“Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Victoria, Canada
“Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed here for two nights in early April after an Amtrak train trip from San Diego on the Coastal Starlight (very good train ride). Great location near to all the downtown tourist locations and restaurants. Professional, helpful front-end staff. Large, comfortable room with excellent beds (as per all the Westin hotels I've stayed at). Beautiful views of the north part of downtown from our 21st floor room.

Same complaint as with all the Westin, Hilton, Marriott, etc. hotel chains. The nickle and diming for room WiFi service is petty. When charging over $200 per night for a room, WiFi should be included. If the mom & pop hotels can include these service charges in the room rates, surely the high-end hotels can do like-wise. What's next, charging for toilet use and showers?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
GuestRelationsMgrTWS, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Seattle, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are glad to learn you enjoyed your stay with us, especially our professional and helpful service, room size, signature Heavenly Bed and view from your room. It is disappointing to learn it was marred by the charge for Internet access. In order to accommodate the demand of high speed Internet for streaming video, audio, gaming, downloading large files and use of Skype, along with families traveling with multiple devices and accessing the web at the same time, the bandwidth necessary has increased over the years. We hope this will charge will not deter you from returning when your travels bring you back to Seattle. Thank you again for your feedback.

620 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

I'm was here on a work related conference and I must say my experience here was an excellent one. From the location to the service. This is a must stay at hotel. I'm from Boston and the city of Seattle is a very nice one. The only negative thing I have to say about the city is that it has a lot of homeless people, and somewhat shady looking crowd around the downtown area.

• Stayed April 2013
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I recently had occasion to visit Seattle for a couple of days of R and R. It was an amazing. I actually booked the hotel through a website to obtain a discount rate, and was very impressed with how well everything was looked after.

The hotel was quite busy, a lot of conference business going on but never did I feel overwhelmed or crowded. The room I was placed in (after requesting a king bed and a water view which were all accommodated) was lovely. Clean, fresh, and spacious enough for the purpose. The service from the hotel staff overall was very good as well.

this is a great hotel in a great location for walking around to shopping, entertainment, the market and beyond.

Room Tip: I called ahead and requested a water view room on a higher floor. Request a room at the end of the...
Green Features: Standard environmental practices as far as hotels go.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. It is rewarding to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and found your room clean, fresh and comfortable, and service was very good. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
New England USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Attended a conference here for a few days. I read the reviews and I agree with many of the statements of great views and very helpful staff. I must say the staff are great and will do what it takes to help you. So they are well trained. I gave my visit a 3 from a 4 because my experiences were difficult. In other cities I stay, the hotels amenities and appeal are distinctive. Here it was basic.

Here's the good: The rooms are well appointed, and due to my membership in westin, my Wifi was free every day. The bathrooms have a deep bathtub and the views out to the city were okay. Being on the 30's floor level gave it a nice over view of the city. However, no views of the space needle, harbor or mountains that others in the north tower see. If I had my kids here, I would stay here if the price was right. I like the $5 off for not cleaning the rooms. The closet space is okay, and the iron was clean and working.

Valet parking is on the EAST side of the hotel, and the main entrance is on the WEST side of the hotel. Self parking is NORTH. this is all confusing to a new visitor. A friend of mine had to circle around the hotel several times to find where to park, ending up at valet. The hotel is surrounded by one way streets.

The location is GREAT because all of the transits stop nearby or just across the street. You can take the train from the airport to one block away for about $5. The GO shuttle will cost $18, and a cab will be over $40. The journey takes about 45 minutes to an hour. There is a McDonalds, Bank of America, pharmacy and other conveniences nearby. If you want to eat outside the hotel, the ICON Grill is a good spot.

Here's what annoyed me: The south tower elevators do not stop at the conference rooms on the 4th floor so if you are attending a conference DO NOT STAY IN THE SOUTH TOWER!!!! I struggled carrying bags from the south to the north tower to set up my booth.. what a mess! Also, the wifi as described by other in the lobby or hall are terrible. I found my laptop crashing in the lobby and meeting rooms for some strange reason, and once I did not connect to the hotel's "free" service in the main areas, I was able to work.

