“So close to being perfect but...” 4 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #46 of 95 hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Silverdale, Wa
“So close to being perfect but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We are locals and two or three times a year stay in the city for a "staycation". This past week-end we decided to see Jersey Boys at the 5th Ave and stay close by. We chose the Westin this time as we had not stayed there before. We were able to get a AAA bed and breakfast rate which was decent. We had a great room on the 25th floor and from the moment we walked up to the front desk to check in we were greeted with a smile and just the right amount of small talk so that we felt truly welcomed. The room itself was a standard King and was very nice. The room was large, very very clean and had a spectacular view of Seattle and the Puget Sound. We enjoyed a good nights sleep and then had two choices for our breakfast portion of the package.The breakfast could either be room service (eggs, toast, juice, bacon) or you could enjoy the breakfast buffet in Relish the onsite restaurant. We chose to enjoy the buffet. The buffet itself was lovely, not overly large but plenty of nice hot choices for the morning. Our server was very friendly and helpful. The only issue was that after our buffet we gave the server our "vouchers" for the breakfast but she still dropped the bill at our table on which it stated "Please pay the balance" so we inquired about this and she waved it off and said that some people like to keep the reciept but we owed nothing. Of course we left a tip but I thought it was odd that they handed us a reciept asking for payment when none was needed. Not a big deal though or so I thought. When I checked my email receipt for our stay I found that we had indeed been charged for our breakfast! I immediately called to ask why and I was very quickly told that "oops" that is our mistake and we'll send you a new bill right away. I was bothered by this because so many people may not even check their bill right away and this seemed a little unprofessional to me from a hotel such as the Westin. I enjoyed the hotel itself though and plan on staying in other Starwood properties but will always check the bill prior to checking out. All in all, a very nice stay had there not been that little glitch with our bill it would have been nearly perfect.

Room Tip: The higher up floors will warrant the best views.
Green Features: This is a very "green"hotel and I appreciate the extent they go to preserve the environnment without taking away from our comfort.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

542 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed here in April 2013 for a spring break visit to Seattle. Booked two connecting rooms and the hotel upgraded us to a suite and a connecting room at the top of the north tower. Stunning and sweeping views from the Olympic mountains through downtown and Mt Rainier. Service at check-in, concierge and the business desk was very efficient. Hotel is very conveniently located with most Seattle attractions within walking distance (walked to Pioneer Square, Seattle Center/Space Needle, Pikes Place, SAM, and the Ferries) and great shopping and services within a few blocks. Also has a car rental agency right across the street and public transit (monorail, streetcar and train to the airport) nearby. Kids loved the pool (which was not busy) and we liked the gym. Only negative was breakfast at the in-house restaurant RELISH - was very slow service and pricey. There are far better options within minutes of the hotel. Would highly recommend the Westin for your business or leisure stay in Seattle.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and ideally in the north tower - better views
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Two standout experiences staying here for business: the western waterfront view from extra large floor-to-ceiling windows in the north tower (30th floor, complete with occasional seagull calls) and the fastest room service ever on three separate occasions. (Less than 20 minutes each time! The flame-grilled burger is worth calling up to your room from their signature restaurant downstairs.) The combination of both of these made "staying in" one drizzling day a pleasant and rejuvenating retreat from air travel delays.

Another standout is the Heavenly Bed which is consistently plush and luxurious, though not a new experience for me. Internet connection by laptop was free in my room for a day; but I wonder if this was a special arrangement because I stayed at a special business rate for a business event taking place there. When I tried to connect to wifi by my smartphone in my room a fee of $9.95 a day was required (but not by laptop!?), so this is curious... Either way, I appreciated ease of access. The room also has Starbucks coffee for the in-room coffee maker - strong and flavorful. No need to order an extra pot with room service. My coffee maker was actually broken my first morning there, but my disappointment was short-lived since the room service attendant quickly brought in a brand new unit. The bathroom amenities are high quality - enjoyed the white tea bar soap shaped into a leaf. Not a lot of space in the bathroom to move around in, but the tub area has a tub-length ledge at about knee-level and handle bar, which are thoughtfully placed. Newer tile and minimally flecked quartz (?) throughout - more soothing than granite in a bathroom, but that's just me. The only occasional guest noise I heard was in the hallway, due no less to the very large gap underneath my door, but no guest noise through the walls. There were unusual sounds once in a while - like fingernails tapping quickly on a table top - in the walls on one side of the room. Wondered if that were related to the a/c though, which did operate reliably. The closet is located away from the windows (creating a designated dressing area near the bathroom, and out of sight) and it had its own automatic light sensor connected to one of the doors, which made it easy to see inside. The closet is tiny though, and includes a small file-cabinet sized set of three drawers off the floor (along with the usual safe for valuables); so, there isn't a lot of room to put your items out of sight. No separate set of drawers in the room either, which I never miss, but others might.

