“Great Package deals, but double-check your receipt.” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   620 Stewart Street, Seattle, WA 98101 (Belltown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #49 of 95 hotels in Seattle
Poulsbo, Washington
“Great Package deals, but double-check your receipt.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We booked for a New Year's night on the town that included Champagne, free valet, Starbucks & Pacific Place gift cards for about $260. These were great perks to our visit. Other perks: location, Red Fin restaraunt, knowledgable staff. The bad; rooms are VERY small. Don't plan on adding a rollaway or anything of that sort. Road noise may be an issue for those on the lower floors. We were on the 10th (top floor) and didn't notice much. Also, they charge you for EVERYTHING, don't assume something is free.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to a larger sized room, do so.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelMaxGM, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Jessica B (Poulsbo, Washington) on 1/6/13,
Thank you for the feedback and we are delighted to learn that you enjoyed the service staff and hotel during your visit to the Hotel Max. We hope you will return again soon.

1,119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

So here's what we thought of Hotel Max...

We did book very last minute, after finishing at the Seattle Outlets, and managed to get a room for the sale price of $119. The Reservations Agent who took our call was polite and pleasant and did offer us this sale, price after the initial offer of $159. For a downtown, boutique hotel it seemed good value. We asked if was difficult to find the hotel, coming from the North, on I-5, and after some hesitation the young lady told us she wasn't sure, but to look for Virginia Street, from which we could turn onto Stewart Street...

Of course it wasn't quite that simple...

HEAD'S UP: If you're coming into Seattle for the first time, or don't have much experience with the American freeway systems in large cities MAKE SURE IN ADVANCE that you know exactly where you need to exit, and be ready... if you don't know, or are unsure, you will find yourself on the other end of town, needing to exit the freeway, and then somehow get back on...like us.

We did manage to get turned around, and make it into the city center, and called the hotel. We gave the Guest Agent our approximate location and he rattled off some street names for us to look for...and 15 minutes later we were outside the city again. A second call to the hotel and we were told "I really have no idea where you are at this point."

Okay, fair enough. By now we'd been driving around for nearly an hour, and the hotel couldn't help us at all. Thank god for Google Maps. While I'm not really looking forward to the $50+ from Bell in data roaming charges, the Navigator did finally get us to the hotel. Total time lost in city: 70 minutes.

So... the hotel. Pulling up, the Valet offered to park us for $40, but advised the lot directly across the street was about $10, cheaper. On weekends, it is actually $10 for 10 hours, so if you're looking to save a little, it's a good option BUT you'll need to pay every 10 hours or risk getting towed. Street parking, if you can find it, is also free on Sundays.

I believe a previous reviewer described the hotel as modern and kitschy, and you get your first taste of that walking into the lobby, with it's funky artwork and bright red front desk. We thought "very cool." The Guest Agent who I had spoken with over the phone, was efficient, if not overly friendly. I was a little taken aback when he indirectly suggested that perhaps it was our fault we got lost, but I let the comment slide as I was pretty sure he had not intended to come across how he sounded,

The elevator floors were quite dirty--or at least needed a good vacuum--but the lobby, guestroom floors, and most importantly our room, were very clean. As noted elsewhere, the room is very small, and we were somewhat amused that the toilet and sink were separate from the shower/tub. Being the two of us, we didn't mind at all. Paintings from local Seattle artists decorated the walls, and the bedding package was very modern, again with the red accents. Again, think boutique. Think older renovated property. Think cool hotel close to Pike Place Market, and Belltown.

The bed was VERY COMFORTABLE and we both slept well. The wake up call I had asked for never came, but my cell alarm thankfully worked fine. The Front Desk was a little crowded as we were near checkout time, but the Guest Agent on duty was efficient (and this time very friendly) and we were on our way in no time. (Tip: you might want to bring your own bottled water if you don't want to pay $4/bottle for water in your room.)

Overall we quite liked the hotel and if you get your room for $120 you're getting a good deal on a boutique hotel in the heart of everything. We didn't feel the the evening service was that great--but perhaps we were just tired after driving around "lost" for some time--but a.m. service and efficiency more than made up for this.

