“Good hotel, poor breakfast!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown/South Lake Union

You added SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown/South Lake Union to your Saves list
SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown/South Lake Union
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 Yale Ave., Seattle, WA 98101   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #53 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
Vancouver, Canada
“Good hotel, poor breakfast!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

Myself and my partner stayed here for a weekend. Parking was about $20 per night.
The hotel itself seemed nice and clean, staff were friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and the bed was comfy. We overlooked I-5 so not a great view, but we didn't spend much time in the hotel room.

The hotel was a little out of the way, but saying that we walked everywhere. There is a courtesy shuttle bus provided by the hotel which takes you to various places, but you have to book a place on it well in advance. The receptionist was very helpful and told us where to get the ublic transport bus, what bus to catch etc to get downtown. The bus stop is only around the corner from the hotel, and public transport is cheap enough. We walked back from the space needle and it took us 30 mins at a moderate pace.

The thing that I found most disappointing about the hotel was the breakfast. There was a good choice of food available, but probably the worst breakfast ever. It was either cold, rubbery, or swimming in grease depending on what you ate. We skipped breakfast the second morning and ate out.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

I've stayed here several times and never been disappointed. Not in the downtown core (about a half mile away) but closer to Capitol Hill. Booked at seattlesupersaver.com (and got a better rate than on Marriott.com, even with AAA). Got my favorite room (facing north). Some rooms are too close to I-5 or city streets. Room was spotless. Service was great. FREE use of the 24 Hour Fitness across the street. Nice breakfast. Alot of families here. I'm a picky traveller but can't find anything to criticize with this stay.

• Stayed July 2009
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

We read the reviews and thought that it was worth a try especially since we were only staying for the night.

First, the rate was cheap compared to other hotels that are "downtown" - technically this place is a good 15-20 minute walk into downtown. The Mariott has a Best Rate guarantee and I went from paying $150 for a King Suite to $89 for a King Suite (excluding taxes). I found the better rate on the Seattle Tourism Board website and Mariott quickly recognized and beat the cheaper deal....so we're off to a good start.

Location:
Hotel is beside the I-5. There's a lot of one-way streets so it was hard to find the right street to turn onto. Therefore, take the Stewart Exit and stay in the left hand lane. Yale Avenue is like the 2nd intersection. I strongly recommend requesting at check-in for a room furthest from the freeway and as high as you can. We stayed with our 9-month old daugther and she slept so well during the night and I attribute that to our room - 726.

It definitely appears to be in an up and coming area - new condos being developed, great little shops towards the REI - but there was a shady patch near the bus depot along Stewart. I felt totally safe walking around during the day but I would prefer to take a taxi or use the Free Hotel Shuttle at night. Make sure you reserve the shuttle first.

Parking:
$20 per night for valet parking but you get in/out privileges. I would suggest calling 10 minutes ahead when you pick up your car. Once we called three times and even had to ask the front desk to check if anyone was there.

You do get a hot breakfast - sausages, egg, waffles, toast, muffins, bagels, coffee, tea, juice - but get there when it starts. It was already packed by the time we went down which was just 5 minutes past the opening time. We didn't try the pool but my husband and brother-in-law did use the 24 Hour Fitness pass (it's across the street beside a Starbucks) and really liked the facility.

Room:
Wow, a King Suite was great. Only downfall was you get a "privacy wall" which is just a short slab of drywall that just separates your face from the rest of the room while you sleep. We got a mini-fridge (freezer didn't really work, just kept things cool), a microwave, sink and even a dishcloth. It was spacious for 3 adults but once you unfold the sofa bed there's not much room for our buggy or even a crib.

The decor is like any other hotel chain - clean with some patterns. You get free wireless or plug-in Internet and there's a flat screen tv. I felt the bed was too hard but my husband thought it was great, so go figure.

Summary:
For the price we paid, we had an excellent time. We were within walking distance to downtown where all the shops and restaurants are, Pike Place, and REI. We had free Internet and breakfast and the exit to I-5 South is literally around the corner.

Just make sure you look around for a cheaper deal to take advantage of their Best Rate Guarantee.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

I perused TripAdvisor for weeks before choosing Springhill Suites in Seattle.

Here are my issues:
* We booked a King Suite. It is listed as a two room suite. To me, two rooms means that the rooms are separate. This is not the case. There is a giant doorway between the bedroom and the living room. There is just one television on a small dresser in this doorway and it turns towards the bed or towards the couch. I booked this room because my husband always wakes up before me and likes to watch TV without disturbing me. Not this time.
* The area around the hotel is not a nice part of the city. We did not feel comfortable walking around. We were very far from the tourist attractions; not walking distance at all.
This is a big concern for me.

Here are my praises:
* The ladies at the front desk are very friendly yet professional. We felt welcomed. In fact, all the staff members we encountered were very courteous.
* There is a free shuttle from 7 am to 9 pm, every hour on the hour, that takes guests to The Convention Center, Space Needle, or Pike Place Market.
* Free in-room WiFi internet...always nice.
* Great view of the Space Needle from our room.
* Free breakfast.

