“3.5 Star. Location is great- amenities a mix.” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   620 Stewart Street, Seattle, WA 98101 (Belltown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #50 of 95 hotels in Seattle
Manchester, Washington, United States
“3.5 Star. Location is great- amenities a mix.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Lets start with the good: Location is great. 1 block from Pacific place mall (restaurants, movie theater, lots of stores) 2 blocks from Nordstrom & Macy's. Starbucks next door. 3 short blocks from Paramount Theater. Very close to all downtown shopping and to monorail to get to Seattle center. Beds very comfortable. Rooms clean and reasonably well appointed. Staff was friendly A++. Very 1920's Hollywood art deco decor... kitschy and cute... different.

Now the challenging: Rooms very small (not a deal breaker- as we aren't there alot). Our bathroom was split into 2 rooms (yes separate rooms) the shower was in one room (no mirror) and the loo and sink with mirror in another-- and there was no way more than one person could be in the loo room at a time. This WAS a deal breaker- it was inconvenient and awful.

We stay in Seattle once every December right before Christmas- this was our first time at the Max, and likely our last.

Room Tip: Make sure the bathroom is in one room~!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelMaxGM, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear CM_G279 (Manchester, Washington, United States),
Thank you for the feedback. The room you were assigned is #21's which there are only nine in the hotel with the seperated washroom out of #163 rooms. Allot of our guest prefer the room; but in you case we should have assigned you a different one. I am certain we have one that will meet your needs if you give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

1,121 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has some modern kitschy appeal to those who like the ambiance of older renovated hotels. The hotel is brightly painted and filled with local artists' works. Each guest room door is covered with a life-size photograph of classic movie scenes. The decor is a welcome change to the usual high-rise downtown hotel. However, the rooms are miniscule. While filled with modern minimalist furniture and a comfortable bed, it is almost impossible to navigate the room with two adults. And, there is an excessive amount of expensive wet bar items covering every flat surface, adding to the cramped feeling - water is four dollars, a toothbrush is three dollars (a first time for me that a hotel would charge for a toothbrush - usually a gratuity for the forgetful traveller). The housekeeping is well-intentioned and friendly but somewhat lacking in thoroughness and completion. Our room lacked any soap, a large container of dirty laundry was left in front of our room, the grout in the tub was moldy and all corners had substantial accumulations of dust. Plus, there were hairs in the tub - yuck. There are strange inconsistencies - the advertised dog bed was sized for a chihuahua yet the milkbones were sized for Great Danes; the robes were large and comfy but the towels were small and threadbare. The room HVAC was incredibly noisy and there was a measurable cold draft from around the in-window placement. Ask for a higher level room - our third level room was inundated with constant sirens and bus traffic noise. That said, it is incredibly convenient to the federal courthouse (across the street) and the downtown shopping core - all within blocks. The price was reasonable for such a location. Be prepared for noise and inconsistencies with your convenience...a bit of a trade for a little unusual charm.

• Stayed December 2012
HotelMaxGM, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Pippin G on 12/11/12,
Thank you for the feedback. I apologize for the cleanliness issue in your room. We pride ourselves in regards to running a clean hotel. I am certain we have rooms that would better meet your needs in regards to size as we have over nine differenct floor plans. We hope you will give us an opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Santa Cruz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

By chance, coming on a bus from Vancouver, the station was a block from the Max, and I've been here with children before so the transition was very sweet. The hotel is an old one, brought up by modern standards with an aesthetic that obliterates the typical city hotel. It is Paris in Seattle, but with an America twist, bright striped hallway rugs and rock star photographs on every door. It is small but way comfy, great linens, cosmetics and stellar coffee. The view out through trees, as well as on the street many leaves makes the city go away. For the aesthete, romantic, two madly in love. A great bar restaurant joins for sushi, an amazing burger, and exotic drinks. Champagne Please. Nordstroms and shopping a block away, this is my regular, standard, only hotel in Seattle. I did notice the bed wear side bathroom, I chose the opposite but mattress had been flipped..somebody design an enduring one, please.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
HotelMaxGM, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear bapstar (Santa Cruz) on 12/3/12,
Thank you for the feedback. We are delighted to learn you enjoyed the Hotel and the service staff. We hope you will return to the Hotel Max again soon.
General Manger
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My Job booked me at the Hotel Max while all the boring "adults" stood at the Westin, as I heaved my fatself to the Hotel Max, I was unaware about the fee they charge as a security deposit nor did my job tell me, seeing how my job didn't provide me the budget or any info and I was embarrassed because Here I was on a no budget but Front Desk was super nice and sweet and let me into my room anyone once they removed the honor bar.. No Biggie!!! They were sooo welcoming and AMAZING.. The Rooms are AMAZING and COMFORTABLE!! I'm a pretty big girl!! Tall and Round "some girls are bigger than others!" And I had NO issues whatsoever with my room, shower or BED!!! I Got super sick so only went out of the hotel for work meetings, but the hotel is close to everything and the westlake light rail!!! It's a pity why people complain it's too small it's too this it's too that!! Stop being such a betty downer and enjoy the amazing location!, the sick awesome vibe of Hotel Max!!! And thd comfortable rooms!!! If your boring just stay at the westin with the boring bland crowd... Hotel Max you're the best of the best!! Top Notch!!! For spending most of my time in my room I never once regret it!!! Ghost Adventures, Pizza and Hotel Max are a match made in heaven! Excellent Customer Service!, Next time I will take advantage of the pillow menu!!

