“THE Friendliest Staff, Hands Down!” 4 of 5 stars

University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4140 Roosevelt Way NE, Seattle, WA 98105   |
Ranked #29 of 95 hotels in Seattle
Vancouver, Canada
“THE Friendliest Staff, Hands Down!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We've started staying at this hotel every time we're in Seattle, since it's sister "Pineapple" hotel up the street, the Watertown, cut it's complimentary breakfast a while ago. The the rooms at the University Inn aren't quite up to the level of the Watertown's, but the lower rate includes a fairly decent cold buffet breakfast, wifi and free parking. The rooms are stylish, extremely clean and quiet. But the things that strikes me the most is the incredibly friendly staff. Honestly, all of them, from the front desk staff to the maintenance/housekeeping staff you meet in the hallways, each and every time we've stayed there.

The hotel is located in the U District, which allows easy access to the Burke Gilman trail for running or cycling, the University of Washington's beautiful campus, Lake Union and Fremont. You an also book a free shuttle to and from downtown, Woodland Park Zoo, Seattle Centre and I think a few other sports. Seattle's traffic can be a nightmare and parking is expensive downtown, so this is a real bonus.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words! I can’t help but agree, we do have THE best staff. I will be sure to share your praises with the entire team. I’m glad we were able to become your new go-to hotel when our sister property no longer met your needs. Please know we are currently in the planning stages of our next remodel to add some upgrades our rooms in the near future. We look forward to your return to University Inn soon.

380 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Corvallis, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Everything was completely easy. Wi-fi, breakfast, parking. It's close to everything else. The University, downtown, shopping, and eateries. It's a simple couple of blocks off the Interstate, then go around the block and you can get right back on. Or take the surface streets, they're right there.

Room Tip: The Roosevelt street rooms have great little triangular bay windows so you can see up and down the s...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thanks for your kind review. I’m glad we were able to make your stay easy. We hope to see you again in the future.
Albany, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Staff is helpful and pleasant and the inn a comfortable place to stay that met all our needs beautifully. Recently updated rooms are clean and comfortable. Microwave, frige, coffee, tea and hot chocolate provided in room. Bath towels are huge, and so much better than the usual postage stamp size towels hotels provide. Beds are comfortable with a choice of pillows. The adequate continental breakfast saved time and money. Proximity to the University allowed my husband to explore the campus while I attended a two day seminar. The special promotion of third night free made our trip much easier and affordable. Even though we didn't bring our dogs, it was great knowing they would have been welcomed had we needed to bring them. While you are there be sure to walk down the block to the Portage Bay Cafe for lunch or breakfast. Fabulous food!

Room Tip: Rooms along Roosevelt Dr get traffic noise at night. We had emergency vehicles scream by each night...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Bingleysmom, thank you for taking a few moments to review our hotel. I’m glad that you had a comfortable stay. I will be sure to pass on your praises of Portage Bay Café to our colleagues. We hope to see you the next time your travels bring you back to UW or Seattle!
Spokane, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Directly across the street from the UW Bone & Joint Center where I had to go for pre & post-op visits. Clean, friendly in the heart of the U district. a few blocks from the water. First time there couldn't get wi-fi, even with another router. This time, all was good! great Pineapple cupcakes too! Great place and with a discount for patients!

