“Friendly attitudes with welcoming and accommodating staff.” 5 of 5 stars

$30 Off per Night!
Ranked #36 of 97 Hotels in Seattle
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Coquitlam, Canada
“Friendly attitudes with welcoming and accommodating staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Ever arrive exhausted from a drive after an already eventful day, but that has you at your destination in the wee hours of the morning ahead of schedule because anticipated much vaunted border delays didn't transpire. Then you wondered whether to curl up asleep in your car? Before taking up parking space in the University Inn where I had a reservation for Monday night, I was prompted to check with the night staff and let them know my plan because I had an early appointment at U of W Med Ctr close by and wouldn't be able to check-in until much later in the afternoon. I was greeted brightly by Joel and before I knew it I was whisked off to my room that was already available following Sunday checkouts and with the welcoming news that the gym was available at their sister Waterford Hotel next door through agreement. Breakfast was absolutely inviting and all the staff mirrored the initial welcome by Joel in their eagerness to assist everyone. The hotel is bright and clean with all the amenities and a great well-lit running trail through the university district and Lake Washington. Free shuttle service runs around the area and stops across the street every 15 minutes and the bus service to downtown is less than 20 minutes with Pike Street Market; Pioneer Square, and other waterfront attractions all laid out in a walking distance. Perfect accommodation by Joel; returning soon!

Room Tip: I was given a balcony on the fourth floor which was quiet and had a view towards the south.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of University Inn! I look forward to sharing your praises with our entire team. Our location is prime for visits to the University Of Washington Medical Center. As you noted, the University operates a complimentary shuttle service which picks up just across the street at the UW Roosevelt Clinic and runs every 15 minutes. However, we also offer complimentary shuttle service to and from the medical center as well as several other locations in the area and downtown. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed here in December for a residency interview at UW. This was a very convenient place to stay, about a 15 minute brisk walk from the medical center. The service was very good and the staff was very friendly. The pineapple cupcakes in the lobby were a nice touch. The room was clean, comfortable, and colorful, suited with usual amenities. The shuttle to certain parts of town is also very convenient. The only problem during my stay was that the hot water heater broke the morning of my interview and I had to take a cold shower at about 6am. The person that addresses those kinds of issues arrives at the hotel at 6:30am; and promptly thereafter, there was hot water again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I hope that your interview went well. I’m pleased to see that we were able to create a convenient and comfortable stay for you. I sincerely apologize for the lack of hot water on your early morning but I’m glad to see that we were able to promptly rectify the issue. We hope to see you again soon!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised during my staff at the University Inn in Seattle. Despite it's nondescript outer facade, the inside is modern and clean. I received an upgrade to a suite when I checked in, which was a pleasant surprise. I had a room in the south building. It was very clean, quiet, had it's own Keurig coffee maker and fridge and microwave. Wireless Internet access was free with a good connection. I had no problems controlling the heat / air con in my room. The free shuttle (need to book ahead of time) is great and will drop you off / pick you up from main attractions, including the Space Needle. There is also a public bus right across the street that will take you downtown in 10-15 minutes (on the weekend). I stayed 3 nights and got the 3rd night free. The breakfast is a bit sparse, but there is tea / coffee available at all times in the lobby. There is also a public computer and printer in the lobby. The front desk staff were pleasant and helpful in providing directions. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the South side, not on the groud floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thanks for your lovely review of University Inn. I’m delighted to see you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade and were able to utilize many of our amenities. Thanks again for the recommendation. We hope to see you again the next time you’re in the Emerald City.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I'm a celiac like to pass on tips for those in same position. Bring ur own gf bread, there is gf yogurt, toaster, cream cheese, peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, fruit, juice, tea and coffee. Portage bay cafe next door does Gf but I didn't go there. Close by there is a Chipotle Grill on university wsy between NE 42nd & 43rd they do a gf burrito bowl. I would stay here again. Shuttle goes on every hour and comes back on the half hour but book in advance.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for writing a helpful review for our gluten-free guests. I’m glad that you found options available in our complimentary breakfast! I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

