“Very Disappointed, This W is "Tired"” 3 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #60 of 97 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Very Disappointed, This W is "Tired"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We purposely booked the W Seattle because we thought we knew we'd have an amazing hotel. I have to say that I was extremely disappointed. We've stayed in numerous W's in the past and have always been satisfied, maybe that's why this stay made me especially disappointed. We had a corner King room and from the moment I walked in, I noticed the deferred maintenance. The walls were scraped, scratched and marked from floor to ceiling, the towels were ragged & discolored, there were NO curtains in a room that was 75% windows and to top it off I found a pencil underneath the mattress pad!!!! We were woken up at 6 AM every morning because the light was blaring through the blinds (I've never stayed in a hotel that has just blinds & no curtains), I was poked in the back of the head a few times before I realized there was something embedded in my mattress...low & behold it was a pencil. To top it off the staff wasn't that friendly and weren't overly helpful by any means. A few positives: Location is great for walking to Pike Market & shopping, The beds are always comfy and TRACE the restaurant was excellent. Best edamame I've ever had. For the price this hotel was NOT worth it and I've lost some faith in W's & SPG hotels. I feel like the Kimpton would've been a better option, but you live & learn!

Room Tip: Do not get a corner room with all windows if you want to sleep in!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
tomlim, General Manager at W Seattle, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent experience. We are very sorry that we did not exceed every expectation and that you encountered service and product issues. We certainly appreciate the time you took to share your insights as this will help us improve. If you would like to discuss your experience further please contact us in guest services.

tl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at the W before a cruise to Alaska and were EXTREMELY impressed. The staff was very helpful, the location was perfect and the bed was THE most comfortable bed I've slept in away from home.

To make things even better, the hotel has complimentary transportation through their partnership with Acura. I wasn't sure what to expect with this but it was recommended that we get a ride to the cruise ship and this was extremely convenient. The partnership is meant to introduce Acura vehicles to new potential buyers but "the pitch" was almost non-existent. In fact, out of the dozen cab rides we had on our trip this was by far the most enjoyable (and safest) ride of our trip.

TIPS:

1) If you're going on a cruise and interested in getting a complimentary ride from the Acura Experience, you might want to schedule the ride when you arrive. We had no problems booking a ride the cruise ship but we were told that the service is popular on departure days.

2) There is a Bartell's Dug Store just 2 blocks away on Fourth. This was real convenient for snacks and some last minute items for our cruise.

3) If you like Mexican food check out Fogon on Pine Street. It wasn't really walking distance from the hotel but it was worth the trip. It was recommended by someone at the hotel and we took some Seattle "natives" and we all loved the food. Reasonably priced too!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
tomlim, General Manager at W Seattle, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback and insights. We certainly hope that if your travels bring you back to Seattle that we would have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Convienient to downtown and all the attractions like the pike place market as well as lots of transit options. Nice rooms and comfortable beds. Friendly staff too. Very convienient to the 5th Avenue Theatre too.

• Stayed July 2013
tomlim, General Manager at W Seattle, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback and we are happy to hear that the location suited your needs. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Port Murray, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Want to visit the '90s the next time you visit Seattle? This is the place for you.

The decor, the ambiance, the whole experience made me feel like I was traveling back in time.The only thing that said "new" to me was the music (which was so bad, it hurt) and the flat screen TVs.

Google some pictures. The architects of the place describe it as "A redesign... that melds together layers of the past, present and future that represent the Emerald City." The W should have gone with another architect. There is very little of the present and future on display there.

When we arrived, our rooms were not ready, so we had to hang out in the lobby for about 1.5 hours.

The wifi was free... in the lobby. They charged for access in the rooms.

The hallways were dimly lit, and the carpets were dark, giving off a back alley kind of feel.

If you haven't guessed, this is not what I prefer in a high-priced hotel.

There were positives.

The front desk staff was cheerful and helpful, as were the info desk ladies (I can't call them concierges).

The hotel is in a good location, just a few blocks from the Pike Place Market, which is a fun place, with a couple of nice restaurants.

And the view from the room was very nice. I could see the Sound and the land beyond it.

Bottom line: A hotel that has to call itself "hip," "contemporary," "edgy," "stylish," "trendsetting," and "flirty," usually isn't. The W describes itself this way. And it isn't.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
tomlim, General Manager at W Seattle, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know your opinion on our design and we certainly respect your input. And thank you for recognizing our Welcome team, we are delighted to hear that they were friendly and accommodating. If your travels bring you back to Seattle we certainly hope to welcome you back.

Portland, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at your hotel this past Friday and Saturday night. We are blessed and able to take many trips to our favorite city, Seattle, from Portland (from 1 to 2 weekends a month). Our favorite hotels include Woodmark in Kirkland, Pan Pacific and the Heathman. We never before stayed at the W or a Starwood hotel.

We found the room to be fantastic. Gorgeous, modern Fabulous room was as advertised. The front desk staff were incredibly helpful, friendly; shares a few jokes about my wife Michelle Anderson-Galvan (Lee)​​ and my run.

We enjoyed the Trace bar;
food was generally excellent. Your valet staff were all happy, helpful, and eager to help. no attitudes or indications of being disgruntled. Quite the opposite- eager and anxious to help. we tipped well accordingly.

One complaint: the Acura car service is worthless. we checked in at approximately 410, asked the young blonde woman about the shuttle service and if we needed to call down. She said no, they have lots of cars. We went up to our room, waited for our luggage and then went down to ask the man about (from Acura) about the car service.

We were advised it stopped at 4:30. It was 4:33.

Next day, midday, we asked for a ride to the Pacific mall. This time the man said no cars were available- we should walk. He was rude and curt.

Pan Pacific has mutiple cars, and have always been more than happy to provide rides. and, they provide the service until 10:30pm. The time or two we had to wait, they were extremely polite, encouraged us to wait, made sure we had an estimate of time.

Not only did we pay 40.00 per night for valet, but another 40.00 or so in cab fares.

The irony is, despite our relative youth, we have a 2013 X5 with one year left on lease and have been considering Acuras....

For this reason alone, the poor and incomplete shuttle service and rude shuttle staff, we will not return to the W.

Too bad.

• Stayed July 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had a very nice stay. I would say is had to do with the guy at the front desk checking us in. I was tired and grouchy, but the man working the front desk was very friendly and kind making check-in a breeze. I would definitely stay at this hotel again minus the $38.00 they charge for parking. If you run in to this problem, there are several parking garages that offer WAY BETTER DEALS for parking. We stayed in a garage a few blocks away on Friday and Saturday that charged six bucks a day! SCORE!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
tomlim, General Manager at W Seattle, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Warmest Regrds,
Lincoln, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

High price, poor service. Couldnt get a room fridge to store breast milk while traveling for business. Had to have it put in the freezer and retrieved by babysitter via the front desk. Our last night the neighbors were loud all night and we could not sleep. Call 2 or 3 times to the front desk. In the morning when I complained again, they said I was one call short of reaching their policy to kick out a guest. And for that reason they did not wantto discountthe room. After much back and forth they finally did.

No coffe in the room, no free breakfast items, unfriendly staff, and unable to get a room fridge for breastmilk. All this for a premium top dollar price.

Oh and the crib provided did not include sheets. I had to bring my own crib sheets.

Great location but would not recommend. In fact on my last trip to seattle stayedfurther from downtown and took the bus to my office so I could avoid this hotel.

?.please excuse typos, im on a tablet

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
tomlim, General Manager at W Seattle, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay. We are very sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations and for any inconvenience that you experienced. If you would like to discuss this further please contact us in guest services.

tl

Been to W Seattle? Share your experiences!