Till we meet again count down to 2 weeks!!!

Muchas Gracias From Tijuana, Mexico

Vickie Muñoz

• Stayed November 2012
HotelMaxGM, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear vickiemunster on 12/1/12,
Thank you for the feedback. I am glad to learn that you enjoyed the service of the staff, the cleanliness, and the Hotel during your stay at the Hotel Max. We look forward to your next visit when you return to Seattle, WA.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My GF and I try to do a "staycation" once a month just to relax, and we stayed here one weekend when we found a promotion (Groupon) and then noted that this property had made Conde Nast list of Top 200 hotels in the world.

Boy....were we disappointed.

Let me first stated clearly that all of the positive reviews here are true. It is in fact a boutique hotel, very artsy, very funky, good location, etc. And if you go for that - then you may have found your sweet spot.

My GF and I go for nice large, new upscale, modern properties. The nearby Pan Pacific (where he had stayed the previous month) being an EXCELLENT example.

The Hotel Max could not be more opposite.

It is an old, renovated building - my guess is that it was previously a SRO hotel in its previous life. The rooms (at least our room) are TINY...barely any room to walk around the queen sized bed (I am not exaggerating...we had to take care to not bump our knees into the desk or walls moving from the bed). The bathroom was even smaller - like the size of the bathroom on a boat. I will acknowledge that myself and my GF are "larger" people (I'm an former football player, she is quite tall herself), so perhaps our discomfort was exacerbated. Still, the room was no more than HALF the size of what I think of as a standard sized hotel room. Really, just enough room for the bed...and nothing else.

Speaking of the bed, we both noted that it was quite uncomfortable - not firm the way we prefer. Again, acknowledging that we are larger people...but most upscale properties use upscale mattresses that are just fine.

In summary - a very quirky place. It is what it is - no question. But it isn't what we were looking for...it the standard rates are pretty expensive.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelMaxGM, General Manager at Hotel Max, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear gogobeartravel (Seattle, Washington) on 11/27/12,
Thank you for the feedback. I am glad to learn you enjoyed the service staff and found the hotel to be clean and maintained. The hotel was built in 1925 and renovated in 2005 thus the cozy rooms. We have over nine floor plans and I am certain we have one that would meet your needs; therefore I hope you will change your mind and give us another opportunity to serve you again at the Hotel Max.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Wouldn't have thought to choose this hotel, but we got a great deal through a travel website. The Hotel was artsy and cute. Staff was thoughtful and the rooms were clean, comforting and quiet. The location was ideal - within walking distance of the Seattle Center, the convention center and all major stores. The only thing missing was coffee in the morning - but there were several coffee shops nearby.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear PF_Portland (Portland, Oregon) on 11/25/12,
Thank you for the feedback. There is complimentry coffee in the guest rooms so I am not certain if we did not stock it or you missed it; although we are glad to learn you enjoyed the hotel service and found it clean. We look forward to your next visit to the Hotel Max.
Vancouver Island, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Recent Bid on Priceline and I was successful on getting this hotel. The location is amazing as it is within walking distance to Nordstroms and the shopping mecca in downtown Seattle.
The rooms are very small, but cozy! I asked for two beds but they were sold out, so opted for a cot.
The parking is quite steep, so I would encourage you to park across the street at the parking lot which is much cheaper.
All and all a good stay and would encourage you to stay here...however, don't have lots in your group as it would be squishy!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear downbythebay100 (Vancouver Island, Canada) on 11/25/12,
Thank you for the feedback and we are glad to learn you enjoyed the services and the hotel during your stay at the Hotel Max. We hope you will return again soon.
Hotel Max

Been to Hotel Max? Share your experiences!