“Ecclectic” 4 of 5 stars

Book Now
Ranked #49 of 506 things to do in Seattle
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: This post-modern structure houses an impressive and eclectic collection.
Goodyear, Arizona
9 attraction reviews
“Ecclectic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The collection included a wide range of post-modern art, modern art, and antiquity from various cultures. I can't say I have visited an art museum with a varied collection. The spectrum was refreshing, moved us along. We left saying we would have to come back because we just didn't have enough time to spend with every exhibit. The price is right. Parking is hard to find and expensive.

Visited August 2013

• Korean first
New York City, New York
“Interesting collection but funky welcome”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Went there for the Japanese Beauty of the future exhibition. Pure magic. The regular collection is very interesting too.
But some people at the ticketing counter and at the cloak room had a quite obnoxious attitude. Sorry.

Visited August 2013
Seattle, Washington
25 attraction reviews
“Small but mighty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

While the SAM may not have the hugest collection in America it certainly has quite an interesting and eclectic one. I love this place.

Visited March 2013
Tallahassee, Florida
9 attraction reviews
“Worth the Buck”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Don't be put off by the high cost of entry, it's just a suggestion. I donated a buck for my ticket. The place looks huge and it sort of is but the art work is really only on two of four floors. Over all my opinion of the museum is going to be bit judgy as I've spent most of my schooling in art school, and I have a BS in Art Ed. The classic work is few but good, the museum is nice enough to allow you to take pictures (no flash) and they don't place ropes in front of paintings so you can really get close and admire the finer details of the paintings or sculptures. The museum how ever will not allow photos of their current exhibits, I know sad. I enjoyed few of the works mostly those that used classic approaches, or some high level of skill. I would say that covers about a third the work offered.

Which brings me to the "WTH did I just see, that's what goes for art now". For example they had a strip of fabric mounted on the wall, nothing special just alternating orange and off white stripes. How about a line drawn with a marker or a splotch of water color on ruled paper, yeah same as in school. Anyhow I know it's said the art is in the eye of the beholder, but come on skill is an important part. They had so much wall and floor space to work with but they spaced works out so far. So be ready to walk a lot. I just remembered a slab of steel on the floor was are too. Oh and I did notice that the nicer the work the darker the lighting, which blows for picture taking.

In the end would I do it again, sure if I had a $1 and 1hr+ to spend. But I would skip over the bad crafts and go look at art that took Time, Love, and Skill. Oh and with the money you could save you may be able to buy a book mark in their highly over priced store.

Visited June 2013
Holyoke, MA
6 attraction reviews
“A Great Small Museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is a great 1.5 hour visit on a sight-seeing trip. The SAM has a great diverse collection entirely appropriate to Seattle - a Puget Sound collection, several modern art rooms (not my thing but I get why that's part of the gig there), and a big special collection space. Most of the museum is devoted to aboriginal art from Asia, Africa, Australia, and Washington's native peoples. The staging of the museum was well done - a mix of textile, painting, sculpture, masks, period clothing - that reminds me of 5 star museums like the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. Also - the interpreters were the friendliest people I've met in a museum, going out of their way in each room to share their knowledge about the works of art. 2 interpreters talked to me about what I was seeing, and I saw a number of other patrons engaged in this way. I was impressed. Furthermore, the pay-as-you-go ticket price (like at the Met in NYC) makes the art accessible for anyone who wants to see it.

Visited July 2013