“Not what I expected...in a bad way!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #68 of 97 Hotels in Seattle
Lynden, Washington
“Not what I expected...in a bad way!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2008

Booked 2 nights here, one night at either end of a vacation. Stayed the night on a Friday before an early Saturday morning flight. Checkin was very good, staff at that point were simply great. Based on the reviews posted on here, I expected a great nights sleep with the raves about the new beds and how comfy they were.

I am convinced someone who works at this hotel wrote those reviews!! The bed we had (queen) was new maybe, but hard as a rock. It hurt my ribs to lay on my side more than one minute...something I have never experienced...even when laying on a hard floor. Having been to numerous countries, I have experienced some pretty uncomfortable beds. This bed was by far...the worst. I believe what made it so bad, was the pillows they had. They felt like feather pillows...very soft to touch and squeeze. But place your head on it, and they went flat..very flat, stayed flat...felt like sleeping on a sandbag. I never did get to sleep.

I gave up at 2:30 am...my body now racked with pain...as if I had been hit by a truck. Have never experienced any kind of bed that actually made my body ache and hurt from laying on it for that short a period of time.

Went to the lobby to get a cup of their 24 hour coffee. It was indeed very good coffee...that part was great. Stepped outside the lobby doors to have a smoke, and heard the doors lock behind me. Wasn't sure why that was, but had my key, so no big deal. Watched in amazement as this kid (23?) comes running across the street and right up to the lobby door entrance where I am standing. In pursuit is a white mustang car with 2 thugs in it threatening to kill this guy. I honestly got spooked and decided to step back in and get out the way in case something happened. Guess what...couldn't get back in! No place to put your key and open the doors. Had to wait for the guy on duty to respond to open the door (slow as all heck!) and only after I had convinced him I actually had a room there???

Got brave again after the mustang and thugs took off, and the guy left the front of the hotel. Stepped back out to have another cup of that really good coffee with another smoke...had to calm my nerves! I'm halfway done with my coffee, when up walk 4 young guys...totally hammered. They just hung outside and smoked and joked about the night they just had. Turns out they were military...stationed in Hawaii...on leave I suppose? They were actually very nice guys...although very drunk. They decided to go into their room...again after a couple minutes of trying to convince the guy on duty behind the desk that the hotel keys they were showing were real...and for that hotel. They got about 7 or 8 steps toward the elevator when one of them turns and runs for the door to go outside again. Guess what's coming next?? Yep...barely got the door open, and he just starts puking all over the enrtyway of the lobby just outside the doors. Honestly hurled like for 3 or 4 minutes...a real mess to say the least. Sad to say...at this point I was amused. I began to wonder just what the heck kind of place was this I had booked a room...for 2 nights!!

I managed to mostly step around the puke and get back in to the hotel...the night guy knows me by now and just unlocks the door without the formal proof of room rental there. I leave at 4am...
FINALLY! I check out and head for the door with my luggage in tow...
only to be greeted with this huge pile of puke that there is still no way to get around without having the ability to jump 8-10 feet with luggage in flight. I couldn't believe the lazy desk guy had not at least hosed the mess out of the way...it was a huge mess and he did NOTHING! I asked him how I was to get out without getting the puke on my shoes or luggage, and he simply rolled his eyes and went back into his little room off the back of the front desk. I couldn't believe it! Yes...I got puke on my shoes, simply no way around it without jumping over it....impossible with luggage.

Did I mention I had booked a room there for the night after my flight returned....and had already paid for it? Yep I did. Got back into Seattle at 12:30am...dead tired. Even though it had been reserved, and paid for...I drove right on by without even thinking of spending the night there. You could not have paid me to stay there that night...or ever again.

And no, I am not making one bit of this up...all true! And you guys that work there at this place...I know you read these reviews because we discussed the rave reviews about your beds at check-in...you really need to find some better night help if nothing else. The night being discussed here was 10-24-2008. All I can say is the coffeee was good..
..but at $154 a cup in my case...it really should be good coffee!

• Liked — Coffee
  • Disliked — Night Manager
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Ascot
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

We enjoyed our stay at the Travelodge in Seattle. We did have a few issues, but nothing major and we actually extended another two nights.

Pros:
- Good size rooms
- Large king beds
- Really comfy, new linens, duvets and hundreds of pillows
- New carpets and nice hallways
- Good cable TV service with on demand films, TV programmes
- Friendly staff
- Free parking
- Coffee in reception was actually drinkable
- Good location for Space Centre and about a 10-15 minute walk to downtown
- Good value, we paid £50 inc tax weekday and £65 at the weekend
- Excellent local pizza delivery place called Bambinos - fresh, homemade and delicious

Cons:
- We had a downstairs room which smelt really musty and was damp - we didn't bother to ask to move as we spent little time in our room
- Bathrooms are a little grungy - they need redoing and the towels were thin
- Heating/air con unit was a blast from the past - it just about heated the room up but it was like a jet engine taking off - you could hear everyone elses too
- Although the location was good, it was a little 'lively' at night. Having a ground floor room, we were a little distracted by the locals having street races and generally hanging out on a Friday/Saturday night. Probably congragating round the nearby McDonalds.
- Housekeeping staff pretty noisy in the morning if you're trying to have a lie in
- Breakfast usual free continential buffet but the room is tiny and you're not supposed to take it back to your room (although I sneaked it on a couple of occasions).
- They advertise a self-service laundry but looked surprised when I asked to use it (I had run out of pants). Still never got an answer as to why they have it in their in room brochure and website and yet it doesn't exist in the hotel

I'd say this is a very good value budget option for Seattle with a car. You can't really get the location with free parking for less. But go for a room higher up and just make sure you don't need to do any laundry!

