“Excellent experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“Excellent experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I checked into this hotel very early the morning of June 1st, after a dissatisfying experience at another inn. I called ahead and Fantasia, who was at the front desk, said yes, they could accommodate me, and reserved a room immediately. I walked over, and Fantasia did everything she could to get me in right then, even switching the original room to another slightly larger. She was amazingly efficient and so pleasant! The room was a good size, well appointed, and bright and colourful. I was in town for a writer's conference, and was away all day, but getting back that evening, the room was comfortable, clean, quiet. I wasn't there long enough to get a feel for much else, and didn't get a chance to enjoy the pool, but first impressions matter, I had a wonderful sleep, and the staff, especially Fantasia, was fantastic. Checkout was a breeze, and the town car reservation to the airport is handy. An excellent experience, I would stay here again, and I recommend it with no problem.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
LaceyKing, Manager at University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for the great review of your stay with us! We're always happy to help out with an early check-in whenever possible and Fantasia is great at going that extra mile! She has been a wonderful addition to our team and we are luck to have her.
Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit to Seattle!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My wife and I have enjoyed our 3 stays at the University Inn. It's located very close to UW and has the best rates around. The staff is eager to help with anything and very friendly. We've stayed there 3 times and wouldn't even consider anywhere else!

Room Tip: Portage Bay Cafe is attached to their building, so eat there; you'll be glad you did. Yeah ro...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
LaceyKing, Manager at University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Hi Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review! We're so pleased to continue to welcome you back and thank you for your continued support of Pineapple Hospitality!

We look forward to your next visit to Seattle,

Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I'm a frequent visitor to Seattle for business (3-4 visits a month) and usually stay in Bellevue. During my latest trip, I had meetings at the university and, given the generally positive TripAdvisor reviews, decided to give this place a try. All I can say is that it's difficult to believe I was staying at the same hotel!

Biggest issue: The size of my room. It was tiny by Seattle standards. The bathroom was literally the size of a broom closet. Mattress was worn and uncomfortable. The 'desk' in the room was not worthy of the name: With a lamp and coffee maker sitting on top, there was hardly any space left for my computer and work papers. I always ask for a room distant from the elevators, but the building is configured such that all room doors are close to the elevator. And noise is an issue here for a second reason: The walls are thin.

There was no ice or vending machine on my floor, so I went to the front desk to ask about these. I discovered they were in a separate wing that looked far superior to my own. So it quickly became apparent that I got stuck with the lousy wing. I suppose I could have complained and asked to move, but by this time it was already evening and I was entirely unpacked.

Still, I made the decision to ditch this place in the morning and head to a more congenial hotel. I was supposed to stay two further nights - but frankly, I'm on the road too often to put up with poor accommodations like this.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
LaceyKing, Manager at University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Hello PDS209,

I thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I do apologize that your stay was not a wonderful one, this is never the experience that we want our guests to have.
I invite you to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance to you, 206.632.5057.

Again I apologize for the inconvenience and I look forward to hearing from you.

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

This was a nice little hotel which was well kept and clean. The hotel itself and room were nicely decorated and spacious. The staff were all very helpful and friendly and genuinely seemed like they enjoyed working there which is rare! The complimentary shuttle was really convenient as it goes to a number of spots and the hotel is located relatively close to a lot of attractions and sites. Breakfast was good as they had a nice assortment of pastries and some juices and the food items were constantly being re-stocked as they ran low, even shortly before shutting down the breakfast. The only suggestion I would have is to have another protein choice (eg. sausages, bacon) as they only had hard boiled eggs. But overly, it was a very pleasant stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
LaceyKing, Manager at University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Hello 604bob,

It's great to see that you enjoyed your time in Seattle and your stay with us! Thank you for the very nice review and we hope to welcome you back for a future stay!

Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

If you have kids attending UW you won't find a more convenient place to stay than The University Inn. The rooms are clean and quiet, the staff is very friendly & helpful, they offer a daily complimentary breakfast bar, it's within walking distance to the campus and they have free parking (Which is hard to come by in the city) Prices are very reasonable and they're a pet friendly establishment as well..........:)

Some of the other nice features are -

Complimentary Wireless Internet
Complimentary Shuttle Service
Seasonal Outdoor Pool
Free Laundry Facility
Complimentary Bicycles for Guest Use

Room Tip: Book your room way ahead of time on a weekend when there's a football game at Husky Stadium...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hi Baytrader,

Thank you for taking the time to review the University Inn. We're glad that you found our location convenient for you needs and that our staff was very welcoming. Great tip to make your reservations early, there are always different events going on in the city and at UW that can make last minute reservations a little hard to come by.
Thanks again and I'm sure we'll see you again soon,

Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We have stayed here before. It is nicely located for the university area. Good restaurant next door. Short walk to shopping. It is also not to long a drive to downtown Seattle or the Green Lake area. It was also a great place before we drove up to the San Juan Islands. Large, clean rooms and a nice pool that we did not use. Continental breakfast in the lobby which we did use.

2Travel-4funNow,

Thank you for the great review and for choosing to stay with us again! We're pleased that we continued to live up to your expectations and could offer a great home base while you were in Seattle.
Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back soon,

Medford, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

This 'boutique' hotel near the U of W campus was a good fit for us over an extended Memorial Day weekend. We were there to watch our granddaughter play in a volleyball tournament on campus, but added a couple of days to make it a mini-vacation. The price was right and we managed to get everywhere we wanted either by walking, using the complimentary bright yellow cruiser bikes (which got a LOT of positive attention on the great, nearby Burke-Gilman trail!) or their free shuttle. The shuttle only goes to some designated stops (not real clear on the website...it says 'within 5 miles' and we thought we could go anywhere w/in 5 miles) but they are well placed. We spent a day exploring the waterfront, Seattle Center (happened to be there during the Folk Life Festival) and walking to the top of the Queen Anne hill. We visited the University Village shopping center a couple of times and found good restaurants, and of course were at the volleyball venue which was in the sports area of campus which was right on the lake and had good places to explore between games. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating, rooms were clean, the free breakfast was nothing to write home about, but decent and they did have pineapple mini-cupcakes at 5:00 every day. :) The shuttle drivers were friendly, prompt and called us if there was to be any delay or problem. Reserve your shuttle pickups as soon as you know when/where you want to go, as it's first-come, first-served. We didn't bring swim suits as the website said the pool was open in June, and we were there during the (early in May this year) Memorial Day weekend...we wished we'd known it would be open. We would definitely stay there again if the occasion arises. They do have specials on their website, and will price match, so plan ahead and check prices.

Room Tip: We were facing 42nd Street and it was fairly noisy, I imagine the rooms facing the pool would be qui...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
LaceyKing, Manager at University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Hi Susanfrey,

Thank you for the great review! Sounds like you enjoyed your time exploring Seattle and some of the fun stuff our city has to offer, we're pleased to have been a part of that for you. You are absolutely correct in that we will always match the lowest price for our rooms so just give us a call next time you're headed to Seattle 1.866.866.7977 we're always here to help with your travel plans!

Hotel Manager

Been to University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality? Share your experiences!