“Fairly average, tough to get problems fixed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 97 Hotels in Seattle
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Fairly average, tough to get problems fixed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I booked one of the hotel's specialty suites -- basically conventional suites with a thematic decor. We ended up in the Pacific Northwest Ballet suite -- its decor was basically just a bunch of black and white photos of dancers -- despite being told we'd have a different suite. Not a huge problem, even though it took a lot of the fun away that we expected when we upgraded our room choice.

What was a problem, though, was that someone had clearly spent a lot of time smoking in the suite before we checked in (these are non smoking rooms and the hotel is an entirely non-smoking hotel). There was a stale smoke smell, reminiscent of a $20 skid row hotel room. In addition to making the room disgusting, it also provoked my allergies.

I complained when I arrived and they said they would do some ozone treatment to mitigate the smell. It had no effect, and I had a pretty bad night of sleep.

When I complained again they again said they could treat the room and it'd clear up any issues (it was unclear if they actually treated the room the first time, apparently). Again, didn't help.

The third time I complained the front desk didn't have any ideas on how to fix the problem, so I just flat out asked to be moved to a different room. There weren't any available until the next day, and we'd have to pack up and store our stuff during the day while they cleaned the replacement room since they apparently needed our room to give to someone else.

So the next day we moved to a different suite, which was not a specialty suite (again, the primary reason we upgraded our room), and in general a downgrade. Except it didn't smell like a cheap motel, so that was nice.

It was frustrating that I ended up spending several nights in a room where I was unable to sleep well and couldn't spend much time in the room. Even more annoying was the general apathy of helping the situation; after a few nights and no improvement I shouldn't have to request a new room and I shouldn't end up in a worse room because a prior guest was a jerk. And while I guess I appreciate them waiving one night of parking in response to my problems, it felt like a lackluster response. Stay somewhere else.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
jenne_neptune, General Manager at Alexis Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
As we strive to constantly improve, it is constructive feedback like this that motivates and gives us direction. I am SO sorry to see that rather than exceeding your expectations we fell short. We pride ourselves on creating a truly unique hotel experience- I invite you to reach out to me personally at jenne.neptune@alexishotel.com so that we might regain your trust in the Alexis. Thank you for being our guest, and I hope we’ll get to show you the full potential of the Alexis your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

We had 2 rooms at the Alexis for 3 nights and I must commend Kimpton on a fine product. The location, rooms, service, decor, well everything...was wonderful.
I had a slight hiccup with the overnight shoe shine service (a very nice feature by the way) and brought it to the attention of Katelynn the Front Office Manager. Katelynn couldn't have been more empowered, thoughtful and accommodating in reconciling the issue...and with a sincere desire to do so! Rarely do I witness this type of service and I've been fortunate to stay in top hotels throughout the world.
Thank you, Katelynn, the Alexis staff and Kimpton - I will certainly be back!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
jenne_neptune, General Manager at Alexis Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
This review is a great example of what Kimpton properties strives off of! We pride ourselves in our staff and their capacity for great, above and beyond service. I'm happy to hear that Katelyn was this very thing for you. I hope that the Alexis becomes a home away from home for you on your trips to Seattle. We look forward to your next visit with us!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

We just arrived home from our stay at Alexis Hotel. I want to go back already. Everything from start to finish was great. Like so many other comments, the hotel staff so friendly and eager to help with anything from bags to directions to church.
I highly recommend signing up for Kimpton Rewards if you haven't already (it's free). If you are a member you get free wifi and a $10 raid the mini bar which can be used in the bar for a drink if you don't find anything you want in the minibar.
The hotel is beautiful. Very modern meets vintage (think elegant NYC). We stayed in the spa suite. Very spacious. The bathroom is huge. Even if you never use the spa tub, it's nice to have all that space to get ready.
My only complaint is the wifi in the room. I was only able to get a decent signal in the bathroom.
A must stay in Seattle! Close to just about everything. If you find a good deal, just pick this hotel and you won't be sorry.

• Stayed October 2013
What a great way to describe the hotel! I like the modern meets vintage feel. Thank you for promoting our Kimpton In-Touch program. It really is pretty fantastic! And we do apologize for the wifi. This issue has been brought up in the past before and it is something that we are strongly looking into. Well I am happy to know that you will be back to the Alexis for your future Seattle stays. Till next time!
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed here in mid-October for a cenference. The hotel is fairly nice and its location is difficult to beat! Its just down the street from Pike Place market so we went there for breakfast each morning and sometimes just to hang out / shop. My only qualm is that the hotel is overpriced for what you get. But it was difficult to find anything cheaper in downtown Seattle and I'd probably stay here again, especially if I can find some way to get a break on the price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to fill out this review for us! I know rates can tend to be high when the city has major events happening in it. I'm happy to see that this did not take away from your visit to Seattle. I hope that you try us out again. Till next time!
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I am now a big fan of Kimpton hotels! This hotel is located in downtown Seattle only steps away from Pike Place Market. There are many wonderful restaurants to choose from in the vicinity. The small bar in the hotel is extra cozy with great food also.
I can't say enough about how helpful and friendly the staff are. We had an issue with the air conditioner in our room and maintenance was there in 15 min. When the air conditioner was unable to be fixed they were more than helpful in getting us another room. Customer service is top notch at Alexis hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
We snagged another one! So happy to hear that you are now a Kimpton fan. It's also good to hear that our staff was "top notch" with your a/c problem. Thank you for understanding that our building is historic and can have blemishes from time to time. We hope to have you back for your next Seattle adventure!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed in the spa suite for my honeymoon and had an excellent time. The room was amazing. Great view, and very spacious. The service was very friendly and helpful, our TV remote wasn't working and within 20 minutes it was fixed. During that 20 minutes my wife and I enjoyed the free wine happy hour! It happens everyday. The location is one of the best parts, we walked to the ferry, all sorts of attractions downtown like the theater and Ferris wheel, and pike's market. A great hotel from every angle, for anyone visiting Seattle and wanting to see all the different flavors of the city it is the perfect pick.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
jenne_neptune, General Manager at Alexis Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
First off, congrats on the honeymoon!! So glad you two were able to spend it with us! I'm happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of our daily wine hour while we were fixing the remote issue. That seems to be the best way to pass some time! Thank you for being our guests, and we look forward to your next visit.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed here over July 4th weekend and this was our first visit to a Kimpton hotel. Location was perfect -- we took light rail from the airport, got off at the University St. station, and only had to walk 2-3 blocks. It's also just a few blocks to Pike Place Market, and 1 block away from the walkover to the ferry terminal. Our room was large, bathroom was a good size, and the bed was comfortable. And there were leopard print robes in the closet! We didn't have a good view, but we didn't ask for one. The staff is super and it was fun to see them hanging out with a guest's dog (who seemed right at home). We would definitely return and now we're looking at Kimptons in other cities.

Room Tip: If a view is important to you, be sure and ask for one. Our room faced straight into the wall of the...