Other info:
* Parking is $20. I like free parking better, but so be it.
* There is a mini-fridge and microwave in the room.
* There is a small indoor pool and a jacuzzi.
* The exercise room consists of two treadmills and one elliptical machine.
* There is a business center with a computer and printer.

We would not stay at this hotel again only because of the room configuration and the distance to the attractions that brought us here.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Maui, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

I just read the trip report of the people who satyed over the same weekend we did (4th July 2009 weekend) Everyone in our party of 6 loved this hotel.
Here is a mini summery of our stay.

mini trip report about the hotel.

First off whoever said they wouldnt recommend this hotel was just a bit off in my opinion.

We had a great time at this hotel.

The only charge per night is a 20 dollar a night parking charge...no biggie.(its a BIg city and Ive seen 60 dollar a night charges before)

We got 2 rooms thru Priceline for 65 each, 3 nights amenities incuded an indoor pool and hot tub, free wireless or free computer use and printers in their business center FREE buffet breakfast each morning (GOOD) good selection of Fresh and Buffet foods eggs sausage bisquits yogurts breads cereal orange apple juice milk coffee etc

The lobby was just recently remodeled and it looks like a 4* quality lobby. VERY Impressive remodel!!
Every employee was as nice as can be and very professional,

On sundays they have an appetizer promotion (2.50) and they were GREAT KOBE beef sliders/Chix Skewers Poke,,,,,pan asian spicy noodles... everything was GREAT.

The rooms are basic but nice enough and large.

Its listed as a 2.5* hotel but really is a 3.5* hotel.

Its and incredible deal

We even got a Space Needle View from our rooms.

I would Highly Recommend this Fine Mariott Property!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Milton Keynes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

Stayed over the 4th July weekend, so the hotel was busy. Check-in was easy and friendly enough. I had a room facing the highway, which was a bit noisy, but the glazing cushioned it quite well. The room was a generous size, with amenties to aid in self catering if you prefer. However, although the bath tub has a "non-slip" surface for taking a shower, it is still lethally slippery in my opinion. On calling down for a non-slip mat, I was told there were non left as they had all been 'lent' out to other guests...The bathroom and basin areas are seperate which is quite a good idea, but the bath soap and shampoo are left by the basin for some strange reason, meaning if you forget them, you need to take a slippery wet walk out to fetch them????? On the occasions we needed something, the staff seemed not be as responsive or receptive to the enquiry as one would like, but there was one lady (from UTAH according to her badge) who seemed to be the best of the bunch for me.
Like I said it was 4th Jul weekend, so breakfast was extra busy. Nevertheless I was a little disappointed by the selection, which seemed to be limited somewhat. they ran out of waffle mix early on, and they couldn't bus the tables quickly enough. Also, I did 'catch' some of the staff exiting the kitchen actively chewing on something, which was very unprofessional.
We had a late flight, meaning that we had to check-out whilst they secured our bags for the afternoon. On our return, we enquired about if there somewhere we could freshen up, and the staff recommended the Gym across the street, which hosts guests of the hotel free of charge. However, when we asked about towels, we were told the gym SOLD towels. There was no effort by the staff to get a couple of their towels for us to use, and it was only on our suggestion that there may be some in the hotel pool area, that they though it was a logical idea. Even so, they expected us to go and get them although i felt they should have tried to do all they could to aid us. As a Marriot Silver Elite member, I expected more from the staff servicewise and this was the most disappointing thing.
Starbucks/Subway across the street shut on weekends. Long walk from downtown area, hence one reason I wouldnt choose here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Ridgefield, wa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

Stayed here with my husband and 2 boys (7 & 10). Our room was clean and overlooked the street. The hotel is right next to the freeway, I was not bothered by the freeway noise but, my husband was somewhat. If your a light sleeper I suggest requesting a room on the west end. that may help.
There are limited resteraunts in the area, a subway across the street, pizza delivery and room service, the menu had a seafood/mexican flare and I thought it was resonably priced. But, there are more resteraunts within walking distance. And I thought it was no big deal, and we generally ate while sightseeing anyhow.
The hotel provides a free shuttel on the hour that takes you to the Space needle area. and from there one could take many of the free transit buses to get to other places.
Our kids liked the pool although it was majorly clorinated. There's a shower in the pool area, I suggest using it. FYI, the hot tub is blazing hot!
The breakfast buffet was very good w/eggs, sausage, cereal, fruit, pastrys, and a waffle station. I thought it was great concidering it's free.
The staff was very nice and when we decided to stay an extra night they gave it at the price we paied the previous nights. We payed 99.00 for the first night and 109.00 for the two other nights. A great deal that I booked though the Seattle Visitors bearu website.
All in all, we were vey pleased with our stay expecially at the rate we got.
Hope this was somewhat helpful.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown/South Lake Union? Share your experiences!