“Terrible” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #80 of 97 Hotels in Seattle
Spokane, WA
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

Very bad experience. Dirty, poor maintenance, poor service, poor security. Pool and spa are dirty. Rooms are dirty. No check in until 4 p.m. no matter what your situation. There were several families here for a wedding with us and we all hated it. Nothing else available in the area because of UW. We would never, ever stay here again!

• Liked — Proximity to University City Mall
  • Disliked — cleanliness and maintenance
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

My family needed a place to stay while our son was to have surgery, travelodge offered a reasonable price. We requested a Ground level room and a crib, when we arrived we were told that our room was upstairs. After inspecting the room there was no crib, the bathroom had rust stains on the walls, the light was burned out, cobwebs in the corners, peeling wallpaper, and broken locks.
We asked about getting a crib, after a long wait we called the front desk and were told that 2 of the 3 cribs were in use the third was missing. Our son slept in his stroller for a few hours. after a long wait we went to the front desk to complain we were blown off since we had got a discounted price we got discounted service. the manager had eventually arrived after buying a new crib. We were pleased that they had gone through the effort however our pleasure was gone once we asked the manager about the crib she said "I just bought one, now don't you feel stupid?". It took a while to set the crib up and the mattress was thin and our son slept poorly. We will never stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

Second time I've stayed here. The pluses have been location - safe, nice area, free parking and good sized rooms. The minuses, both stays - sheets and towels are rough and very thin, below Motel 6, the worst I've ever experienced, bathrooms are very worn looking and a little dirty, ie faucet handle center had not been cleaned. Pillows were "wimpy", bed didn't stay made. Room size good, carpet & fixtures looked much newer than towels & sheets. I like a bargin and don't mind some trade offs for price, but the AAA rate for the room with all taxes & charges (1 queen, 2 people) was $112.87. I'm looking for other places for future stays, but the location is definitely the draw for me.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room conditions
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Grand Rapids
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2007

I was in Seattle for a weekend and knew that I wouldn't be spending much time in the room, so booked a room at the University Travelodge since it was one of the less-expensive hotels in the area. I don't understand why a lot of the travelers had such negative experiences.
The staff during check in and check out were very kind and considerate. The room was definitely on the more worn side, but clean
and comfortable. It's within easy walking distance to the UW campus, and there is a great shopping area across the street.

If I am in the Seattle area, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2007

I reserved 2 rooms for my parents and relatives first time visit to Seattle. I was very excited to show them a good time. I noticed the Travel Lodge next to the University Village and thought it might be a great idea for them to stay there since they can go and shop across the street. So convenient, I thought!

I read some of the reviews on this site but I made the mistake of not taking it more seriously.
I had the same experience with some of the other reviewers. The room wasn't ready for check in until 4 in the afternoon. When we enter the room it stunk badly. The exterior had a fresh coat of paint but it didn't hide the decaying interior. The beds were dirty and the pillows stunk of oily dirty hair. The lights on the bed side table were out. They didn't refill the tissue paper in the bathroom. Worst of all we found that they didn't even clean the room. Just made the bed and that's it! Can't believe they are charging people for staying in this dump!

• Liked — not the accomodation but the location to the shopping area next door
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

Our son was getting married, and we needed 4 bedrooms for our family, so we booked this hotel, thinking that it would be great to have a living room, dining room and kitchen for our 3 night stay. We had two 2 bedroom units. It was the worst hotel we have ever stayed in, and we tried desperately to find anything else to get out of this dump. On the first night, returning from the rehearsal, my daughter found that her room key would not work, and that another couple was standing at our other door, attempting to use their key to open the room. The clerk had given them our room number as their room. The clerk sneered at my daugher when she went to the desk to sort out the problem. No apology, just ridicule. He then totally berated our other daughter when she paid for a parking pass for a third car - he even threatened that our cars might be damaged or that he might have them towed away by morning. Understand that we weren't unpleasant to him, we just seemed to catch him in the middle of a nervous breakdown. To top it off, when my husband went to the desk (we were afraid to send our adult daughters back under any circumstances) to ask for pillows and blankets for the bed chesterfield, the clerk handed my husband 6 towels and said he had no more pillows or blankets. Our bedding was stained, my mom's blanket was dirty, the bathroom was shabby and the floor was cracked. Some walls had pictures, some had bare hooks where pictures had once been. The wallpaper was dirty and marked. Our dining room table had 4 chairs (2 of them broken), while the other room had only 1 chair to go with the table. That room also had no dishes at all. Ours had 1 cup, 1 glass and an assortment of broken, unmatched dishes and cutlery. We gave our other room 2 of our 3 spoons. The pots were beat-up teflon that had rust on the bottom. I wouldn't boil water in them. Neither two-bedroom unit was clean and the furniture and rugs were noticeably stained. The door to the deck had no handle, and in my sister's room the vertical blinds were falling off when she tried to open her door (which also was broken). The beds had a flat mattress protector and thin, flat sheets - so when we slept we ended up on the bare mattress. It was enough to send chills down all our spines. This was the worst dump we have ever experienced, and we would gladly have packed and moved on the first night, despite it being almost 11:00 P.M by the time the clerk finished with us. I was so embarassed to have my mom with us, and my sister also renting a room. How can Travel Lodge allow this dive to carry its name? We expected a basic room, but we expected it to be clean and reasonably furnished with dishes, cutlery and pots, and bedding. I have never heard of a hotel not providing extra pillows and blankets (we only had 4 pillows in each room, and were not being unreasonable requesting pillows for the bed chesterfield). To top it off, there is major construction next door and it starts before 7:00 A.M. Don't call this a "Travel Lodge", call this a "Travel Nightmare".

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — front desk
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid like the plague
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2006

I stayed here to save money on a 3 day campus visit at the University of Washington. When I arrived, I was told I was too early to check in so I asked if they could check my bags while I went for a walk to the UW. They agreed and just put them behind the front desk without taking my name or giving me a check tag, which might've been okay if there was a person there too, but when you walk into the office, there's just an empty front desk area while the staff hide away in a back room. In other words, it would take about 5 seconds for someone to reach over and steal my bags. I asked them to store my luggage which contained a camcorder and my laptop in the backroom like any normal hotel would but they refused. When it came time to check into my room I was horrified. Both of my chairs were badly stained as was the bedskirt. I had to lay towels down on the chairs to feel comfortable sitting on them. My lampshade was also stained with what was either coffee or blood. I'm not sure which and didn't care to find out. At night you could either choose to freeze your butt off or turn on the ridiculously loud heater. The pipes and shower head had a lot of visible rust and the bathroom just didn't seem clean. This was one of the worst motel/hotels I've ever stayed in. I know you have to lower your standards when you go budget but this was just intolerable.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business

Been to Travelodge Seattle University? Share your experiences!