“Great Historic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Great Historic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

This classic hotel was great for our recent three-day visit. There is live jazz in the lobby/lounge area on weekends. Our suite was very large with a sitting room that could be closed off from the bedroom. The furniture was traditional and the room had lots of lamps and other nice touches like a bar area. The bathroom had a combined tub and shower with very good water pressure. Beds are comfy and have white linens. The hotel's car that shuttles to the downtown area was generally unavailable for us, which was the only downside of this hotel. It is on a steep hill, so walking to downtown attractions is difficult. Staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
SamJohnsonSr, General Manager at The Sorrento Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
We appreciate your review and I am glad that you enjoyed our live jazz performances we have every Friday and Saturday night in the Fireside room. It is a little bit of a hill to climb from the core of downtown, but that is one of the reason we offer a complmentary car service if needed. We hope to see you again when you are ready to escape the heat of Arizona! Sam Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
St. Albert, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

The service was great right from the moment we pulled up in the car with the valet service to the front desk. Our room was not ready so Trevor at the front desk gave us ideas for things to do in downtown Seattle. He circled places on a map they provide for you. We were upgraded to a nicer room on the top floor where we had our own balcony on the roof.The room was big with about 4 windows to let lots of light in. There were no black out blinds just sheer curtains so the light came in the room early in the morning. That was the only down side. As mentioned before by other people we liked how the carpet was changed in the elevator every day to reflect the day of the week. We also ate at the restaurant which was very good service and food. Although we were there at 7:00 pm and they were already out of prime rib.We would definetly stay there again on our next visit to Seattle.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review, and for mentioning Trevor. He is a great part of our service team and was touched by you specifically mentioning him in your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and am sorry that we ran out of prime rib on the evening you dined with us. Please let me know when you are returning and we will be sure to have enough prepared so that you can enjoy our signature offering that we have been providing to our guests for almost 100 years! My best, Sam Johnson
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

This Hotel is classy without being stuffy. The rooms had all necessary amenities for a very comfortable stay, free wi-fi is a great help for getting work done & exploring the city, & the beds were unbelievably comfortable. I got 2 amazing nights of sleep and even wanted to take the bed home with me, but my suitcase was way too small :)
The staff were all friendly & helpful even though we arrived at 1am, and very welcoming to our dog. We loved that you could open the windows for some fresh August air.
This is a true piece of Seattle history, my mother ate prime rib at the restaurant here on her 21st birthday, 37 years ago, the best in town she said. We are so glad it is still here & seems well kept. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Room 208, a corner suite, was very spacious & comfortable, no view though.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your time with us, and that you had a chance to enjoy our prime rib in the Hunt Club restaurant. What a great story that your mother had the same meal here over 37 years ago, thank you for letting us know! We look forward to seeing you sooner than that next time! Please pass along my belated birthday wishes to your Mom. My best, Sam Johnson
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at the Sorrento Hotel a number of times and have enjoyed excellent service on each visit. The rooms are comfortable and elegantly decorated, with careful attention to detail. My husband grew up in Seattle and he always chooses to stay at the Sorrento when he's on his own. On our last visit, we had the option to upgrade to a suite, which was beautifully appointed with flat-screen TVs in both the bedroom and the sitting room -- a great benefit when not everyone wants to watch football! The hotel's circular driveway makes it easy to come and go by car, with efficient valet parking services. If you are looking for gracious accommodations, you won't be disappointed by your stay at the Sorrento.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
SamJohnsonSr, General Manager at The Sorrento Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your comments and insights about your recent stay with us. We truly appreciate you noticing the little things that we feel make us different from the big brand hotels. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future! Best, Sam Johnson
Brookline, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Stayed at both ends of an Alaskan cruise. Service, rooms, and staff were great. The staff at the front desk and concierge desk could not have been more pleasant or helpful! They recommended restaurants, made the reservations, and transported us there. Not only that they provided complimentary appetizers as well. They even made sure we had a town car to take us to the airport at the same price as a taxi.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Mr. Kilduff, thank you again for sharing your comments about your experience at the Sorrento. It was our pleasure to host you both before, and after, your families Alaskan cruise. If your travels bring you back to Seattle, we will look forward to seeing you again. My best, Sam Johnson
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed at this hotel to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. My husband bought the "shake & stir" package. this did proof to be a splendid package! Room, breakfast, martini's for two and valet parking! the room had the most comfortable bed with the most gorgeous soft luxurious sheets. They have a town car to transport you around the city, that is if you don't feel like walking as the downtown area is only about a 15 minute walk. Service and room were all above and beyond expectations.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
SamJohnsonSr, General Manager at The Sorrento Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Thank you so much for your great review of the hotel based on your recent stay with us.
We truly appreicate you taking the time to share your insights about your experience.
We look forward to having you with us again in the future. Best, Sam Johnson
Midlands, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

The good:

Clean, very comfortable bed, attracts nice people (no weirdos)

The not so good:

Very small roms (especially for the price), literally could not stand straight on to the basin for a shave. Location is a bit outside the centre up some very steep hills (NB if you are walking). Expensive restaurant (but of course you don't need to eat there.

I stayed at this hotel for six days and got a relatively good rate via one of the aggregator websites. I don't know if I got a particularly small room because I wasn't paying full rate - cannot tell because I didn't see the inside of any other standard rooms.

Generally I was very pleased and this review would have been a 4 or 5 star one. But hotels like The Sorrento like to tell us that it is the little details that differentiate them. Sadly my whole view of the hotel turned around within the space of a few minutes. I had made a specific point of enquiring about using the complimentary shuttle car the day before I needed it to take me to the train station. I was told explicitly that I needn't worry and I couldn't book it ahead of time, I should call back a few minutes before needing it and there wouldn't be a problem.

So the next day I called up half an hour before required to try and book the shuttle only to be told that it wouldn't be available for a few hours as the car along with many others was need for a very high value client activity. So my £850 is for my stay wasn't important enough for one short journey.

Up to that point The Sorrento would have featured on my list on a return to Seattle but I'm afraid that one "small" incident knocks them off my list.

There are undoubtedly many fans of The Sorrento - I'm not now one of them.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Mr. Rutlag, I would like to thank you taking the time to post a review about your recent experience and to also personally apologize for our handling of the towncar service when you requested a ride to the train station. There is honestly no guest that is any more important than another, and my team failed to deliver on our service standard during your departure. I have already spoken with both the management team and the valet & bell staff about their interaction with you, and it is certainly a learning lesson for all of those involved. Thank you again for staying with us, and I am hopeful that we will have a chance to serve you again in the future. I would ask that you please contact me directly, and I will be happy to personally make your arrangements. Best regards, Sam Johnson

Been to The Sorrento Hotel? Share your experiences!