“Old World Elegance with Friendly Staff” 5 of 5 stars

The Sorrento Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Madison St., Seattle, WA 98104 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #16 of 95 hotels in Seattle
California
“Old World Elegance with Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Sorrento because I had an appointment with a specialist at the nearby Virginia Mason Hospital. The hotel is elegant without being fussy or pretentious. Guests are treated like treasured friends by all - front desk staff, concierge, room service go above and beyond to provide impeccable service. The first night we stayed in a 5th floor corner suite with a lovely view over downtown to the bay. There is some street noise in these rooms. Luxurious bedding and lots of pillows. I especially liked the bathroom with its white marble and separate areas for shower/toilet and sink. French press coffee in the room with real cream and specialty tea are unexpected pleasures.

We unexpectedly had to stay over a second night because of the need for another medical procedure and called the hotel at 4:30 p.m. to see if we could book another night. To our relief a room was available and when we checked in again, this time I asked for a room away from the street because we live on 10 acres and are used to silence at night. We received a complimentary upgrade to a more expensive room in order to be away from the street noise. While there was no view, the quiet fit our needs better for this night. I really appreciated the care and concern that the front desk staff demonstrated.

The public areas are warm and cozy with traditional Christmas decorations. The fireside room is beautiful, we relaxed there for a couple of hours after check out before leaving for the airport, and I could have stayed longer. We enjoyed dinner in the Hunt Club one evening.

We have stayed at the lodging connected to the hospital, at a B&B, and at a modern hotel in downtown. Hands down this is my favorite place to stay and wouldn't think of booking anywhere else after my experience at the Sorrento.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have spectacular views, but you do get some street noise. I loved Suite 310, it is ver...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
RandallObrecht, General Manager at The Sorrento Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Thank you for your kind words! I hope you are recovering comfortably. I sincerely appreciate your comments regarding our staff. I am glad that they were able to make you feel comfortable and welcome! We hope to see you again, under better circumstances.
Happy Holidays!

General manager

538 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
southlake, tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

What a find. This hotel takes you back in time from the moment you step into the lobby. As others have said, it is very cozy with lots of wood paneling. The small lobby leads to a lounge area with fireplace. The restaurant is off the lounge area and offers great options with locally-sourced ingredients. The guest rooms have all the modern conveniences expected by a business traveler yet still maintain the historic charm. The beds are very comfortable. The bathrooms are on the smaller size. The hotel is conveniently located a few blocks from the main downtown area. The personal service adds to the experience. There is also a gym and business center in the basement. If you want a great place to stay that is definitely not cookie-cutter, then this place is for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing downtown.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you! I am thrilled that you enjoyed the charms of our unique property! I have shared your comments with our staff. Thanks again.

Kirkland, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed at the Sorrento in Seattle for our 5th wedding anniversary and wow what an amazing two nights. Talk about rolling out the red carpet, I could not have felt anymore pampered by a hotel. Such a beatiful accomodation. Wish we could have stayed a week! Can't wait to stay at the Sorrento again.

Room Tip: We enjoyed a King deluxe suite
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much! I am so glad that we were able to play apart in your special event. Will see you again soon!

Sorrento hotel
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel was so cozy and festive I could have stayed there all week without going outside.
We were lucky to get a huge corner suite and I wish I could have taken the comfortable mattress and bedding home. We arrived on a chilly Black Friday after a long flight from Dubai and the Fireside Room offered a lovely cozy place to relax with a snack, a few drinks and live music.
The a la carte breakfasts in the Hunt Club were also delicious and varied. I tried some of the 7am - 9am Happy Hour breakfast specials as well as the Swiss Chard with two poached eggs and parmesan cheese on Rosemary bread. Once the jet lag subsided we did venture outside of the hotel and had magical days in the wilderness of the Olympic National Park and Mount Rainier National Park. We also had some lively evenings in Belltown, Downtown and Capitol Hill. The Sorrento provided a great base for exploring the North West and all the staff were so friendly and helpful. All of this and they have free wifi too. Would definitely recommend staying here. Only tip, If you have a car, park over the road for $20 rather than pay the $39 a day hotel fee.

Room Tip: No 300 is a huge corner suite with views down to the waterfront
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
RandallObrecht, General Manager at The Sorrento Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you so much for the kind review! I am so glad you enjoyed your visit to the NW and to our Hotel. I have passed on your comments to our staff! Thank you!

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

A family member's stay at a nearby hospital sent us looking for a nearby hotel. The Sorrento was down the street so I ventured in to check it out. The lobby, sitting room and bar which are right off the entrance all looked warm, cozy and inviting on a cold winter's night. The desk clerk right away asked if she could help. I told her about a relative's stay in the hospital and our need for a room. She indicated there was a special hospital rate which I later discovered was a tremendous saving.

I rented a room which was very nice. We ate dinner at the hotel and the food was exceptional - one of the best chicken sandwiches I have ever eaten. The staff was very helpful in meeting our needs which were many due the emergencies of the day.

We ended up staying a second day and enjoyed every moment of our time at the Sorrento.

PS This review sounds like an advertisement.....which it is not. This was my first and only time staying at the hotel. But I will return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
RandallObrecht, General Manager at The Sorrento Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you so much for the kind review. I am so glad we were able to make you feel at ease, during a difficult time. I hope your loved one is recovering comfortably. Eager to see you again under better circumstances.

Issaquah, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is the best Seattle hotel experience. The rooms and beds are so comfortable, in fact I purchased their pillow for home. This boutique hotel caters to your every whim and offers amenities and services you won't soon forget. The hotel is walking distance to everything the city has to offer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words! So glad you enjoyed our bedding, I forget how spoiled we are! Sleep tight.

Edmonds, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We decided to do something different for Thanksgiving: go to a hotel for a good dinner and change of scene. The Sorrrento Hotel has been perched on First Hill in Seattle since 1909 and retains much of its original charm, especially in the comfortable Fireside Room - the place for tea, drinks, music and snacks. The heavy beamed ceiling, wood-paneled walls and comfortable furniture are warmed by a fireplace decorated with Rockwood Pottery tile work. Near the elevators menus from past times are posted for guests' amusement. Thanksgiving in 1921 ($2.00) featured turtlesoup, oysters, sweetbread patties, roast suckling pig, turkey with chestnut dressing, plum pudding, fruitcake and cheese.

Our dinner was excellent and generous but "only" three courses - more than we could eat.

We were welcomed at reception with two corks to be turned in for glasses of house red or white in the Fireside Room or in our room. We decided to upgrade to a suite on the top floor. It was large and well furnished with quality bedding and towels, a two-room bathroom - one with a large jetted tub and twin shower heads. The walls were decorated with original artwork and the wi-fi was free. The french-press coffee maker made wonderful coffee in the morning.

The room service menu was unusual: it included a dog menu for those who brought Fido along: Wild salmon and chard, scrambled eggs and sweet potato, or ground beef and peas all served with Bowser "beer" and other treats. Briefly considered ordering some as it sounded delicious even tho' we don't have a dog.

The hotel is not in the shopping district or on the waterfront but a van service is available at no charge. They do have a fitness center although we didn't use it. Valet parking is a convenience.

Room Tip: No rooms are alike, even the suites, so if you're fussy it might be good to talk to reception wh...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Wow! Thank you so, so much for such a flattering review. You have reminded me of why I chose the hospitality industry as a career. I am so glad that we were able to make a Holiday memory.
I have passed your comments on to Chef Gilmore regarding our pet friendly menu and you made his day!

Sorrento Hotel

Been to The Sorrento Hotel? Share your experiences!