“Not My First Choice” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Deca, Seattle

You added Hotel Deca, Seattle to your Saves list
Hotel Deca, Seattle
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4507 Brooklyn Avenue NE, Seattle, WA 98105 (University District)   |
Ranked #52 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
Vancouver
“Not My First Choice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Hotels located in the heart of Seattle were fully booked so we decided to give this location and hotel a try. To start - the hotel was nearly three-hours behind processing check-ins, causing us to miss the first half of the event we were supposed to attend. The lobby is quite nice, but parts of the hotel and rooms are somewhat dated, although the bedding was quite comfortable. It is a decent hotel, but between the cost of the rooms and the cost of getting taxis to get to/from the city there are definitely better options. Plus most hotels would have been more apologetic about being over two hours late with check-ins.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, Seattle, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Beancounter314,

I am so sorry your visit was not as enjoyable as you had hoped it would be. Clearly we did not make a very good first impression which is never a good way to start a getaway. I have already asked the managers why it took so long for your room to get ready. I am confident once we discovered what occurred we will correct the issue so it does not occur again. Also, I was very disappointed that our staff did not handle the check in appropriately. Clearly you were inconvenienced and we should have been more understanding and apologetic about that. We do have a wonderful team here who normally create truly wonderful experiences.

If you do see yourself coming to Seattle again in the future please do not hesitate to contact me. I would enjoy seeing if I can create the experience you were hoping for during this recent visit.

Jonathan Bartlett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Missoula
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

There was really nothing that justified the price of this room. Clean, pretty enough, but nothing special. No robe, not even a bath rug, and the coffee was just ok. The staff was very good, though - warm and helpful. Another good thing was the happy hour menu in the lounge - nice food, decent glass of wine, for a very reasonable price. I won't stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear aap2010,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am thrilled the staff and the restaurant were so enjoyable. I truly believe what sets us apart from other hotels in Seattle is our staff. They are outstanding and truly care about the guest’s experience.

With that, I am so sorry the rest of your visit was not as enjoyable as you would have liked. I assure you we never enjoy reading reviews like yours and will do what is necessary to ensure any issues are immediately corrected. Clearly there should have been a bathmat in the room. I will speak to our housekeeping department about what occurred. I am confident it was an oversight that will not occur again. Also, I recognize the coffee in the guest room is not up to the standard of the hotel. While we do have a fantastic coffee shop in the hotel, we will also be adding Starbucks coffee in all of our guest rooms during the first part of 2013. We do need to upgrade that and have already taken the steps to correct it.

Thank you again. I do hope you will consider us again. I believe your next experience will be much more enjoyable.

Ferndale, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We were going to be in the University District for an evening event, so we wanted someplace closeby to stay. Turns out that the Hotel Deca was very close and had good reviews, so we gave it a try. We only reserved the least expensive type of room, but when we arrived, the people in reception upgraded us without our asking to a larger room. We had a nice window with a sideways view of Mt. Ranier. (It was even clear on a late September visit - wow!)

The room was very clean and nicely decorated. the bathroom was a little cramped, but you expect that in a redone old hotel. The beds would have been fine for any normal person, but I like to sleep pretty cool, and the pillowtop mattress was too hot for me. Fortunately, there was a small couch in the window nook, so I just slept there and was fine.

My only real complaint was that the room was a little noisy, both from street noise and from other rooms. Our shower "sang" whenever it was on, so I'm sure we contributed to the noise level in other rooms. All in all, it was a manageable level, so I'm only dinging them one star for that.

The personnel were friendly and competent. Check-in and check-out were quick and accurate. We had to ask for a third set of coffee things for our adult daughter, but they were delivered quickly.

We would recommend this hotel, and plan to come again if we have business in that part of town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, Seattle, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you Kathair for taking the time to write about your visit. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and we were able to upgrade you to a larger room. I will have our engineer take a look at the shower in your room. While some people like to sing in the shower the shower head usually just listens and should not join in.

Thank you again. We look forward to your next trip to the hotel.

Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Amazing! Before arriving, I emailed asking about a nearby salon to do hair and makeup for me since I was attending a wedding. Moe Aoki gave me information and suggested Swink in University Village - LOVED it! One of the best parts of my trip was the welcoming of the staff. I recently stayed at another hotel in Chicago for a wedding and had a completely different experience and will never stay at that hotel again. Deca is the opposite and I can't wait until I go back to Seattle to stay at Deca again! The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel has a vintage flair - which I love. It also has a cafe downstairs that makes a great skinny caramel macchiato and has a great view of the city. Cannot really express how much the staff made my stay enjoyable. Will definitely be going back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Bdb0051,

Thank you so much for taking the time to recognize our amazing team. I always tell people we have the best staff in Seattle. I will make sure I take the time to show them your review. I know it will make their day.

