“biohazardous! do not enter!” 1 of 5 stars

Eighth Avenue Inn
2213 8th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98121 (Belltown)   |
Ranked #85 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
Vancouver Island, Canada
“biohazardous! do not enter!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

My friend and I, being young people, decided to save a few bucks on our hotel to save more for our shopping trip that brought us to Seattle. NEVER AGAIN! We ordered TWO queen beds when booking, was told this was fine when I booked and then called to CONFIRM the whole thing, then ended up with ONE tiny double bed. There was a stained nasty pull out couch; however, this did not come with any sheets and we arrived late at night and didn't feel like asking the dirty, gangster looking staff to bring some. Had to wear flip flops in the shower...and didn't dare go anywhere near the bathroom walls! Come on..I've seen cleaner /nicer youth hostels!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

My reviews tend to be on the optimistic side, so it means quite a lot that I'm giving this property only 1 star. I'll concede that the staff was decently friendly during check-in. But I booked my room before I'd heard of Tripadvisor, so nothing prepared me for the less-than-ideal experience staying there. Despite my requesting a non-smoking room, the previous guest apparently had smoked heavily, with the hotel making no attempt to flag it as perhaps inappropriate for a non-smoker like myself. There was no way to prevent the smell from getting all over my clothes, etc. After some polite complaints, I was given a 10% discount, but the front desk employee said he couldn't change my room without his manager's authorization (and the manager's shift had already ended.) The smoking issue aside, the rest of the property was also not in the best shape. There were faded logos for the Motel 8 chain, and my travel partner surmised that the hotel must have been kicked out of the franchise for failing their quality standards! Thankfully we had only planned to stay in Seattle for one night, as we were on our way to Vancouver, so we didn't have to look for another hotel. And I'm also thankful that I've now discovered Tripadvisor, which has allowed me to avoid properties like this while travelling in other cities.

• Liked — Can't really think of any. Maybe students on a really tight budget would find this place suitable, but it's not even the cheapest in Seattle
  • Disliked — Everything, but the smoking situation was the worst
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

This was the worst hotel I have ever seen, for 4 Reasons:

1. Was acosted by a drunk black man outside the hotel asking me for money and would not leave me alone until i gave him $3.

2. Motel seems like a place to take prostitutes. Judging by the people hanging around the lobby.

3. Room is disgusting, floors are filthy, bed is infested with bed bugs. I immediately became itchy after lying on the bed.

4. Outside the window (which is secured shut) was a dumpster that stank like rotting food. I could smell it even with the windows closed.

LONG STORY SHORT, I IMMEDIATELY LEFT TO STAY AT SOMEWHERE ELSE. TRYING TO SAVE MONEY ON HOTEL WAS THE WORST DECISION EVER.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Leaving it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Disliked — Everything!!!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
loyalinnSeattle, Front Office Manager at Eighth Avenue Inn, responded to this review, November 22, 2008
I'm sorry you had such a negative experience with the property. We do our best to keep our guests happy, so if you can contact us again I'd be happy to address any concerns with you personally. We would like to show you that we do run a hotel that many people can be happy to stay at.

Security on our premises is a top priority and we employ security personnel to patrol the property. We also have a major reputable pest control company that come on a regular basis for preventative measures as well as addressing anything immediate, if anything like that were to come up.

We're not sure how those issues arose during your experience, but we strive to make our guests as comfortable as possible and would like any input you would like to give us.
columbus, ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

Priceline "hooked me up" with this hotel. I should have been more careful. I can't complain about the location, it was pretty central to all of the fun in Seattle. The room, on the other hand, was pretty scary. At first it seemed normal enough-- clean sheets, clean towels, not pretty but no complaints.

Then I got bedbug bites. After 3 nights I am covered in bedbug bites. I was too embarassed to complain about it and I had a feeling they'd make me take it up with Priceline anyways.

The sheets were damn near toxic and I think they also gave me a rash. It smelled really weird and it had really nasty carpet.

Anyways, if you want a cheap room close to the action and you don't care about your skin, this is your hotel.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the sheets and overall experience
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
loyalinnSeattle, Front Office Manager at Eighth Avenue Inn, responded to this review, November 10, 2008
I sorry you had such a negative experience at out hotel. We take pest problems very seriously and had we known we would have taken immediate action. Though it is usually true that booking through a 3rd party company like priceline makes you subject to their policies, we like to make all efforts to keep our guests happy including reasoning with these companies to get what is fair. If you would like us to try working something out for you please contact us at the hotel and we will make all efforts to show you that we will do our best to keep our guests happy.
Portland, OR
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

I made reservations at this hotel based on their website. The pictures are really deceiving, and do not at all reflect the real condition of the hotel. Sure wish I would have checked around!

The first room we were given was not was we had reserved. The second one wasn't either and was infested with monstrous cockraoch looking bugs.

Just one word for this one: Eeeeeeew!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Europe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

This hotel is within convenient waking distance to Downtown Seattle (about 10 minutes from the Hotel which itself is in a not very attractive area, but if you're on a budget, you might find that not too bad). There are also some nice coffee shops and a Whole Foods market right around the corner (on Westlake).

But DO NOT expect spectacular Skyline views or any great atmosphere out here. There might be some intresting views from the rooms with a patio but even then it's mainly huge parking-area-car-dealership-atmosphere in the surrounding blocks, despite some trees). We never felt anything close to unsafe, though.

This place is ok to have some sleep and a shower and then hang out in the city most of the time, not more. The official website photos tell you - as in most spaces - not the whole story.

We stayed there three nights (1st floor, usually very noisy from staff working and people outside by the parking spots; room 105 is facing the laundry which is a big noise source) and then one night on the 2nd floor a week later, this time on the back side which was somewhat more quiet. You could, however, always clearly hear noises from rooms around ours. So, take earplugs with you.

The rooms are OK at first sight (not more, let's say there are slightly under the level of usual 60$-motel averages in rural areas and clearly under newer chain motels), but they definitely would need some touch up or lower pricing. There are no terrible "holes", I guess, but it's all far from super-comfy.

Bathrooms are OK, but you'd expect more quality and space for the price. Some mold on the ceiling, not too much though. One leaking water tap, water flowing down the shower drain only very slowly, toilets OK. The beds are OK. It just all has that 70s-style-look-and-feel somehow. A/C in one of the rooms looked messy (dust, missing switches). Some not-so-hidden spots in the room haven't been vacuumed in weeks. No big eye on details in this facility!

The TVs didn't work properly in either rooms - a channel listing with 99 stations isn't worth anything if there are only five snow-stormy channels available. During the first stay we asked three times to have it fixed - the last night, there was a note from the maintenance guy "I replaced the TV, seems to work better, sorry for the inconvenience" - OK, that is charming, but I'd expect more. And even after the "fixing" channel reception was awful. And any technician should see that the loose TV cable wire needed to be fixed, not the TV set. Staff besides that was average friendly, not more, but no problems here.

Wireless reception was poor in both rooms (lots of outages), and it's a slow network.

Bottom line: I guess there are better places for that price. We gave them a second chance since prices dropped after labour day, but no positive surprises unfortunately. Average to below average place, just conveniently located, that's it.

• Liked — Its location, free newspaper
  • Disliked — Lack in details like stains on ceiling, old A/C, no proper TV etc.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
brooklyn, ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

Our stay at this hotel was above average until we woke up eaten up the next morning! Dozens of bedbug bites all over our bodies! The worst part is that now that we're back home, we have to make sure our house doesn't get infested with bedbugs. What a way to end a vacation.....

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Eighth Avenue Inn? Share your experiences!