As a former hotelier myself, the only recommendation I would have for Hotel Max is to ensure that the front desk and reservation team have some sort of written directions to the hotel--from the North and South, from the airport, ferries, etc--handy because not everyone has GPS or Google Maps.

Would we return? If we were looking to be close to PIke Place, the waterfront, Space Needle etc... probably yes. We would have given "four circles" overall, but my feeling is that service slipped, if only slightly, in the evening. It really isn't the guests fault if they get lost, in a new city.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelMaxGM, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear TheOriginalCWMis (Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada),
Thank you for the feedback and I apologize that you were lost on your way to the hotel. We do have directions from the interstates into the hotel so I am unsure why we did not get the correct information to you. We hope you will return again to the Hotel Max.
Manchester, Washington, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Lets start with the good: Location is great. 1 block from Pacific place mall (restaurants, movie theater, lots of stores) 2 blocks from Nordstrom & Macy's. Starbucks next door. 3 short blocks from Paramount Theater. Very close to all downtown shopping and to monorail to get to Seattle center. Beds very comfortable. Rooms clean and reasonably well appointed. Staff was friendly A++. Very 1920's Hollywood art deco decor... kitschy and cute... different.

Now the challenging: Rooms very small (not a deal breaker- as we aren't there alot). Our bathroom was split into 2 rooms (yes separate rooms) the shower was in one room (no mirror) and the loo and sink with mirror in another-- and there was no way more than one person could be in the loo room at a time. This WAS a deal breaker- it was inconvenient and awful.

We stay in Seattle once every December right before Christmas- this was our first time at the Max, and likely our last.

Room Tip: Make sure the bathroom is in one room~!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelMaxGM, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear CM_G279 (Manchester, Washington, United States),
Thank you for the feedback. The room you were assigned is #21's which there are only nine in the hotel with the seperated washroom out of #163 rooms. Allot of our guest prefer the room; but in you case we should have assigned you a different one. I am certain we have one that will meet your needs if you give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has some modern kitschy appeal to those who like the ambiance of older renovated hotels. The hotel is brightly painted and filled with local artists' works. Each guest room door is covered with a life-size photograph of classic movie scenes. The decor is a welcome change to the usual high-rise downtown hotel. However, the rooms are miniscule. While filled with modern minimalist furniture and a comfortable bed, it is almost impossible to navigate the room with two adults. And, there is an excessive amount of expensive wet bar items covering every flat surface, adding to the cramped feeling - water is four dollars, a toothbrush is three dollars (a first time for me that a hotel would charge for a toothbrush - usually a gratuity for the forgetful traveller). The housekeeping is well-intentioned and friendly but somewhat lacking in thoroughness and completion. Our room lacked any soap, a large container of dirty laundry was left in front of our room, the grout in the tub was moldy and all corners had substantial accumulations of dust. Plus, there were hairs in the tub - yuck. There are strange inconsistencies - the advertised dog bed was sized for a chihuahua yet the milkbones were sized for Great Danes; the robes were large and comfy but the towels were small and threadbare. The room HVAC was incredibly noisy and there was a measurable cold draft from around the in-window placement. Ask for a higher level room - our third level room was inundated with constant sirens and bus traffic noise. That said, it is incredibly convenient to the federal courthouse (across the street) and the downtown shopping core - all within blocks. The price was reasonable for such a location. Be prepared for noise and inconsistencies with your convenience...a bit of a trade for a little unusual charm.

• Stayed December 2012
HotelMaxGM, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Pippin G on 12/11/12,
Thank you for the feedback. I apologize for the cleanliness issue in your room. We pride ourselves in regards to running a clean hotel. I am certain we have rooms that would better meet your needs in regards to size as we have over nine differenct floor plans. We hope you will give us an opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Santa Cruz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

