“Elegant, boutique hotel with character” 5 of 5 stars

The Sorrento Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Madison St., Seattle, WA 98104 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #19 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
Maryland
“Elegant, boutique hotel with character”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I first started coming to the Sorrento years ago and always make a point of staying there when I am in Seattle. it is an elegant boutique hotel with character, and the staff are superb and attentive. On my latest stay (making a stop overnight on a business trip from Canada), Cody, one of the concierges, recommended a perfect evening itinerary for dinner: since I wanted to take a boat ride, he suggested the Bainbridge Ferry and the Streamliner Diner in Winslow (excellent). Plus he even gave me a ride in the hotel car so I wouldn't miss the boat. The rooms are well appointed, and don't forget to check out the very distinctive lounge on the ground floor. A perfect hotel: stylish, friendly, and unpretentious.

Room Tip: If you want plenty of afternoon sunlight, choose the rooms facing the Sound side (west).
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
RandallObrecht, General Manager at The Sorrento Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you so much! I am so glad that Cody made your stay so enjoyable. We are lucky to have him on staff. I have shared your comments with him and the entire team and assure you that he will be properly acknowledged.
I hope you had the pancakes at the Streamliner!

Sorrento Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Orange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had a wonderful experience at the Sorrento Hotel in Seattle. One of the most important things at me at a hotel is the bed and the linens. I have very sensitive skin and I often have difficulty sleeping with scratchy bed sheets. The bed here was great, as good as at home, and the linens were wonderful. I slept as well there as at home. The hotel staff was exceptional. If we needed anything they were there in less than 5 minutes. We did not have a car and the hotel has a car that will take you and pick you up anywhere in a 2 mile radius at no charge. The only time we used a cab was coming back in the evenings. The hotel is close to everything. We are vegetarians so there was not a lot to eat at the hotel, but there were many options close by and the concierge always had great suggestions. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I recommend staying on the higher floors. We were on the 6th floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
You have made our day! Thank you for such a great review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed our bedding and complimentary services, like the courtesy car, but I am most proud that our staff made such an impression! I have shared your kind words with the entire team. Thank you.

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. We arrived at 9 am and were able to check in early - which was much appreciated after a long flight. The room, although a bit crowded, (had to squeeze between the side of the bed and desk to get to the bathroom), was beautifully appointed, the sheets were fantastic and the mattress very comfortable. They even have a french press in the room.

They offer a car service within 2 miles of the property which was very handy when it was rainy and windy. The chauffeurs were very knowledgeable and helpful. The concierge suggested a nearby Italian restaurant which was excellent.

The only negative comment I have was that there was a slight smell in the hallway - not sure if this is because of the pet policy. But fortunately, it didi not extend into our room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
RandallObrecht, General Manager at The Sorrento Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words. I am glad that our valets made an impression and were helpful.
Thank you for all of your comments and I will be investigating the hallway.
Hope to see you again soon.

Lake Forest, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My daughter was married in the hotel and we stayed there 4 nights as parents of the bride. (Not sure if we got special treatment from the staff due to that.) It's a beautiful turn of the century boutique hotel with lots of character and top notch accommodations, service, and staff. The suite we stayed in was roomy and the bed was very comfortable. Also, the food was outstanding. Location isn't optimum for sightseeing - it's a bit of a hike if you want to walk to the waterfront and quite a workout walking back. But there is a free hotel shuttle that can get you to and from most downtown attractions. There's no A/C in any room though and even at this time of year with the windows open we couldn't get a cross breeze going to cool the room down. Also, even on the 6th floor there was a fair amount of road noise at all hours.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay during such a special time! Thank you.

Lincoln City, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I have stayed in many of thefinest hotels in downtown Seattle over the years, but my favorite is the Sorrento. I've spent many nights there over the years. It never disappoints. Elegant property. Perfect service. Beautifully decorated and furnished rooms. The finest lobby bar I've ever seen. You can have high tea there also. We walked to downtown (all the way down to Pike Place Market) 3 times in our latest stay. It's quite a climb back up the hill and we're not young, but it's great exercise and there is a lot to see on the way. But if you prefer, the hotel will take you where you want to go if you ask. When you stay, go up to the 7th floor and look at the Top of the Town meeting room and the remarkable view from there. While up there, see if the Penthouse Suite is open (it usually is and you are welcome to wander around). If you were a rock star, that's the suite you would be staying in.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the great endorsement! I am glad you got to enjoy the walk to the Pike Place Market. Hope to see you again soon.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

At a rate of $149/night, this has got to be one of the best hotel bargains in Seattle. My coworker recommended it (I usually stay at The Maxwell, which I also love), and he was right: this place is a gem, with tons of atmosphere and history, super-welcoming staff, huge and luxurious rooms and bathrooms, a memorable bar (long, narrow, wood panels, jazz in the background), and really great food.

Lots of nice touches:
-when you arrive, they give you a cork from a wine bottle, and you can use it to redeem a glass of wine at the bar (how lovely is that?).
-in the room, there's fresh ground coffee and a French press (I've never seen that before, and it really, really is lovely to make proper coffee in the morning); they also have Mighty Leaf tea bags, which are tasty
-the bathroom has piles of fluffy white towels
-the bed and pillows were top notch; after a great meal and wine, I just kinda sunk into a deep sleep in this fab room
-strong, free wifi
-24 hr gym.

What else? I was in town for work at UW Med School, so the location was perfect.

I have lots of colleagues who come to Seattle for work, and I will be telling them to stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Wow! Would you like to work part time in our PR department?!
Thank you so much for the flattering review. I have shared your comments with our staff and they want to send a thank you. I am glad that our location was convenient for you and that you got to enjoy some of our unique programs, like the cork!
Thanks again.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there 3 nights recently and quite enjoyed it. My king sized suite was fantastic and after the first night I was less spooked by all the ghostly talk on line about this and a few other seattle hotels! This place is a 1909 gem. On top of a hill,quite a steep climb. Front desk service varied greatly from cool efficiency to warm and helpful. Door staff and concierge were ok,nothing outstanding. Sometimes I felt like they didn't see me. Not too good,servicewise. But my suite was comfy and the bed was great and marble bathroom a real treat. One block away is Thai Star restaurant a really tasty place with affordable and quick,friendly service. Go!

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for your candid feedback. i sincerely appreciate your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your ghost free stay!
I am sorry that our valets were not helpful. I am truly embarrassed and assure you that this issue has been addressed. Thank you again for bringing it to our attention.

Sorrento Hotel

Been to The Sorrento Hotel? Share your experiences!