“Beautiful” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
Denver, Colorado
“Beautiful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This hotel is a wonderful historic gem. While not technically in the heart of downtown it is in a great location. The hotel offers a car service in the area around the hotel so we had them drop off at the water and we walked to Pike Place, downtown shopping and then back to the hotel. Very safe and clean. What a wonderful treat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
RandallObrecht, General Manager at The Sorrento Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words. I am thrilled that you were able to take advantage of our car service and got to see the city! Hope to see you again soon!

Sorrento Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Tacoma, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I could only give the Sorrento one star and that was for the staff and entrance level floor (the fire side room and the Hunt club). After reading most all the reviews, and given that this place is completely bragged about and the website pictures looked great and it boasted excellence, I booked a night for my husband and I for our 5th wedding anniversary. For what I paid, I was utterly let down. The entrance and fire side room looked fantastic, the service was friendly, the room (Sorrento suit, to be exact)... shameful. Old world charm? Yes, if it were the 1950's it would probably be a treat. But when spending upward of $300 for one night (this review is all about how much they ask for what they are giving), with all of the amazing hotels in Seattle that have awesome amenities for the same price if not less, it was absolutely shameful. The elevator was kind of a hint for what was to come (though it seemed cool how old and small it was). When I opened the door to our suit the smell was the first thing that got me. Medicated bag balm and years of dust mixed with the obvious old building smell you half expect. It was nauseating. Then walking in, the decor was definitely vintage, but not in a good way (old paint old carpet dusty couch). The floor was severely slanted where the dresser with TV stood, at a definite angle and the bathroom was tiny. The bed was very low to the ground as well. These rooms are in desperate need of remodel. I have no idea why so many people gave it rave reviews. I am actually baffled by this. We bought some fragrant candles because I couldn't sleep there with the smell like that. Trust me, I am not a fussy and high maintenance lady, but when I drop some money on a nice room I expect to at least like it. Both my husband and I agreed that it would have just been better to stay at our own home, which is a small old 1905 craftsman full of thrift-ed furniture. Oh! And the walls are paper thin. If your neighbor plugs something into the wall next to you, you hear it. Walking on the floor above you sounds like stomping and since it's so close to the hospital we heard sirens all night long. So, if you don't go out to a lot of hotels and really want something special thats clean and fresh with a few amenities you may not have at your own home, DO NOT STAY HERE! Anyone reviewing this with a five star has obviously never stayed in a really nice hotel room before.
Wished I would have booked elsewhere!

Room Tip: If you are just in the area for business and get a good deal on a regular room then this might make...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RandallObrecht, General Manager at The Sorrento Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your honest feedback. I sincerely appreciate your comments, both good and bad. If I am unaware of an issue, I am unable to resolve it. So thank you again for taking the time to submit your review.
I am truly sorry and embarrassed that you did not enjoy your stay. As you mentioned in your review, we are accustom to positive reviews and normally very proud of our rankings. I am sorry that we failed you and I would love the opportunity to discuss our specific shortcomings with you directly. Please let me a convenient time to contact you would be? I look forward to speaking with you.

Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The Sorrento is old world styling with lots of class, character and great personnel, outstanding service. The food in their restaurant is excellent. It's a healthly walk to shopping, Pike Place, etc. envigorating.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the kind review! Hope to see you again soon!

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Having lived in Seattle for many years I would not consider staying in another hotel than the Sorrento. The serice is impeccable and the rooms are comfortable. The front desk goes out of its way to help as does the rest of the staff.

Room Tip: When you check in ask if there are rooms slightly above what you have asked for and see what you mi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
RandallObrecht, General Manager at The Sorrento Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind review. I have shared your comments with our staff and the Front Desk wants to give sincere thanks! Hope to see you again soon.

Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed at the Sorrento for about 8 days last year while my Seattle home was being renovated. I did not specifically choose the Sorrento, but it happened to be the "Hidden Name" hotel that I was booked into by an online travel site. I While I prefer a spacious, minimalist, business friendly, hi -rise type type of hotel, the Sorrento is much more British boutique-y, and I felt that the small room was over full of charming furniture. As the "desk" was a secretary style with no "desk chair" there was nowhere to set up a laptop/workstation. Also, the hotel is in an awkward location that requires a hilly hike to get downtown and is miles from Madison Park. True to the description, it is VERY near area Hospitals. Windows are old-style: open to a screen, so you WILL hear sirens all night long. Be forewarned. The bathroom also tiny, with a tub that was more of a sunken triangle below a showerhead than an actual bath--also disappointing. Hunt Club, the only restaurant on site--has limited choices, limited hours and is quite $$. Despite all, the Sorrento is a nice, 3-4 star hotel. Beware: when you arrive at the circular drive in front, there is nowhere to self-park. A friendly valet offered to park for me, which came as a relief , given that I hadn't seen any open spaces. Only when I checked out did I learn that the hotel charged me $37.00 for each time I needed my vehicle retrieved, and it was being parked at an off-site lot down the hill from the hotel. So, you'll either find the place uniquely adorable, or overpriced, irritating and poorly situated. I wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: East facing rooms seem to get the most siren/traffic noise. However, if street noise is a concern, y...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
RandallObrecht, General Manager at The Sorrento Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your honest feedback. I am sincerely sorry that you did not care for the style and location of our Hotel. I would love to speak with you directly and discuss our shortcomings. Please let me know a good time to contact you, would be.

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Winter stays are cozy and comfortable. Boutique hotel at its best. High Tea in the afternoon. Restaurant is really great with well thought out menus for all seasons. Perfect place for the professional business woman in my opinion. Classic 100 year old hotel with modern feel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Solvang, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is the third or fourth time I've stayed here, and I always love it. The staff is "over the top" friendly and accomodating. A couple of free glasses of wine certainly was welcome too! We've had the same Jr Suite each time we've stayed here, so I was stunned when I read the negative review on the Jr Suites. Ours has a sofa, a love seat, a desk and a lovely king size bed. There is a huge square table in the suite area, nice for dining. The bathroom is generous, all marble, with a nice dressing area.
If I ever had a complaint....3 years ago I was looking for a Bible and there was none. When I called the front desk, they said there wasn't one in the hotel!! I didn't think there was a hotel that didn't furnish a Bible! But, and here's the caveat. When we came the next time...we received the exact same room and...voila...a Bible in the bedside stand. These people listen! I love when you return that they always try to put you in the same room. It makes it feel like home.
I always look forward to to staying here....have not been disappointed!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RandallObrecht, General Manager at The Sorrento Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments. I sincerely appreciate the praise, made our day!

Sorrento Hotel

Been to The Sorrento Hotel? Share your experiences!