“Cozy, clean, and modern” 4 of 5 stars

University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4140 Roosevelt Way NE, Seattle, WA 98105   |
Ranked #28 of 95 hotels in Seattle
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Cozy, clean, and modern”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I was impressed. Stayed here for one night because I had to be at University of Washington for a language proficiency test. It is very close to the campus--will take you less than 5 minutes walk. It's also super accessible by public transportation--I took the bus from King Street Station. Our room was very spacious, clean, bright, and modern. We had a queen room on the fourth floor on the south end of the hotel I think. It was nice to relax there. The free breakfast in the morning was nothing special, but I did appreciate free tea, coffee, and pineapple cupcakes when we checked in. It's also nice that check out is 12 PM. The staff was really pleasant. I would definitely stay again if I'm visiting Seattle!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Thanks for your kind review! I'm glad you were able to relax during your stay. I hope you did well on your language proficiency test. Thanks again! We look forward to see you again the next time you visit Seattle.

379 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Going to Seattle to visit the city this is the place to stay University Inn. It is located on Roosevelt Way. Clean, friendly, reasonable price, and helpful staff. A shuttle to the city, FREE. Everything about the University Inn is well worth the stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thanks for writing a nice review about University Inn. I think your title says it all. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon!
Boston, Mass
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were there to visit the UW Campus and you can walk right over from hotel and if you want to head downtown they have a free shuttle that runs on the hour and will drop you at various locations downtown. The hotel is clean and the staff was friendly. When I was there it was not overly crowed and they gave me a room upgrade without me asking! It has a nice free breakfast and free wifi There is nothing fancy about this place but if you want a hotel close to campus that is fairly priced, clean, and with a nice staff this is a sure bet.

Room Tip: The free shuttle fills up so make sure you book space on it ahead of time.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind review! I’m glad you were able to enjoy the complimentary upgrade and utilize our complimentary local area shuttle. I hope you had a great time visiting UW. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I had a great first impression of University Inn, where I stayed for one night. I called to ask about transportation from the airport and the receptionist was very friendly and helpful with directions. She described exactly how to get from Sea-Tac to the Westlake Center where the complementary hotel shuttle will pick up guests. I had no problems getting to the hotel. Indeed, everyone at the hotel was very friendly and helpful.

I was assigned to a room on the fourth floor in the north wing. There are two separate wings, which are only connected on the ground floor, so be sure to get on the correct elevator. The north wing is older, but the property is lovingly cared for. Everything was clean and comfortable, just not spanking new. My room had a great balcony overlooking the parking lot.

My one issue was that the complementary wireless internet connection was not working well in my room, which admittedly was in the furthest corner of the hotel. I was also using a very old laptop. I didn’t mind working in the breakfast area downstairs, where it worked fine. There is also a computer with a printer for use in the lobby.

Breakfast consisted of the usual continental breakfast offerings. There are delicious mini pineapple cupcakes offered as snacks between 4-7pm.

In short, I had a pleasant stay at this retro chic hotel in the University district. It was convenient for my purposes in town. The UW campus shuttle stops across the street, and the main drag offers many dining options. However, someone I met on the bus told that the Watertown hotel one block away, also managed by Pineapple Hospitality, is much nicer, so it might sense to compare the rates.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review! Its always nice to hear that our staff is friendly and helpful. I sincerely apologize for the wireless internet connection issues in your room. Please know that we are currently in the process of upgrading our entire wireless internet infrastructure which will rectify the issue. I’m glad you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to your return to Pineapple Hospitality hotel in the future.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

The University Inn is a wonderfully convenient, small hotel for visiting the UW camusand medical center. The hotel is locally owned with fun little touches like pineapple cupcakes served each afternoon. The rooms are well-appointed, nicely decorated. The free Internet is probably the fastest I've ever had in a hotel. This hotel would receive if it fixed two minor, but noticeable problems. 1) the hotel's upstairs hallways have a strong mildew odor and poor ventilation (does not affect rooms); 2) the free breakfast is unremarkable to the point of feeling lacking (needs eggs, biscuits, or anything other than toast, coffee, and bananas).

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! I’m please to see that you enjoyed our pineapple cupcakes and complimentary wireless internet. I’m disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy our continental breakfast offerings. I am currently working on evaluating these options and will take your notes into consideration. We're very concerned that you smelled mildew in the hallways and I have launched our engineering team to investigate the issue. Thanks again and hope to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to Seattle.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was my first time in Seattle and I picked the University Inn because it was well priced, had free breakfast and parking, and a free shuttle. It seemed to have good reviews, so we blindly went with it. I could not be more pleased!! It was possibly the best hotel I have ever stayed in, and I travel a lot. Granted, it is not super fancy, but the staff was wonderful, the place was immaculate and adorably decorated, the breakfast was generous, the room was charming and large, and the beds were incredible. I cannot say enough good things about this place! Parking was super easy and the shuttle was so wonderful to have in order to do touristy things in the city. Overall, this was a fantastic hotel and I will never stay anywhere else in Seattle. You cannot beat it for the price, but knowing what I now know, I would pay even more. I highly recommend the University Inn!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for generous review! I will be sure to share your kind words with the whole team. I'm please to see you enjoyed so many of our amenities and I'm glad that we have become your new home when visiting Seattle. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is a great hotel, with a great price and location - in the U district, near lots of good restaurants, and of course, the University of Washington and the UW Medical Center. The decor is sort of mod-hip, but very pleasing. The room was great - lots of pillows on the bed, flat screen TV. Our deluxe room had a microwave and fridge as well. Parking was free, in lots right on the property. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful.

They have an airport shuttle for $25.

My only complaint was breakfast - it was only the typical hotel fair: bagels, cereal, donuts, etc. The only fresh fruit was bananas (but at least they were organic). And, the had STARBUCKS coffee - ugh! I would think that with all the local, boutique roasters in Seattle, that a hip little hotel like this would have decent coffee.

If their breakfast/coffee had been better, they would have received 5 stars. I will definitely stay here on my next trip to Seattle.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MarcoBaumann, General Manager at University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear KrisRudin,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and share your experiences with other travelers. We truly appreciate that you chose our hotel for your visit. Unfortunately , you did not enjoy our complimentary breakfast offering or coffee. In our efforts to provide a quality experience for our guests, we decided to select a nationally-recognized local coffee. (Well, they started locally) We can definitely recommend our neighbor, Portage Bay for a much wider selection of breakfast offerings. We hope to welcome you back! Thanks again for your review!

Marco Baumann
Managing Director

Been to University Inn - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality? Share your experiences!