• Liked — Comfy beds, new bedding, good coffee, free parking and good rates for Seattle
  • Disliked — Damp ground floor rooms, location a bit dodgy on a Fri/Sat night
  • Stayed October 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chilliwack, BC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

We stayed for 2 nights and it was just okay. You can see that they have really made an effort to renovate, but there are still a few touches needed. For example, the bedding is all new, but the carpeting is still old, the bathrooms still need painting and look grungy, plus the elevators have a funny smell. When we arrived 2 hours before check-in they didn't have any rooms available. However, there is free parking, and they are located close to the Space Needle (only a few blocks away). It is about a 15-20 minute walk to Pike Market, and the front desk staff suggested a great place to eat. But if you are considering booking a room, shop around for rates but then call them directly. We would have saved about $30CAD/night if we called them directly (we know this because Expedia charged us when we booked the room in August, then the hotel accidentally charged us after we checked out). They also do not have a "1-800" number if you are trying to contact the hotel directly and the reservation line (which is a "1-800" number) cannot transfer you. The free continental breakfast is great - they have a variety of foods and you can make your own waffles! The pool looked nice, but we didn't get a chance to use it.

• Liked — Free breakfast
  • Disliked — Some sevice issues, cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2008

I stayed at this Travelodge in December 2007 (no comment) and again on September 4th.... BIG BIG BIG Difference, the Bedding - OMG like staying at a Hilton, the docor... like a possible trendy hotel, the new manager..... very friendly, knowledgeble, passionate.... new hotel, new staff and I am a believer now... I came back by not much choice and is very happy that I did.

Free Parking and just a block from the Space Needle and Monorail.... and the breakfast..... Wow!

I recommend this hotel to my mother.....

• Liked — The Bedding was Wonderful, the syle of the decor, free parking, breakfast, the Management and Staff
  • Disliked — the complicated remote control for the television
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

Stayed here with my girlfriend for one night.
It has great location for the Space Needle, it's about a five minute walk although not sure about how far from dowtown.
The hotel itself was nice and clean and the room and bathroom were a good size.
There was also a small pool and an excellent complimentary breakfast along with free wifi.
Our main complaint was the rude service we received from the front desk upon arrival and when checking out. The man/teenager that checked us in was quite ignorant and rude.
Overall we would of been happy to stay in this hotel longer if we had been in Seattle longer.

• Liked — Complimentary Breakfast
  • Disliked — Rude staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Arvada, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

My family and I stayed at this hotel for six nights in May. The hotel is still undergoing renovations. The best and worst things about the hotel are its location. It is very close to the space needle (about three blocks away). It's also about a 5-10 minute walk from Lake Union. The neighborhood felt fairly safe during the daytime. I'm not sure if I would walk it at night. There were a few transients in the area. It didn't seem to us as if there were very many restaurants close by. The room was very small, but did seem as if it had been recently renovated. The remote controls for the tv were very simplistic, so that you had to scroll through each channel rather than being able to simply enter the channel you wanted. The free internet in the lobby was cool, but they ask you to limit your time to 15 minutes. The breakfast sucked! I'm still trying to figure out how they can say it has 26 items. The eggs were like hard biscuits and nothing had flavor to it. It was mainly bread, waffles, bagels, and danishes. The hotel staff seemed uninterested. You can hear everything that goes on above you and in the rooms next door.

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — The breakfast
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Aachen, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

We just returned from our 7-days stay at the Travelodge Seattle by the Space Needle and we really enjoyed our vacation at this hotel. The staff was very obliging and I really liked the 24 hour Coffee in the lobby. We had a two doublebed-room for two people and it was okay, the bathroom was great, very light and clean and the shower was super. I also liked the Express Check-In/ Check-Out and the free-internet in the lobby.

We had no car during our stay but we reached most of the sightseeing spots of Seattle by foot and those outside Downtown by bus. If you don't want to walk much, you can also take the monorail to get downtown. The Space needle and the EMP and SciFi Museum are only a few minutes away and you can also reach Belltown within 10 minutes, where you can find many nice small restaurants and bars.

All things considered I can recommend this hotel for tourists who want to see much of the city and stay at a good and advantageous hotel.

• Liked — The location is great!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Travelodge Seattle by the Space Needle? Share your experiences!