While the rooms are well appointed, the Digital TV shows only analog shows, including local TV!!! The hallways are circular so get a room away from the elevator or ice machine because the noise is loud. In addition, the panoramic windows are awful for a light sleeper because the city noise and related vibration is very loud even in the 30's. A fire engine, airplane, or noisy car going by or a car horn blowing is heard clearly. That means to me the hotel is worn and need of updating their window seals and caulking. The Bistro Burger/Breakfast Buffet is small, so if you are at a conference, you need to get in line quickly or you will wait. If that happens, the ICON Grill is just across the street for breakfast as well.

If you are here with family, this is a fun location. For a conference, stay on the north tower facing northwest. My guess it is quieter and much better views!

Room Tip: Stay at North Tower, northwest corner away from elevators.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GuestRelationsMgrTWS, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Seattle, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your positive comments as well as constructive criticism. We are glad you enjoyed the view from your room and service from the staff. The North and South Towers are connected through the lobby and mezzanine levels of the hotel but not through the third and fourth level meeting areas. We apologize it was difficult to move your equipment from your room to the meeting space. For future reference, we do have Service Express attendants available to assist you 24 hours a day. Additionally, we can assist with troubleshooting Wi-Fi connectivity, so please contact us if you need assistance. The comments regarding street noise have been forwarded to our engineering team to investigate and apologize your rest was disrupted. We hope your conference was a success and look forward to another opportunity to be of service when your future travel plans bring you back to Seattle.
Silverdale, Wa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We are locals and two or three times a year stay in the city for a "staycation". This past week-end we decided to see Jersey Boys at the 5th Ave and stay close by. We chose the Westin this time as we had not stayed there before. We were able to get a AAA bed and breakfast rate which was decent. We had a great room on the 25th floor and from the moment we walked up to the front desk to check in we were greeted with a smile and just the right amount of small talk so that we felt truly welcomed. The room itself was a standard King and was very nice. The room was large, very very clean and had a spectacular view of Seattle and the Puget Sound. We enjoyed a good nights sleep and then had two choices for our breakfast portion of the package.The breakfast could either be room service (eggs, toast, juice, bacon) or you could enjoy the breakfast buffet in Relish the onsite restaurant. We chose to enjoy the buffet. The buffet itself was lovely, not overly large but plenty of nice hot choices for the morning. Our server was very friendly and helpful. The only issue was that after our buffet we gave the server our "vouchers" for the breakfast but she still dropped the bill at our table on which it stated "Please pay the balance" so we inquired about this and she waved it off and said that some people like to keep the reciept but we owed nothing. Of course we left a tip but I thought it was odd that they handed us a reciept asking for payment when none was needed. Not a big deal though or so I thought. When I checked my email receipt for our stay I found that we had indeed been charged for our breakfast! I immediately called to ask why and I was very quickly told that "oops" that is our mistake and we'll send you a new bill right away. I was bothered by this because so many people may not even check their bill right away and this seemed a little unprofessional to me from a hotel such as the Westin. I enjoyed the hotel itself though and plan on staying in other Starwood properties but will always check the bill prior to checking out. All in all, a very nice stay had there not been that little glitch with our bill it would have been nearly perfect.

