“Not a family place” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Edgewater Hotel Seattle

You added The Edgewater Hotel Seattle to your Saves list
The Edgewater Hotel Seattle
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2411 Alaskan Way, Pier 67, Seattle, WA 98121 (Belltown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
20% Off & FREE WiFi
Ranked #24 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
montana
“Not a family place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2008

Our family wanted to spend a couple of days in Seattle. We have four children ages 4 to 9. They had never seen the ocean and we wanted to stay on the water. We all stayed together in one room like we always do. This room was almost 3 times the price of any of the other 5 hotels we stayed in on this vacation, and it was by far, the tiniest. The many hidden costs were annoying at the least.
The fireplace looked nice but we couldn't control the temperature in the room.
My husband and I slipped down to the bar one night for a drink after the kids went to sleep. The female bartender was very pleasant and helpful. She and one bellman were the only two people in the place that would give us the time of day though unless our wallets were out.
I definitely did not feel this hotel was worth the money.

• Liked — being on the water
  • Disliked — not family friendly at all
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (892)
Coconut Creek, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

Great hotel, with a nice relaxed atmosphere.
After a long cold day in the city it was so nice to sit by the big fireplace, order a drink, and watch the boats go by.
Rooms aren't huge, but very cozy.

• Liked — Lounge area
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
badmaru
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

I have to admit, when I found out which hotel accepted my bid, I was a little hesitant after reading many of the reviews posted by other travelers. The noise level was probably my biggest concern. When I arrived at the hotel, it was almost exactly like the website pictures.

The entrance area had a nice big fireplace and the doormen were very friendly. The lobby area had a nice, beautiful view of Puget Sound. There were 2 fireplaces in the lobby area with board games near the seats by the window. There’s definitely a lodge theme at the hotel as there are antlers all around you. If you have children, this is probably not a good hotel to bring your children, unless they are older and know to avoid sharp objects.

The receptionist greeted me promptly and even upgraded me to a water view room with a balcony when I asked her if I could have a quiet room. I’m guessing because they had a convention staying with them, the more expensive rooms were the only ones left by the time I arrived for check-in. Needless to say, I was super happy about having the free upgrade.

I read about the stinky, dim hallways and I was pleasantly surprised. The hallways didn’t look any different to me than any other hotel I’ve stayed at. The one leading to my room was relatively well-lit and did not smell like mold.

My room looked like the pictures they provided on the website. It had a cute little, but expensive, teddy bear sitting on the bed. The fireplace was a nice touch and there was a bear ottoman near the fireplace with 2 comfy chairs. The balcony had 2 plastic lounge chairs with a small table. The bathroom was very nice. It had 2 shower heads; one was the rain one, another which was a regular one. The décor matched the rest of the theme and was neat. I took a close-up picture of the bath products in case anyone wanted to know the brand name of their products. Their bar soap was slightly drying, but their shower gel made up for that. The shampoo and conditioner were great; the conditioner definitely kept my hair nice and moisturized. The body lotion had a nice smell without being overpowering and also moisturized without being oily/greasy.

Having the balcony was super nice. It was a little cold to stay outside, but I put on my coat just so I could enjoy being on the waterfront. I suppose when the cruise ships start arriving in April, the view and noise level would go up a little, but when I was there, it wasn’t a problem.

For the rest of the amenities in the room, there were a little refrigerator with drinks inside and a little bar above it for the liquors. There’s also a 4 cup coffee maker with Starbucks coffee. There are nice plush bathrobes if you like those. They also provide a good iron and ironing board as well.

The hotel apparently also had bikes you could use, but I didn’t get a chance to see what they were like. The shuttle service was excellent. It left promptly at the top of the hour, but you have to make sure you arrive about 10 minutes before it leaves, as it is a popular service and the other hotel guests definitely utilize it. It runs from 8 or 9 AM until about 10 PM. I couldn’t use it in the morning since I needed to be at my conference before the service began. It’s about a $6-10 cab ride to the shopping area in downtown. If you want to walk, it would probably take about 15 to 20 minutes with a few uphill climbs. I usually walked back from my conference in the afternoon and the walk back was pretty nice if you walk along the waterfront area. Word to the wise, some of the cabbies will take you around an extra block or two to run up the meter, so be weary.

If you know you need a cab, call ahead to the bell desk about 10 minutes before. The hotel isn’t in the main downtown area, so it takes them a little bit to get to the hotel. Calling 10 minutes prior saves a little time. The bell men were super friendly and point out good restaurants for you to try. Chris was super friendly and made sure the cabbies were heading to the hotels for a prompt pick up.

The in-room food tasted pretty good. The tuna tartar had a good zest and the grilled scallops weren’t overcooked. The wasabi mashed potatoes had just enough of a kick without you needing water to cool down your mouth.

The business center was on the smaller side, but you could use the internet for free inside. There was a printer without additional charge as well. If you prefer to have internet in your room, it was $10/day.

The gym, again, is a little on the small side. There were 2 treadmills, 2 elliptical machines, and 1 bike. There is a flat screen TV, so you could catch up on the news while you work out. They have some free weights and a pulley system. I think it’s fine if you just want some cardio while you’re there.