The business center was being renovated, but the 24-hour business outlet (accessible by key) offered free boarding pass printing. Use of the computers and printers cost at least $10 for the first 15 minutes for all other uses. When I called the front desk initially though about printing a two-page document, the attendant was willing to have me email it to him to print for free, with delivery to my room. I appreciated the thoughtful gesture (since I dreaded the thought of running into colleagues in the lobby late at night!), but I didn't take him up on it that evening because I decided to wait until morning.

I will keep this hotel at the top of my list for family travel to Seattle, but only if I'm prepared to make a few additional adjustments. All the snacks (chips, candy, nuts, etc.) are easily accessible in the TV cabinet and cost at least $5 each; so, I would need to prepare to handle that with my kid. The fridge is full of liquor (with a $25 fee if you remove items to store your own), and while a separate fridge is available should you need one, it isn't guaranteed. And no microwave. While the hotel has few restaurants, a mall food court is across the street - there's a mall McDonald's and another separate restaurant across the street towards the waterfront. For the occasional, unexpected happy meal, you know? There's also a drug store, and an Old Navy across the street - since you never know what you need traveling with kids. There are noticeable homeless folks all along here though, too, and some hidden corners on your walk around town will smell. If yours kids are prone to, say, ask potentially embarrassing questions aloud, this is a heads up on preparing for that.

On the up side though, when traveling without kids, THE flagship Nordstrom store is also across the way, as well as a Nords Rack and Macy's - a vacation from Saturday night at Target, I must say!

Overall, this memorable stay has put this family of hotels on my radar for all future travel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The view from the hotel is stunning. The hotel comprises two towers so that the lifts go up the centre and every room has an outward facing view. The bedroom is huge with large windows in it and the bed facing the window, so if you're on a high enough floor or aren't worried about people looking in you can leave the curtains open and wake up to see Seattle as you look past your toes in bed. Best views are North (space needle), west (waterfront) or south (downtown). I got east, but from the 43rd floor it was still a very impressive view. That alone made the stay worth it.

The rest seemed to pale into insignificance after the view, but I'll mention them anyway. Part of the lobby area is undergoing redecorating at the moment, so it's a bit scabby. I didn't try the pool. There was no breakfast (didn't bother me as I was heading out into town anyway) and there is no free wifi in the rooms. They do provide free wifi in the lobby, but there are so many people trying to use it that it's unusable and took over 10 minutes just to check emails. It's a shame and not what I'd expect from an SPG hotel. This was very frustrating, but when you get back to the view in your bedroom you don't care anymore, or about the fact that the staff at checkin seemed disinterested and bellboys wandered around the lobby yawning.

I'd rate this 'good', but trip advisor doesn't have anything between 'average' and 'very good'.

Room Tip: North facing (from north tower) gives a view of the space needle South facing from south tower give...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

An impromptu single night stay in downtown Seattle for us...first time visit to the property. The staff was pleasant and helpful from the moment we arrived. We happened to catch a weekend when a large group of young ladies were in town for a dance competition/clinic. While their presence was a little boisterous in the lobby, our guest room was clean, quiet and comfortable. Loved the furnishings and the great view of the Space Needle was a big plus! Looking forward to returning for another visit.

Room Tip: If a quiet room is your goal, be aware that fan units on the North side run all night.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kearney, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed here on our honeymoon and really enjoyed the experience. The two things that most excited us about the trip were the view from the room and the close proximity to everything iconic Seattle. The view from our 22nd floor room was incredible. It looked out over the sound and gave great views of the Seattle city buildings one direction and a closeup of the Space Needle the other direction. What a great way to wake up in the morning. The bed and bedding was extremely comfortable and the shower was great as well. It seemed like from this hotel you could take a short walk to everything in downtown Seattle. It was a 15 minute walk to the Space needle and a little less then 10 minutes to get down to Pike's market. There is also a mall 2 blocks away and plenty of restaurant choices within a couple of block radius. The front desk attendant was very friendly and welcoming to us and the lobby was a nice place to relax at. We also make use of the swimming pool which was a very relaxing place to be with lots of windows giving great views of the city while swimming. This is a memorable place that I wouldn't hesitate to visit again next time we are in the Seattle area!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GuestRelationsMgrTWS, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Seattle, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review. Congratulations on your marriage! We are flattered to have been chosen for your honeymoon and glad to learn you found our location convenient, your room comfortable and our front desk agent friendly and welcoming. We work hard to make every guest’s visit a positive experience and it is rewarding to know our efforts are noticed. We will share your comments with our front desk team. Thank you again and we hope to see you on your next trip to Seattle.
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

A bit dated relative to the Westin Gaslamp in San Diego, but clean, quiet and comfortable. Bed was very comfy. Shower was excellent. Staff were friendly and helpful. Good downtown location within easy walk of nice restaurants and the waterfront. I would stay here again if I return to Seattle.

Room Tip: The higher, the better
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your positive comments on the comfort and cleanliness of your room, and our friendly and helpful service. We are conveniently located to restaurants, shopping and many more Seattle attractions. Thank you again and we look forward to your return.

Been to The Westin Seattle? Share your experiences!