“Standard rooms much too small even for one regular sized person, good for baby hobbits though” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Max

Save Saved
You added Hotel Max to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   620 Stewart Street, Seattle, WA 98101 (Belltown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #49 of 95 hotels in Seattle
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I've stayed at the Max a lot of times, and so it was my first choice for a hotel stay this time.
I was so disapointed, as other reviewers have mentioned the standard rooms are so small they feel insulting, there's small and then there's the baby of a very small hobbit small, and at that level one just feels that one is being crammed into a box in order that the hotel can make money. I am a not tall and not wide person but had to keep my elbows in to have an all over shower. It might be possible to live with such a small room for one night but my reservation was for three nights, and therefore just having space to spread out my toiletries or make-up in the bathroom would have been nice! Also it's virtually impossible to work in such a small environment never mind move around the room with two suitcases plus carry-ons, and becomes a case (no pun intended) of either me or the suitcases. The front desk service is also not what it was, it's become my pet hate of the "boutique" hotel people in suits who are not very friendly and really not very helpful, I was given completely inaccurate information as to how long a trip to the airport might take.
The only saving grace is the restaurant whose menu has got even better (not reflected in room service, better to go and order especially if you have match box size room) and the staff there really should be running the hotel as they understand about service with a smile!

Room Tip: if you can get a king or larger room, smaller rooms are just impossible...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HotelMaxGM, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
by Pheephox (London, United Kingdom) on 2/28/13,
Thank you for the feedback. I apologize if you did not enjoy your room during this visit. I am hoping that since you have stayed with us before and enjoyed the stay you will give us another opportunity to serve you again. We have nine floor plans and some Queen rooms are very cozy. We should have relocated you into a larger queen. Most guest comment that the staff is friendly and helpful; we did not live up to those expectations this time.

1,096 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Ashland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a modern furnished hotel on the north side of the downtown Seattle area. The rooms are very clean and pretty small. Not much storage space in the room.The bed was very comfortable. Price was excellent for the February off-season. We stayed three nights and the total at checkout was under $390 without parking. Valet parking is very expensive. Front desk staff was friendly and professional.
We inadvertently left a $20 on the counter the second day and when we came back it was still there after the room had been cleaned. We gave that as a tip to the cleaning staff at checkout!. We would definitely go back to Hotel Max!

Room Tip: Our room was on the rear of the building on the sixth floor. The building next to it has a loud a/c...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelMaxGM, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Albert T (Ashland, Oregon) on 2/25/13,
Thank you for the feedback and we are glad to learn you enyoyed the Hotel and staff during your stay at the Hotel Max. I am especially delighted to hear confirmation that you can leave cash out without fear of it being taken. I will share that with the Houskeeping department. We look forward to your next visit to the Hotel Max.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were very disappointed when we got into our room. When someone pays $150 a night, I think they expect to have a bit more space. The room was really small, we had only two tiny drawers to put both our clothes for the trip (which obviously wasn't enough), the bathroom and shower were so tiny the 2 of us could not fit in there at the same time and on top of that the heating unit was old and noisy. There was only one bathroom robe (not a very comfortable one) for the two of us and no free wifi. I remember paying less money when I was a student for better rooms. I kind of feel like I was robbed of my money a little bit. We went there to celebrate our anniversary and thought we should be adventurous and try something different... I think we'll stick to the safe choices of hotel next time.

On a positive note: the location is central, the lobby and hallways are very cool and full of unique art and our room was on the last floor facing the Space Needle so we had a very good view. The main reason why I am not giving a poor rating to this hotel is the staff; they were really awesome! The receptionnists were very friendly and professional at the same time; that part was very enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelMaxGM, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear ThomasBdlA (Vancouver, Canada) on 2/25/13,
Thank you for the feedback. I apologize that your room was missing a robe as the standard is two per room. Some of the rooms are cozy as the building is #85 years old and we renovated it in 2005. I am confidant of the nine floor plans we have one that would meet your needs. I am glad the staff was "awsome" and I will share the comment with them. We hope you will return to the Hotel Max again soon.
Jakarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed in Hotel Max after a short visit in Portland.
Previously we stayed in Hotel Lucia and since we enjoyed staying there, we decided to stay in Hotel Max (it's the same hotel group).

The layout was almost the same but the decor was a bit more flamboyant.
Located in downtown area, but not too close with city center, you need to drive to get around town. Again, Portland and Seattle are two different kind of cities.

The room was small so we upgraded our room to King room to enjoy a better comfort.
Very cool hotel and definitely hip with a dash of Grunge here and there.

Room Tip: Try the upgrade, since the basic room was kinda small.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear les_canadiens_jkt (Jakarta) on 2/25/13,
Thank you for the feedback. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed the staff and Hotel during your stay at the Hotel Max. We look forward to your next visit to the Hotel Max soon!
seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Going to shop or to the Paramount. Pick this hotel. Easy to get to. Possible on street parking on the weekend that saves you 30+ and nice staff. Only caution. Elevators are small and slow so leave extra time to get out of the building.

Dear summerfunteacher (seattle) on 2/23/13,
Thank you for the feedback. I am glad to learn the Hotel staff took care of you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Max. We hope you will return again soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

<<Location>>: Seattle downtown right next to all the shopping and department stores like Nordstrom or Macy's.
<<Staff>>: Polite and interested in helping you with anything
<<Design & Rooms>>: Love the lobby and the design feel it has. Corridors are modern and room doors have retro pictures on them. Rooms are modern and simple. Beds are very comfortable. Big drawback for me though was their air conditioning/heating unit as its old and noisy. Have stayed there many times and its about time they added modern more silent units. Bathroom has Aveda products which was a nice touch but they only left me with a single little shampoo for 4 nights when other hotels replenish the stock.
<<Gym>>: The hotel has a gym too which satisfies the basics. Some cardio equipment and dumbbells. Like any hotel gym don't expect though something huge but it does the trick.
<<Room Service>>: Good food but I think it's a bit limited & especially considering the Red Fin Restaurant (where they source the food from) is basically in the same building.
<<Car service>>: The hotel features a car service like proper town cars which can take you anywhere. I didn't use them this time but I have in the past to head to Bellevue and found them to be very inefficient. Every time I used them the driver got lost for Bellevue but they are fine for the airport.
<<Transport>>: If you're heading from the airport take the Light Link train as it takes you to the Westlake Center which is only 5 minutes walk and it's easy even if you have luggage. Taxi rank is also nearby.

• Stayed February 2013
HotelMaxGM, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear AlexPtraveler (London, United Kingdom) on 2/17/13,
Thank you for the feedback. The comment about the polite and helpful staff is the best feedback and I will share it with the staff. I will follow up with the Town Car service and the runs to Bellevue as they should know where they are going. We look forward to your next visit to the Hotel Max.
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Cool hotel with a great downtown location. They are milking seattle's main attractions a bit (Kurt Cobain is pictured on the roomkey, etc. Nothing wrong with that, I guess). Very cool art everywhere; Everything was nicely decorated. The rooms were a little awkward and small. Large older window a/c unit that could use some updating. In my room, the sink and shower were extremely small...The sink was not even in the bathroom in my room. Overall, not bad. Cool place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Danielle C (Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania) on 2/15/13,
Thank you for the feedback. We are glad to learn you enjoyed the service staff and the rooms overall. The room you occupied is one of a kind on that stack with the washroom and shower in seperate areas. I am certain that out of #163 guest rooms we have one that would meet your needs.
Hotel Max

Been to Hotel Max? Share your experiences!