in the Art-Deco style. Clean rooms and bathrooms with super comfortable beds and (even more important) pillows. I always bring my own toiletries on my trips, but this time I liked the ones provided by the hotel so much, I did not use mine. Both shampoo and conditioner were of great quality. As a matter of fact, nothing about his hotel seemed cheep to me. Everything was done with a good taste and a comfort in mind.

One drawback was the service. We had waited for 3 hours for the empty cups so we could drink some tea in our room. I had to call the front desk 3 times.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear axodessa,

WOW!!! What a review. Thank you so much. I am thrilled you had such a wonderful visit. I will take a look to see why it took so long for us to deliver cups to your room. Clearly this is something we can easily fix so that your next visit is flawless.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I was in Seattle for a business trip and my husband came to visit. We chose to stay at this hotel and thankfully they had an available room without us making a prior reservation. The price was great given the last minute decision ($135) and the room was fairly large, which was nice. I would definitely stay here again, if I return to Seattle. The only thing is, this is in the university district, so if you don't mind being near that (or if you're looking to spend most of your time in this area), it's a great location; but I didn't think it was all that close to downtown (certainly not walking distance).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Claire F,

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your review. I hope you had an enjoyable time in Seattle. It is wonderful to read that you would definitely stay here again. I assure you we will treat you to an even better visit during your next trip to the Deca.

Although we are just outside Downtown I hope you were able to take advantage of the hotel shuttle that runs to almost all the major attractions in Seattle. It is a fantastic option for those guests who either did not drive or just simply do not want to drive in our lovely Seattle traffic. I always recommend reservations because the shuttle can fill up quickly.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Jonathan Bartlett

Been to Hotel Deca, Seattle? Share your experiences!