“slipping a bit” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
Port Townsend, Washington
“slipping a bit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

It is an amazing historic hotel. Hot water very slow. Forgot our reservation for high tea. lobby room understaffed and overworked (they complained about it). Chair in room coming apart. lamp unplugged and extension chord it connects to unplugged. It's quirky so if you can overlook that it's your place.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Newport, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

There is a good Wow! and sorry to say there is a bad Wow! The Sorrento Hotel was booked by my employer because I was attending a workshop a the local hospital. That said, I would never afforded myself this hotel. My husband and I check in during a slow time, and we were greeted by the valet team. They quickly took our keys and drove off with our rental car in a dash. I was not expecting such a service, like I said this we booked by my employer. The front desk person was nice, at first, but we had a lot of questions, which seemed to change her tone with us. If felt bad because. But at the end of the conversation we were given our complimentary corks for drinks and she told us about the late night sundae bar.

The elevator leaves a lot to be desired, but it's quirkiness gives it a personality of sorts. It also gets a new carpet with the day of the week written on it each day. Look for that! Sometimes there is an elevator operator, sometimes not.

The room: One King bed, overlooking the parking structure next door's roof. I can't remember what room number we stayed in.

The good Wow! The bed was really really comfortable! Lot's of nice pillows. The bathroom was stunning. White marble throughout. Clean, clean, clean.

The bad Wow! Cold, cold, cold. The heat in our room didn't work. We returned to the front desk, more questions, more "tone" when we told the woman the heat would not turn on in our room. She said something about sending housekeeping to our room with a heater. We then went for a walk to locate my workshop location for the next day. Upon our return...space heater arrived in our room, behind the door so we slammed into it when we returned...and it was filthy....and it appeared to have unspecified brownish red stains/spots all over it. Cold no more, just scared.

Here is the Wow that bothered us...one housekeeper told us to watch out for a certain staff member because they are known for going into rooms that have the "privacy please" door hangers up and they know the guest have left the room.

Room Tip: Please be aware before you check in... the cost of Valet Parking. You can park your own car across...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Lot's of history welcomes you to this classic boutique hotel just up the hill from downtown Seattle. Since 1909 this traditional elegant hotel has been a mainstay for those who cherish a piece of the past. I marveled at the lavish wood paneled lobby, Fireside Lounge and Hunt Club Restaurant. We stayed in a large spacious room with ample windows to showcase the Seattle "skyscape." The marble bathroom was sparkling clean and had a dressing area to boot. Furnishings were tasteful and complmented the architecture of the room. The staff was friendly and professional and consistently that way from the front door to the desk to the restaurant wher our party enjoyed the best steak dinner we have had in a long time. Service in the Hunt Club was exceptional and attentive with several wait staff there for our every need. We even enjoyed a complimentary drink with the hotels "cork program." A unique town car is available for short jaunts down the hill for shopping. The Sorrento is well worth a visit and a truly unique experience.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and spacious with lots of light. It's Seattle so open windows can bring i...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Shelton, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

There are no words to explain, how wonderful the entire staff treated, not only me, but everyone I observed. Not the best way to stay at a hotel, however, We will come back once my husband has recovered from 2 more surgeries. In fact, when he is scheduled for his kidney surgery at Swedish, I will stay at the Sorrento, and only the Sorrento . My husband had surgery at Harborview Hospital, I stayed, by myself, from 11/13/14, till Dec 1 . My husbands surgery was canceled because they found another tumor in the kidney....This hotel, did everything one would need to do for me to survive this devastating news. I do not mean to be dramatic, however, the truth can not be denied. The Sorrento does give reprieve of costs for your stay. depending on their availability...they drive you back and forth from 7AM till 10PM, from hospital to hospital. I felt so safe, They were so accommodating......If you are fortunate not to have someone in the hospital, they still drive you anyplace within the downtown area. They know your name, treat you with respect and they care what happens to you and your spouse. They have great rooms for wedding receptions, or any event you could imagine. I will never stay anyplace but the Sorrento, from now on, and we were born and raised in Seattle, just moved to the country 10 years ago.....however, I found myself saying to the people driving me back and forth from the hospital...."Take me home". That is how I felt. I hope you will too.

Close to shopping, by their car, museums, Seattle Center. Really, anything you want to do, within the downtown area, they are accommodating.

Room Tip: What you want, they have.....suites, double suites, or just for one.......just remember, it is a sma...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed here with my husband, two sons (12 and 14) and the family dog for Thanksgiving this year. The hotel is old world, with beautiful wood paneling, and even a bell girl in the elevator. The staff were all wonderful, despite being extremely busy on Thanksgiving. We stayed in a Sorrento Suite on the 2nd floor, and really enjoyed the room. The beds were comfortable, with a multitude of pillows, the sitting room was spacious and I really appreciated the french press for coffee instead of the standard drip coffee maker. Lizzie, our dog, loved the pet bed they provided, and chose to sleep in it rather than her own bed which we had taken with us. The only down side to the room was the small bathroom, which did have a tub, but not one large enough to relax in. On the upside though, the shower was very good.

We left our sons and the dog in the room watching Thanksgiving football, while we had pre dinner cocktails in the very traditional bar. The wood paneling and subtle lighting created a great atmosphere, and my gin martini was perfect. The boys joined us for Thanksgiving buffet dinner in the fireside room. It was great to have a wide selection of appetizers, salads, meats and desserts; even my picky 12 year old ate too much.

All in all it was a wonderful way to spend Thanksgiving, and my husband and I have plans to return for a romantic break early in the new year.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Ra'anana, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Entrance, lobby and salon are great, boutique like, well taken care and fancy. The room I got was viewing the entrance of the hotel, above a false terrace dirty and depressing. The wall to wall carpet in the room was smelly, I think was urine. The bath was nice, the room was with too many furniture for the small room this was, the bed too high, the linings were clean and beautiful white, also the corridor was old and smelly. I got this hotel from my workplace, so I took the blow for it was pretty close to where I needed to go. Yes, location is great as well.

Room Tip: ask for a room on a top floor, maybe there the views are better
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
North Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

only stayed one night. Had a "Sorrento Suite" which was absolutely charming. Comfy living room, great bed, totally clean and well maintained. Would have been perfect except for two issues. The noise from the hallway was a bit much and the two room suite only had heat in the living room area. We picked a cold night and it took quite a awhile to get the place to a comfortable temperature. The lobby and bar are fabulous. It made us feel like we had stepped back to the early 1900's in a luxury hotel. Staff members were absolutely great.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Sorrento Hotel? Share your experiences!