As the title suggests, this hotel is good for a short stay. I would not stay here for more than a few nights. The service people are very friendly and helpful. They know a lot about the city and can help you out. The sitting areas, lobby, and rooms are all clean. They provide a continental breakfast that it pretty good. When I was there there where different cereal choices, bagels, toast, muffins. They provide a complimentary shuttle to several areas including Pikes Place, the zoo, the Space Needle, etc. I did not have a car and found this helpful. This hotel is also located in a conveniant location. It is close to the University of Washington and the shops around the University. There are many good places to eat around the hotel that are within walking distance. The rooms also had microwaves and a fridge. The main problem was the heater. The rooms got extremely cold in the night unless you left the heater on. If you left the heater on the room would get extremely hot. The heater was also very loud. The beds were okay. They were not very comfortable, but were adequate for the short time I stayed there. Overall, a good experience and would return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I’m pleased to see you were able to utilize our complimentary shuttle service and that overall you enjoyed your stay. I apologize that our beds or in-room heaters did not meet your expecations. Please know that it is in the plans to upgrade these two items later this year. We can’t wait to welcome you back soon.
Redmond
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Pros: location is great, the hotel value is excellent - if you search around you'll find they have the best reviews, but lower costs per night (we got 3rd night free) and they have a nice coffee machine in the room, and tea/coffee available at the lobby when you arrive. Internet worked very well. The free parking was a good perk at the end of our stay.

Cons: Breakfast and service is not awesome. Rooms are kept clean, but the old part is... old. Creaking floors, average bathroom, carpets look old, balcony doors look old. This is an issue if it bothers you (we don't care, especially for the price) Our TV set had a detached cable, which I repaired. Our room was next to the elevator, and the guests upstairs were very noisy with their steps, so it was not a quiet room at all.

Anecdotes:

1. We took a shuttle straight from the airport, there was another girl checking in with a huge bag, we were ahead of her but I helped her open the door, she went straight to the front desk (it was late, nobody queued) and the receptionist yelled: "we're giving you a free upgrade to the new part of the hotel!" Cool! Guess what? We didn't get an upgrade. Of course we didn't ask for it, but with only two guests in your front desk at midnight, you can have some tact. It didn't bother us much except for...

2. No hot water for one night. We understood, the equipment just broke down in "our part" of the hotel. That's fine. But near freezing temperatures prevented us from taking a shower after a 12 hours international trip, and forced us to go out next day without proper showering :( They did solve the issue by late afternoon we arrived, and they said we could leave for another hotel with no penalty (well... moving to another hotel without showering in the middle of our vacations was not our plan)

However, we understand those are temporary issues, and the hotel has otherwise great reviews and offers excellent value, so we would stay there again and/or recommend the hotel to others.

Room Tip: Away from the elevators, and probably in the upper floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing such a detailed review! I’m glad that you found value during your stay. I’m disappointed to hear that our traditional rooms were not to your pleasing. Please know that we are currently planning on completing an upgrade to our traditional rooms later this year that will address many of the issues you mentioned. I would like to sincerely apologize for the lack of hot water during your stay. Please know it was a once in a blue moon situation and we worked as fast as we could to rectify the issue. We hope to see you again soon.
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Normally always staying in the Maxwell, but because 1 group member stayed longer there was no availibilty. The suggestion was to stay nearby at the university, first impression was good as we were served excellent at the reception. The room looked old and cleanish. But the heating was terrible, tempature wasnt managed automaticly so you had to put the heating on yourselves and made a terrible noise( in all rooms) further the beds and pillows where far from nice. So we had 3 nights of major bad sleeps and were so happy we could switch back to maxwell..so No when you dint need to be in area dont go!

• Stayed January 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I’m disappointed to hear we did not meet your expectations. I sincerely apologize you did not receive a restful night’s sleep. Please know that we are planning upgrade our mattresses and sheets as well as the personal heating and air conditioning units in all of our guest rooms in the near future. Thanks again!

Been to University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality? Share your experiences!