“Lovely Traditional Hotel - Location So-So” 4 of 5 stars

The Sorrento Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Madison St., Seattle, WA 98104 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #17 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
Newberg, OR
“Lovely Traditional Hotel - Location So-So”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

If you're looking for hipster central, this is not the place. The Sorrento is a comfy traditional hotel with beautiful public spaces and stately rooms. However, it also has some old-hotel problems. The heating in our room was a rickety old unit that sounds as if nuts and bolts were clanking around inside. As in most old hotels, the bathroom is tiny. Our room was showing signs of wear and needs a remodel. On the other hand, we were upgraded to a suite with a wonderful bed and linens. Good service. Great burger at the bar.

Know that this hotel is located near two large hospitals and the neighborhood does not have a pedestrian-friendly vibe. It's a long walk to restaurants and shops etc. This hotel is NOT in downtown Seattle. It's a nice old place but we are surprised that people would say it's "the best ever" etc. It's not.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
RandallObrecht, General Manager at The Sorrento Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that you did not care for our location, but hope our complimentry car service got you to your locations quickly? I sincerely appreciate your kind words regarding our staff and I have passed them on. I would love the opportunity to speak with you regarding other aspects of your stay, please let me know a good time to contact you?

Sorrento Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had one night only in Seattle and found this to be a great hotel. It was a little out of the way to all the main attractions in the city but it seems like that is the case with most hotels in the city. It was only a short walk so we didn't mind. The rooms were beautiful and we thoroughly enjoyed our one night and hope to be back some day!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your nice review! I am glad that we made an impression and you got to enjoy the city, even if it was for only day!

amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Being one of the oldest hotels in Seattle, the Sorrento is a very welcoming place. For some reason it's Italian style obviously means that the main material used in the entire hotel is dark wood. This gives it a kind of warm winter feeling when you enter the dark lobby with a fireplace. Like during skiing holidays.
Given the often dark and dreary Seattle weather this is not necessarily a problem.
The suite is excellent, it even offers a glimpse of the water surrounding Seattle. The bedroom is big with a lot of storage space, very good when you have a considerable amount of luggage as we had. Bathroom is all right, a separate shower would have been even better. Staff are friendly, competent and alert. The restaurant is nice, but there are better restaurants in town.
The location is perfect, you can start discovering the city right from your hotel.
Value for money is just fine.

Room Tip: Try to get an upgrade to one of the suites.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to submit such kind feedback. I am thrilled that you found our Hotel so inviting and cozy. I have shared your comments with our staff and they would like to extend a sincere thank you!

seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The service was wonderful. Upon check-in, you're given a wine bottle cork that you can redeem for a free glass of wine at their beautiful bar. You are welcome to redeem it at any time during your stay. My fiance lost his cork and the front desk staff happily gave him another. The rooms are lovely. We stayed in a corner suite on the third floor. I would have liked one higher up but there is not much difference in the view. The hotel staff encourages exploration of the old building including their event spaces on the top floor. Beautiful view from the rooftop patio. We enjoyed lunch in the lobby restaurant. Delicious. I do recommend this property for a lovely stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review! Chef Gilmore wants to send special thanks! Hope to see you again soon.

Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

one of the best hotels i ever stay worldwide..
and the hotel staff are the best...
thank you guys.
I believe the name of the lady on the front desk was Lisa and she was wonderful and make us feel like we have been there many times no matter that was our first time there..

Room Tip: get room on the 6floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
RandallObrecht, General Manager at The Sorrento Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for your kind words!
I have shared your comments with Lisa and the entire staff. We are lucky to have her.
Thank you again!

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Hotel was a wonderful discovery. Excellent service. Lovely accomodation. Beautiful flowers in lobby area. Quiet interior. So much more charm than a chain hotel. And I loved the warmth of the wood interior.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you! Thrilled that you found our uniqueness and charm, so enjoyable.

Weatherford, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

What more can I say?! What more do you want?
I requested a quiet room. They gave me #510. It was private & professional. Is it the most modern hotel in Seattle? No but that wasn't what I was seeking. This place exudes old world charm and enough sophistication. More than any else, I was wanting something close enough to Downtown while also being peaceful. I was upgraded to a Junior Suite for $20 extra dollars a night. Plenty of room for just lil ole me! I opened the window and could hear the rain falling. It was pleasant. Marble floors. 2 televisions. A couch. And the bed!!!! Oh my goodness! It was like sleeping on a cloud! Heavenly. Loved it. The word SLUMBER comes to mind. Seriously, I have no complaints.
I did read earlier reviews about how valet could get pricey so opted instead to park across the street at a pay lot for half the price. Seriously, I walked 20 paces from the parking lot to the lobby door!!! Save your money and get a little exercise! or blow $40 and gain weight? You decide.

I'd stay here again. I'd suggest this place, too.

Room Tip: Just call ahead and request something quiet and they are very attentive. Service was excellent.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for the wonderful review!
I am thrilled that you found our beds so great, it truly is a highlight for us.
Hope to see you again soon!

Sorrento Hotel

Been to The Sorrento Hotel? Share your experiences!