“Not all Kimptons are the same” 3 of 5 stars

Save Up To 20%
Ranked #7 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, Canada
“Not all Kimptons are the same”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Since I was such a huge fan of the Kimpton Hotel Monaco in Portland, I decided to stick with the Kimpton group and book the Alexis Hotel in downtown Seattle, 4.5 blocks from the Pike Street Market, to try out over the March springbreak.

The hotel was nice looking and the valet staff were very helpful but the overall customer service was just not as great as the ones received at the Monaco in Portland. I booked the room with the queen bed and it was very spacious and comfy. Our outside view was overlooking an alley, so not fancy at all but that's ok as I never requested for any upgrade. At 5pm they served free wine and an appie ... 1 appie - some sort of risotto ball, tasty but, when they run out, that's it ... so I feel bad for those who don't arrive right a 5pm as you won't get anything more ...

I guess the customer service that I received from Portland's Monaco was just so different and over the top from what I received in Seattle that I had to mention it. Would I rebook the Alexis again, probably not, but I would definitely rebook the hotel Monaco.

Anyway, the hotel location was close to the Pike Street Market, which was good because parking is hard to find and since I already paid $40 for valet parking at the hotel, I didn't want to move my car as I wanted to walk everywhere.

The location was important for me as I booked a gourmet walking tour of the Pike Street Market. This gourmet tour was ran by Savor Seattle Tour. Our Gourmet Tour Guide(s) were super friendly and totally knowledgeable on the history of the market. But best of all, we got to try some pretty tasty samples of food from the food stalls that we visited. I recommend this tour for those that want to try something different besides just shopping in the vincinity of Seattle. My fave spot was the Pear Deli and we went back the next morning to have our breakfast there. Once again, I packed a lot in because I chose a good location hotel, which is important based on what you want to do when traveling, right?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
jenne_neptune, General Manager at Alexis Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
I'm sorry to hear we didn't meet your expectations--we are known for going above and beyond for our guests, and wish that had been your experience with us. Please feel free to email me at jenne.neptune@alexishotel.com if there are any specifics about why our service fell short for you that you would like to discuss, or perhaps what we could do in the future to better your stay. Take care, Jenne Neptune, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Malibu, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I have been traveling the coastlines of California, Oregon, and Washington for a month with our eight month old Portugese Water Dog, visiting friends and relatives mostly. But when we need a hotel we try to find a Kimpton whenever possible because of the general awesomeness of the staffs and great vibes and value AND because they all take the term "dog-friendly" quite literally. The Alexis, however, takes the prize for us - the front desk staff happily watched our pup while we listened to the Firebird performed by the Seattle Symphony last night and then again today while we checked out the Seattle Art Museum for several hours. By the way, both within a few blocks of the hotel. Happy puppy, happy owners!

AND, as Kimpton 'In Touch' members, they gave us a free upgrade to a huge comfortable premiere king suite. Five stars are not enough as far as we are concerned. Love every Kimpton we've been in.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nothing makes the front desk as happy as a puppy visitor. Thanks for the Kimpton love!
San Marino, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

After poking around Seattle all day, it's really important to have a welcoming place to come "home" to. The staff at the front desk are professional, yet engaging and there to make your stay comfortable. What do you want to know about Seattle? They'll either know, or find out. Housekeeping is immaculate. Interior design is simple and elegant. Beds are comfortable. Don't miss the bar -- it's fun and comfortable. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
The Bookstore Bar might be small, but it's one of the best parts of the Alexis- be sure to try the clam chowder next visit!
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We booked this hotel because they offered a suite which has double French doors that close off the bedroom from the main area, which makes it more comfortable when travelling with children.

We were booked into the Author's Suite (#322), which was gorgeous. The living area is vast, complete with a library, fireplace, large dining table, pull-out sofa, large screen TV (another in the bedroom), Keurig coffee maker, etc. The Mini Bar is overpriced, but if you join the Kimpton loyalty program, they at least reward you with a $10 off coupon, which is ironically named "Raid the Mini Bar". Ha! For $10 we got a bag of chips and pack of gum. :) Also be aware that almost nothing on the television is free: most programs are $6.99. And overnight parking is $40. So while it appeared at first that the price of their suites were very reasonable, be aware of these added fees.

The bedroom area itself was rather small (but beautiful), and the thermostat is located within the sleeping quarters, which means that if you have children sleeping on the pull-out sofa in the larger living area, you will be toasty warm while they are freezing. The solution is to either crank up the heat in the bedroom, or open the doors and give up your privacy. We chose instead to give up our blankets and pile them on our lads, who slept comfortably.

The jets in the tub are quite strong (too strong for my preference), but the switch to turn it on/off is located on the other side of the wall. So we set the timer, and just dealt with it (rather than getting out of the warm tub to turn it off). The bathtub had a minor area where the finish was peeling but other than that, the bathroom was spotless.

The rest of the suite was also pristine and spotless, other than a couple of details. My older son was curious about the books, and so removed one to peruse it further, and noticed an empty bottle of champagne behind it. Not a big deal.

However, upon checkout, I let the staff know that the linens in room 322 were dirty. There was a stain on the exterior sheet (it appeared to be blood)as well as another stain on the white down comforter (possibly chocolate or dirt). In such an otherwise upstanding hotel, this is truly unacceptable.

Had it not been for these minor details, this would have been a 5-star experience. The staff was very helpful, friendly, welcoming, and kind. From the parking attendants to the front desk, every single person was warm and genuinely concerned about how they could help. One of the staff members recommended a coffee house down the street (Cherry Street Coffee) which was outstanding. And when checking out, the girl printed directions to the zoo, which she referred to as "directions to the dentist's office" (because she knew we were trying to surprise our sons) - adorable! Overall, this was a pleasant experience and we would likely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the honest and detailed review. We strive for perfection, but sometimes fall short, and this sort of feedback really helps us to get things back on track and better than ever. I hope we do see you back at the Alexis--we're working on getting it spotless for you.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here for a few nights to celebrate a special occasion. It was such a dream! The staff was very friendly and helpful with dinner plans. Our suite was big. It had a comfy bed and with a fireplace, it was fabulous! The location is great, so close by to Pike's Market and transit. I can not wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We can't wait to have you back!
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very nice hotel and falls in line with the other Kimpton properties that I've stayed at (Palomar and Monaco). The hardest part for me was finding the hotel. I'm not a city girl and finding it was challenging. I wasn't overly excited about room service from the Library Bistro. The service was very quick, but the salad was a little wilted and the soup was extremely salty (for my taste). I will say that after eating New England Clam Chowder for years, the way it's presented here was a very nice change. I've never had it with the clams still in the shell. Check in and check out were easy and the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. Valet parking is $40/night which is a bit much, but is close to the going rate here. I paid $32/night at another hotel around the corner. My favorite part of course is raiding the mini bar!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
jenne_neptune, General Manager at Alexis Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Thank you for the honest review of your stay and dining experience with us. We are hard at work in the Library Bistro and Bookstore Bar to make sure we are always providing fresh and delicious food, and I hope you'll give us another chance to wow your taste buds!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

What can I say, that hasn't been said about a Kimpton Resort. The staff here was just so welcoming and made my friend and I feel like we were at home. The room upgrade was an unexpected treat, the Location was perfect and we love, love, loved the originality and uniqueness of the Library Bar & Restaurant. I will only stay at the Alexis when I am in Seattle.( or anywhere for that matter)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
jenne_neptune, General Manager at Alexis Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you! We love our loyal Kimpton family, and are lucky to have such kind guests be a part of it.

Been to Alexis Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!