Room Tip: The rooms on Roosevlet side are the best!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for returning to us and taking the time to write a review! I hope your surgery went well. We are currently in the process of upgrading the entire infrastructure of our wireless internet and I’m please to see that it helped with the connection issue you experienced during your first stay. Thanks again!
Nelson, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We recently stayed at the University Inn in Seattle. The deciding factor was the free shuttle to locations in central Seattle. The shuttle left the hotel on the hour (pre-booked through the front desk) and it was advised to pre-book a return time as well (on the half hour). What a great system! The shuttle drivers (both going downtown and returning in the evening) were excellent - friendly, knowledgeable and safe drivers. It's just a quick 5 minutes into downtown from the hotel. We got dropped off a Pacific Place, about 5 blocks from the public market. When we were finished our walkabout down there, we just walked to the Pacific Science Center/Space Needle area - only about a 15 minute walk (we are fast walkers). We had arranged for a shuttle pick-up at the Space Needle and she was there a few minutes early. The rest of our stay was pleasant. Our room was spotless, including the bathroom. The bed was comfortable and we had lots of pillows. It was a self-adjusting heating system, so once we got that set right, it was perfect (and not at all noisy). Our view wasn't great (looking down on the parking lot), but we weren't there for the view and we weren't in the room enough to be an issue - we just wanted a quiet room and this was on the back of the building away from the roads. The room itself was small, but that's the type of room we reserved - the standard queen. If you want something bigger, you'd probably have to book above the standard. It was big enough for two people to move around without bumping into each other, and the entrance to the room was big enough to keep luggage, shoes, etc. out of the main living area. There is no microwave or fridge in the standard room either, but we didn't need it for our short stay. Nice to have complimentary bottled water in the room for taking out on our walkabouts. The front desk staff was very friendly and efficient. The free breakfast was your usual standard continental breakfast, but there were hard boiled eggs for us types that like protein in the morning. My hubby appreciated the Starbucks coffee as well, and they had a nice selection of tea. There were free muffins in the early evening (only until 7 pm), but we were too late arriving to take advantage of that. Parking was off-street in the hotel's parking lot behind the building, and free. We really appreciated that. After looking around at other Seattle hotels, free parking is rare! We didn't use the fitness room or the pool. All in all, I would definitely stay here again and have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you so much for recommending and writing such a detailed review of University Inn! I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and were able to utilize our complimentary shuttle service. I hope you had fun seeing the sights of downtown Seattle. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Breeann6
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed here with two of my children so we could go to Children's Hospital for an appointment. We stayed 2 nights in a standard double queen room. It was very clean with a flat screen tv, microwave, mini fridge, desk, internet access, and 2 bathroom sinks. The shower was great. I LOVED the in room Keurig coffee maker with regular, decaf, and tea pods. Very nice touch! There is also Starbucks coffee in the lobby for free. I have to admit I was a little excited about the pineapple cupcakes, but they were disappointing. When a 7 year old won't eat a cupcake, you know it's wrong. She said, "the frosting tastes like butter." I laughed because frosting SHOULD be buttery, it is made of butter. But then I tasted it and she was right... it was like a glob of butter. No other flavor and not sweet at all. Dry cupcake too. Oh well, it is not supposed to be a bakery, it is a hotel. But cookies would be nicer. Anyway, the room had a little triangle window that my daughter loved to sit in and watch outside. The breakfast was bare bones though... juice, coffee, cereal with milk, yogurt, and baked stuff like mini muffins, bagels, toast. I eat low carb and the only options for me were those cold, pre-made hard boiled eggs. Nothing else. Oh well. But the rooms, lobby, and people are so nice and the pool looks great although it is winter so we didn't use it. I would stay here again. HOWEVER if I was bringing my dog (which is allowed), I would not stay here because there is no potty area and you have to sign a paper saying you won't let your dog potty on the neighboring businesses lawns either. So you have to walk pretty far to potty your dog.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for staying with us while visiting Children’s Hospital and for taking the time to write a review! I’m disappointed to hear that you disliked our pineapple cupcakes. I will be sure to address your concerns with our food and beverage manager. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay otherwise.

We love welcoming our foot legged guests to University Inn as well. Unfortunately, being in the city, green space is hard to come by. However, there is a grassy knoll just across 41st St, less than 1 block away, where we like to recommend our guests walk their four footed friends.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you to Seattle!
Seattle, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

During the Christmas Season I made the arrangements for my brother and his wife to stay at the University Inn and arranged to pay for it. Not once, but 3 times I made it very clear with the people at the hotel I was paying for it.

There was an issue with the toilet overflowing and they spent one night having to run downstairs to use a bathroom. Finally when it got really bad, they moved them to another room and offered them an extra night at half price. When he checked out, he wanted to pay for just that one night. But they wanted to charge him for the entire stay, so he called me and I spoke with some one there, explaining I was paying for the first 4 nights, my brother was only paying for the last night.

University Inn charged my brother for all nights, eventually he was credited back the money, but not before he got an overdraft charge.

There is no one there who can help us until next week. What a way to ruin the holiday.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and bringing this issue to our attention. I sincerely apologize for the issues your family experienced during your recent stay. It was a pleasure to chat with your brother about this situation a few days ago where we came up with a solution to make up for our faults. Should you have any other questions or would like to speak me directly, please feel free to contact me at aguyton@universityinnseattle.com. Thanks again!