Checking out of the hotel wasn’t too difficult, but I think they forgot to print out a folio for me. Perhaps it was because I booked through Priceline and didn’t have any additional charges, so they didn’t need to give me one. You could check out online if you like.

• Liked — The view and staff.
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

We enjoyed our stay at the Edgewater. It was clean and nice. We had minimal interaction with the staff, but they were all pleasant when we did speak with them. Parking seemed a little expensive to valet (I think it was about $20 a day) but there was a garage across the street on Wall Street for about half that, and another time we found a place on the street to park. The rooms were kind of cozy, but that wasn't a problem for us (it was just my husband and me). We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2008
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

Booked on Priceline, very last minute, in fact the night before! Offered $100/night and it was accepted. I did upgrade by calling the hotel direct in the morning for an additional $20/night for a larger King room on the 3rd floor - City View. It's true the train goes by quite a bit, but it's expected as the hotel is built right on a pier, so it's an industrial, but very clean area. I would say it's more tourist than industrial though. Great location, only 15 min walk to Pike Place Market, Downtown shopping, Space Center, etc.
Room was clean and "lodge" like, which we found to be very charming. There was a nice balcony which we sat out at, even as cold as it was and drank our coffee (Starbucks) which was provided in the room, as well as Tazo teas. The bathroom was big and new with granite countertop and big glass encased shower with a "rain" shower head. In the corner of the room was a fireplace which would turn on when the room got below 68 degrees as well as two comfy armchairs and a "hairy" ottoman. There was also a desk with additional reading lamp. The bathroom ammenities were very nice, from their brand spa (Noble House), but there was no spa at the hotel.

The Bad - uncomfortable bed - like a rock, compared to other hotels with their heavenly beds....We ordered room service once in the morning and it came late and cold. We ate one meal at the restaurant - breakfast, and it was ok. The walls are thin, so we kept our voices down and the tv volume to a minimum and luckily our neighbors did as well. Unfortunately one night for a couple of hours, there were some guests that decided to have a party on our floor in the hallway. Security responded quickly, but had to come up several times. Parking is another issue, although convenient, $28 + tax per night - OUCH!

The Good - nice room, nice view, great location, great service. Go to Anthony's at Pier 66 for a wonderful dinner and check out their diner downstairs for casual dining. Both have an outdoor patio.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Mount Vernon, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

Having lived in Washington my entire life I was well aware of the Edgewater hotel and it's reputation. Having never had the opportunity to stay there I was very excited to have the chance to do so for my birthday. Upon arrival of the Edgewater the exterior landscaping and outdoor fireplace are very nice. The interior is literally covered in tree branches and tree trunks. Decor is very Pacific Northwest.

I was there using a certificate that I had won at a school auction. I paid an extra $50 for a full water view, even though at the auction the certificate was toted as being the Beatles Room. Not the case!

At check-in the receptionist asked if we would like a room with a balcony or a room with a tub. We chose the room with the tub since the weather wasn't condusive to sitting on a balcony. The receptionist said "we want to make sure you have the best room we have".

Our room was on the 2nd floor near the elevator, which I typically ask not to be by. The room itself had a spectacular view, there is no beating it! You are literally over the water. The decor was once again Pacific Northwest/Native American, not to my taste but o.k.

First thing we noticed as we watched seals play and a bald eagle soar, was the floor vibrated and there was a constant hum from some type of machinery below us. We later found out that we were right above the Lounge.

My biggest complaint was "the best room" was above the Lounge, and we were not told there was live music, which was very audible from our room. When I called the front desk they said the music would continue until midnight. We were given the option to move to another room, but that would have been incredibly inconvenient as we were all ready for bed. They did offer to credit back our upgrade fee, and provide us with earplugs. Which took a half an hour to receive.

Beds were fairly comfortable. The flat screen tv was not in HD, in fact some of the channels were down right snowy. The bathroom was very nice, and loved the shower. As for the tub, it was never used as it's only a one person tub ;-)

I have stayed in equally nice hotels, with great views for half the price. I didn't find the Edgewater all that spectacular, and I would never stay there again unless I could have a full water view. And at the going rate, I don't think it's worth it.

• Liked — The water views were spectacular
  • Disliked — The price, and the music in the Lounge
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2008

I booked this on Priceline for a $100 bid. When I found out where the bid was accepted I was nervous to say the least. Seeing the Edgewater from afar many years ago I thought it looked like a real dive. I called ahead to at least request a water view room which came at the price of $75 extra. We went with out of town guests and so I thought I'd try to salvage the situation by at least being on the water. When we arrived I was shocked. It is a beautiful hotel now. It was remodeled about 2 years ago and it is fantastic. The rooms are wonderful, the view spectacular, the service was terrific and the smell in the halls - per other reviewers comments - not an issue at all.

We ate breakfast in the dining room. It was my hubby's bday. The waitress was wonderful and even brought out a little bday cream puff with happy birthday spelled out on the plate in chocolate syrup. Our friends, from Miami, said that would NEVER happen where they live. They were awed by the friendliness of everyone.

We walked everywhere, the location is very convenient to all downtown sites. I would highly recommend this location, especially on the waterfront side of the hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — sometimes the seagulls outside our window were loud - no big deal though!
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Edgewater Hotel Seattle? Share your experiences!