Room Tip: The higher up floors will warrant the best views.
Green Features: This is a very "green"hotel and I appreciate the extent they go to preserve the environnment without taking away from our comfort.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed here in April 2013 for a spring break visit to Seattle. Booked two connecting rooms and the hotel upgraded us to a suite and a connecting room at the top of the north tower. Stunning and sweeping views from the Olympic mountains through downtown and Mt Rainier. Service at check-in, concierge and the business desk was very efficient. Hotel is very conveniently located with most Seattle attractions within walking distance (walked to Pioneer Square, Seattle Center/Space Needle, Pikes Place, SAM, and the Ferries) and great shopping and services within a few blocks. Also has a car rental agency right across the street and public transit (monorail, streetcar and train to the airport) nearby. Kids loved the pool (which was not busy) and we liked the gym. Only negative was breakfast at the in-house restaurant RELISH - was very slow service and pricey. There are far better options within minutes of the hotel. Would highly recommend the Westin for your business or leisure stay in Seattle.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and ideally in the north tower - better views
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Two standout experiences staying here for business: the western waterfront view from extra large floor-to-ceiling windows in the north tower (30th floor, complete with occasional seagull calls) and the fastest room service ever on three separate occasions. (Less than 20 minutes each time! The flame-grilled burger is worth calling up to your room from their signature restaurant downstairs.) The combination of both of these made "staying in" one drizzling day a pleasant and rejuvenating retreat from air travel delays.

Another standout is the Heavenly Bed which is consistently plush and luxurious, though not a new experience for me. Internet connection by laptop was free in my room for a day; but I wonder if this was a special arrangement because I stayed at a special business rate for a business event taking place there. When I tried to connect to wifi by my smartphone in my room a fee of $9.95 a day was required (but not by laptop!?), so this is curious... Either way, I appreciated ease of access. The room also has Starbucks coffee for the in-room coffee maker - strong and flavorful. No need to order an extra pot with room service. My coffee maker was actually broken my first morning there, but my disappointment was short-lived since the room service attendant quickly brought in a brand new unit. The bathroom amenities are high quality - enjoyed the white tea bar soap shaped into a leaf. Not a lot of space in the bathroom to move around in, but the tub area has a tub-length ledge at about knee-level and handle bar, which are thoughtfully placed. Newer tile and minimally flecked quartz (?) throughout - more soothing than granite in a bathroom, but that's just me. The only occasional guest noise I heard was in the hallway, due no less to the very large gap underneath my door, but no guest noise through the walls. There were unusual sounds once in a while - like fingernails tapping quickly on a table top - in the walls on one side of the room. Wondered if that were related to the a/c though, which did operate reliably. The closet is located away from the windows (creating a designated dressing area near the bathroom, and out of sight) and it had its own automatic light sensor connected to one of the doors, which made it easy to see inside. The closet is tiny though, and includes a small file-cabinet sized set of three drawers off the floor (along with the usual safe for valuables); so, there isn't a lot of room to put your items out of sight. No separate set of drawers in the room either, which I never miss, but others might.

The business center was being renovated, but the 24-hour business outlet (accessible by key) offered free boarding pass printing. Use of the computers and printers cost at least $10 for the first 15 minutes for all other uses. When I called the front desk initially though about printing a two-page document, the attendant was willing to have me email it to him to print for free, with delivery to my room. I appreciated the thoughtful gesture (since I dreaded the thought of running into colleagues in the lobby late at night!), but I didn't take him up on it that evening because I decided to wait until morning.

I will keep this hotel at the top of my list for family travel to Seattle, but only if I'm prepared to make a few additional adjustments. All the snacks (chips, candy, nuts, etc.) are easily accessible in the TV cabinet and cost at least $5 each; so, I would need to prepare to handle that with my kid. The fridge is full of liquor (with a $25 fee if you remove items to store your own), and while a separate fridge is available should you need one, it isn't guaranteed. And no microwave. While the hotel has few restaurants, a mall food court is across the street - there's a mall McDonald's and another separate restaurant across the street towards the waterfront. For the occasional, unexpected happy meal, you know? There's also a drug store, and an Old Navy across the street - since you never know what you need traveling with kids. There are noticeable homeless folks all along here though, too, and some hidden corners on your walk around town will smell. If yours kids are prone to, say, ask potentially embarrassing questions aloud, this is a heads up on preparing for that.

On the up side though, when traveling without kids, THE flagship Nordstrom store is also across the way, as well as a Nords Rack and Macy's - a vacation from Saturday night at Target, I must say!

Overall, this memorable stay has put this family of hotels on my radar for all future travel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Seattle? Share your experiences!