“Wonderful Birthday in Historic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

The Sorrento Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Madison St., Seattle, WA 98104 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #18 of 95 hotels in Seattle
Northern California
“Wonderful Birthday in Historic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

A friend took me to the Sorrento's Fireside Room for drinks on one of my visits to Seattle, so I knew I wanted to stay there when I visited again. This time, I met my sister from Montana (I'm from California) for a three-day weekend for her January birthday. We both loved the vintage feel, character, and elegance of the 100-year-old hotel. The Fireside Room, where we had wine each evening, paneled in original mahogany and filled with comfy furniture is warm and inviting. Our birthday dinner in the hotel's Hunt Club restaurant was excellent, and the waiter remembered to put a candle in my sister's dessert as I had requested earlier. Our room with two queens was fresh and lovely, the beds, loaded with pillows, wonderfully comfortable. The staff was friendly and efficient, especially the maintenance man, who fixed our TV channel problem immediately, and concierge Kody Kidd, who quickly answered all my pre-visit questions. If you like a smaller, historic hotel, a warm, friendly atmosphere, and elegant accommodations, you'll like the Sorrento. I'll go back for sure on my next trip to Seattle.

Room Tip: Ask the concierge waht you want and need.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
SamJohnsonSr, General Manager at The Sorrento Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
We appreicate you taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us. We cannot wait for you to return! My best, Sam Johnson

543 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

The Sorrento Hotel exceeded my expectation in every way. From the moment I checked in I knew this was going to be a lovely visit. It is so nice to stay at this hotel. The concierge/driver staff ensured I reached my destination in time for my meeting. The bell staff was excellent. The front desk staff was friendly. Additionally, I loved that the hotel staff emailed me a head of time to ask for any preferences and more importantly, they honored my requests. The room was lovely.

I also appreciated that the hotel manager followed up with me to ensure my stay exceeded my expectations.

Room Tip: I stayed in room on the 6th floor because I did not want to hear the street noise.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for sharing your comments in a review about your recent stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us! My best, Sam Johnson
Lake Oswego, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Both my wife and I can remember that as children in the Seattle area, we thought the Sorrentol was magical, and never dreamed of actually staying there. The attractive rate offered by the hotel made that possible. It's like a fine European luxury hotel. Last weekend was our second stay, and we're looking forward to coming again and again. The clerks and the valets were both friendly and helpful. We happened to be there for the big and thankfully rare Seattle snowstorm, and the valets gave us a safe and comfortable route back to the freeway. Great dinner and breakfast, and the most comfortable bed ever.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for spending the snow storm with us, what a crazy couple of days in Seattle that was. We appreciate you taking the time to write the review and please come and visit us again when it is not snowing!! My best, Sam Johnson
Vancouver, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I recently stated at the Sorrento Hotel in downtown Seattle and found it to be a wonderful European style hotel. The front desk and bell staff were superb. They helped me with my transportation needs to a dinner meeting and extended my checkout time so that I could leave my belongings in the room until after the funeral Mass I was attending at the Cathedral. The restaurant served a wonderful breakfast and the server was friendly and met all my expectations. I can highly recommend this hotel to any traveler looking for a great European style hotel that is neat, clean and has excellent service.

Ed Little, President/Principal
Seton Catholic College Preparatory

Room Tip: Great location for any business meetings in downtown Seattle
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Mr. Little, thanks for taking the time to write the review about your recent stay with us. We appreicate you sharing your experience with others who may be considering a stay with us. Thanks again, Sam Johnson
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Lovely hotel with old charm. Staff charming and very helpful. The few times I tried to use the complimentary town car was unsuccessful. The shower temp is temperamental - hot showers in morning and cold showers at night even when max temp is chosen - lucky it was not winter. Whilst lovely I probably will choose to stay elsewhere next time as It is uphill from downtown and it's too quirky for my liking. Also housekeeping does not clean well - there is a toilet stain that was left for few days. It looks like they only made my bed each day and not much else.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am sorry that our housekeeping department did not deliver the correct type of service for your room, and I have spoken with our management about your comments. While you may choose to stay closer to downtown on your next stay, I am hopeful that we may have a chance to serve you again in the future. Thanks again, Sam Johnson
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012 via mobile

The Sorrento feels a bit different to the hotels I've stayed in recently; more characterful. Whether that's because the room keys are actually shaped like keys, rather than swipe cards, or because the carpet in the lift changes every day to inform you what day of the week it is, or that the whole place is decorated like it's still the 19th century, I'm not sure, but it's a change.

This can be both good and bad. Because the electrical supply to the room isn't controlled by putting a card in a slot, you have to go and turn lights on and off individually, and when I arrived the room was quite chilly because the heater wasn't on. But then why waste power unnecessarily heating a room when it's unoccupied? The lights aren't as bright as I'm accustommed to, but then you get free wifi, which is always a decent thing to have.

Bathroom and shower are very good; bed also, although I was awed that there were so many pillows on it. There's an embarrassment of televisions: a huge flatscreen in the living room and another in the bedroom.

Staff were all very friendly: the concierge was very helpful finding me a barber and you generally felt very at home. The area around the hotel felt a little bit scruffy to me, but as it's winter the streets are devoid of anyone, so there's nobody to encounter that might make you feel threatened. I suppose Seattle in January may not be the best time to walk around outside in the hope of encountering people.

Facilities are good - there's a decent restaurant (Hunts) and the gym in the basement is spacious and has some good equipment. All in all, a most pleasant stay for the weekend.

• Stayed January 2012
Thank you so very much for your detailed review about your stay with us. I am glad that you had a chance to experience so many of the things that make us different from other hotels in Seattle. I am hopeful that we will have a chance to have you as a guest in the future. Best, Sam Johnson
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

This is an excellent older hotel with great architecture, comfy beds and friendly staff. My wife and I stayed here the other day and were very impressed. The staff (particularly John) were extremely professional and courteous. We stayed in a junior suite which was nice and spacious for two people. We also dined in the Hunt Club downstairs, which featured a fantastic selection of wines. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
SamJohnsonSr, General Manager at The Sorrento Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Happy New Year! Thank you very much for posting a review about your stay with us during the holidays. We hope that you will make it an annual tradition like many others who visit us during this special time of the year. All the best, Sam Johnson - General Manager

Been to The Sorrento Hotel? Share your experiences!