Thank you again. We cannot wait to see you again.

Portland, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel is very close to the University, and across the street from The Neptune theatre. Several restaurants and bars within a few blocks, and a Safeway about 3 blocks away. It is kept up quite well and that staff are extremely helpful. Room has standard flatscreen TV, plus dvd player and clock radio with iPod/iPhone mount on top, as well as adequate speed WiFi. I will definitely stay again on my next visit to Seattle.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Hello Mark M,

Thank you so much for your review. I am thrilled to learn you enjoyed your visit. We look forward to the opportunity to have you as our guest again during your next trip to Seattle.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I tried Priceline's name your price deal and end up with this hotel for our Monday night football/sightseeing of Seattle trip. Although it didn't seem like the ideal location when first book, it turned out to be ok.

We stayed 3 nights and it is located near the university so there were many shops, restaurants and bars in the neighbourhood. The buses downtown also were express so it was quick to travel to and from without worrying about parking or driving. We did drive down from Edmonton so were a bit disappointed that the parking was extra - although not clearly indicated under the description. This may be more a Priceline issue though vs hotel as I checked the hotel site after we arrived. It wasn't hugely expensive, especially considering what the costs for parking downtown.

Priceline recommended calling the hotel to confirm the room type. I did this and asked for a room with a king size bed. The reservation desk confirmed they would ensure I was in a king room after pulling up the reservation. When we arrived at the hotel, the reception told me that Priceline only books doubles but I could upgrade to a king for $15 or $20 depending on the floor. I explained that I had called the reservation desk about it. She apologized and said they didn't and it would be extra. Slightly annoying since I did have to call long distance to speak to the reservation desk, and their own website doesn't show a double as an option - so not sure about her honesty.

The room was decent. We were on the 5th floor corner facing downtown. The bed was comfortable and there was a sofa and good size television. There was also a DVD player although we did not use it. The WiFi and high speed internet were good. Loved having a cafe attached to the hotel. We also liked the fact that soft music was playing when we came into the room.

I consider hotels as a place to leave my things and sleep. This hotel worked for me on this level. There are a few things to note before making your decision on this hotel or at least consider:

Our first night we could hear our neighbours and people in the hall when they came in. We figured out the ventilation systems in the bathroom were attached, which is why we could hear them. We didn't hear them the next two nights, closing the bathroom door helped.

Bathroom was small and there was no fan or window so after taking a shower, you had to wait awhile to use the mirror. Plus there was no counter space for personal toiletries. I was used to the size having stayed at other older properties renovated similar. However my husband wasn't and called it a closet bathroom. The toilet by the door was a bit annoying as it was very close. The only other disappointing thing were the pillows. My husband commented that he had wished he had brought his own. They were not the best and if you are a side sleeper, you will develop a sore neck.

I would stay here again but perhaps would try their website for the booking as they seem to have specials and several room options. I have also learned that I should check out the hotels Priceline brings up to ensure no surprises.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear RedDaisy007,

Thank you or taking the time to write about your recent visit. I am very sorry about the confusion surrounding your room type. Considering you took the time to call we should have done our part and ensured the room was reserved for you. I will also take a look at the pillows in the room you stayed in. We normally have positive responses about our bedding package. It could be that the pillows just need to be replaced.

I also wanted to let you know that in December we will be renovating our guest rooms. I am excited because we recognize the lack of shelf space in our bathrooms so the renovation will address this issue head on. I am confident once the bathrooms are completed this will no longer be a concern.

Surrey,BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

stayed 1 night for Monday night football. The hotel is located in nice spot with restaurants and bars close by. The room we had was on the second floor and was a corner room. The room had a nice comfy king size bed, large flat screen tv, dvd player, ipod clock radio, safe, desk and chair, coffee maker with wolf gang puck coffee, blow dryer, even a iron and ironing board. the room was clean and comfortable. It is not very quiet and you do hear most of what is happening in the hallways etc.. The staff is excellent and I must say very friendly and helpful. It is about 6 miles to the stadium and we were giving a ride there from the hotel shuttle. Cab ride back was $18 and there is a bus you can also take. Overall I would stay there again and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, Seattle, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Hello carey44,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very glad you had such a good time. Hopefully the controversy at the end of the game did not diminish your visit.

We hope to see you again during your next trip to Seattle. Next time we will change the title of your post from “decent stay” to “great stay”.

Jonathan Bartlett

Been to Hotel Deca, Seattle? Share your experiences!