By chance, coming on a bus from Vancouver, the station was a block from the Max, and I've been here with children before so the transition was very sweet. The hotel is an old one, brought up by modern standards with an aesthetic that obliterates the typical city hotel. It is Paris in Seattle, but with an America twist, bright striped hallway rugs and rock star photographs on every door. It is small but way comfy, great linens, cosmetics and stellar coffee. The view out through trees, as well as on the street many leaves makes the city go away. For the aesthete, romantic, two madly in love. A great bar restaurant joins for sushi, an amazing burger, and exotic drinks. Champagne Please. Nordstroms and shopping a block away, this is my regular, standard, only hotel in Seattle. I did notice the bed wear side bathroom, I chose the opposite but mattress had been flipped..somebody design an enduring one, please.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
HotelMaxGM, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear bapstar (Santa Cruz) on 12/3/12,
Thank you for the feedback. We are delighted to learn you enjoyed the Hotel and the service staff. We hope you will return to the Hotel Max again soon.
General Manger
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My Job booked me at the Hotel Max while all the boring "adults" stood at the Westin, as I heaved my fatself to the Hotel Max, I was unaware about the fee they charge as a security deposit nor did my job tell me, seeing how my job didn't provide me the budget or any info and I was embarrassed because Here I was on a no budget but Front Desk was super nice and sweet and let me into my room anyone once they removed the honor bar.. No Biggie!!! They were sooo welcoming and AMAZING.. The Rooms are AMAZING and COMFORTABLE!! I'm a pretty big girl!! Tall and Round "some girls are bigger than others!" And I had NO issues whatsoever with my room, shower or BED!!! I Got super sick so only went out of the hotel for work meetings, but the hotel is close to everything and the westlake light rail!!! It's a pity why people complain it's too small it's too this it's too that!! Stop being such a betty downer and enjoy the amazing location!, the sick awesome vibe of Hotel Max!!! And thd comfortable rooms!!! If your boring just stay at the westin with the boring bland crowd... Hotel Max you're the best of the best!! Top Notch!!! For spending most of my time in my room I never once regret it!!! Ghost Adventures, Pizza and Hotel Max are a match made in heaven! Excellent Customer Service!, Next time I will take advantage of the pillow menu!!

Till we meet again count down to 2 weeks!!!

Muchas Gracias From Tijuana, Mexico

Vickie Muñoz

• Stayed November 2012
HotelMaxGM, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear vickiemunster on 12/1/12,
Thank you for the feedback. I am glad to learn that you enjoyed the service of the staff, the cleanliness, and the Hotel during your stay at the Hotel Max. We look forward to your next visit when you return to Seattle, WA.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My GF and I try to do a "staycation" once a month just to relax, and we stayed here one weekend when we found a promotion (Groupon) and then noted that this property had made Conde Nast list of Top 200 hotels in the world.

Boy....were we disappointed.

Let me first stated clearly that all of the positive reviews here are true. It is in fact a boutique hotel, very artsy, very funky, good location, etc. And if you go for that - then you may have found your sweet spot.

My GF and I go for nice large, new upscale, modern properties. The nearby Pan Pacific (where he had stayed the previous month) being an EXCELLENT example.

The Hotel Max could not be more opposite.

It is an old, renovated building - my guess is that it was previously a SRO hotel in its previous life. The rooms (at least our room) are TINY...barely any room to walk around the queen sized bed (I am not exaggerating...we had to take care to not bump our knees into the desk or walls moving from the bed). The bathroom was even smaller - like the size of the bathroom on a boat. I will acknowledge that myself and my GF are "larger" people (I'm an former football player, she is quite tall herself), so perhaps our discomfort was exacerbated. Still, the room was no more than HALF the size of what I think of as a standard sized hotel room. Really, just enough room for the bed...and nothing else.

Speaking of the bed, we both noted that it was quite uncomfortable - not firm the way we prefer. Again, acknowledging that we are larger people...but most upscale properties use upscale mattresses that are just fine.

In summary - a very quirky place. It is what it is - no question. But it isn't what we were looking for...it the standard rates are pretty expensive.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelMaxGM, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear gogobeartravel (Seattle, Washington) on 11/27/12,
Thank you for the feedback. I am glad to learn you enjoyed the service staff and found the hotel to be clean and maintained. The hotel was built in 1925 and renovated in 2005 thus the cozy rooms. We have over nine floor plans and I am certain we have one that would meet your needs; therefore I hope you will change your mind and give us another opportunity to serve you again at the Hotel Max.
Hotel Max

Been to Hotel Max? Share your experiences!