“Bad reviews scared me- surprised it was better than expected!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Edgewater Hotel Seattle

Save Saved
You added The Edgewater Hotel Seattle to your Saves list
The Edgewater Hotel Seattle
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2411 Alaskan Way, Pier 67, Seattle, WA 98121 (Belltown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
20% Off & FREE WiFi
Ranked #26 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Bad reviews scared me- surprised it was better than expected!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Bottom line, if the water and mountain views and eclectic lodge experience are more important to you than a perfect sleeping experience, it is absolutely worth the quirks of the hotel. I went in to see a waterfront room at the Inn at the Market and it overlooks a busy highway- and then there is the water with a lot of indistrial cranes in the background. I would rather stay at The Edgewater which is you and the water- like being on a cruise ship- with nothing industrial in sight if..... IMPORTANT: you ask to face WEST or you may have a waterfront room with a view of the cruise ship terminal.

I was scared to book this hotel based on bad reviews but was forced to stay there due to an error on my part with a reservation at Inn at the Market. I am glad I made that error because this was one of the more memorable experiences I have had at a hotel after travelling to over 30 countries. I will tell you fact from fiction based on reviews I have read on this site starting with things that worried me most before I arrived:

FACT: The walls are thin and you will hear your neighbors.
This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Since I knew it going in, I guess I just got over it. The view was worth it!

FACT: The fireplace has a timer that beeps when it is about to turn off- which can disturb you if you care to fall asleep.
This is indeed very ignorant. Like another reviewer said, I don't need to know when it is turning off. (FYI- you can press and hold the timer button until the number of hours increase beyond 1 hour and to the number of hours you desire)

FACT: You will hear the train even from the waterfront rooms.
Yes you will. It was in no way overpowering or unsettling. If you like the sound of trains it is relaxing.

FACT: The decor is eclectic and a mix of almost everything.
This is true but it did feel like a Northwest lodge that was simply eclectic. It is what makes the hotel unique. No, it doesn't look like a midtown Manhattan designer boutique hotel. Yes, this designer looks he/she selected things randomly. That gave it charm to me and unexpected visual stimulation.

FACT: You will hear the seagulls in the waterfront room.
I heard them but again, they were not obnoxious. Hopefully you are booking the waterview because you like nature. If they were outrageously loud, I would tell you- but they are not.

FACT: The Heater/Airconditioning unit is disturbingly loud.
Correct! Wow. It was so loud that it felt like it vibrated the bed. It was so loud, we couldn't even hold a conversation or hear TV with it on. It sounded like a jet engine. Forget it, we had to turn it off and use the fireplace for heat instead which actually got the room too hot. Once the room warmed up, we turned off the fireplace too- and the room stayed toasty all night. No need for either.

FACT: It is not worth it to stay here unless you have the Waterview room.
This is true. I would not stay here otherwise.

FACT: The hotel is some distance from the heart of the action in Seattle.
True. The free shuttle worked very reliably and promptly. Use it. Cabs are difficult to get in Seattle, one time I called a taxi and ELEVEN people were ahead of me. Having the shuttle is actually big plus!

The following were found to be contrary to what I read on TripAdvisor:

The hallways are NOT dark and creepy with damp, smelly, carpet.
They were actually bright and nicely decorated. HOWEVER, I was on the third floor. I went to the first floor to see if the smell was related to being on ground level, and I could smell a slight damp, musty odor. It wasn't too terrible and other people may not even notice. Let's just say, third floor was better.

The furniture in the room ISN'T exceptionally old and dated.
The room felt like a lodge. If you are looking for the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons, this isn't it. If you want cozy lodge- this is your place! The fireplace and large wood bed posts and such really felt warm.

The bed is NOT horrible. Everyone's opinion will be different about bed comfort but it was by no means terrible.

Room Tip: Ask for a WEST facing full waterview room on top floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Troy B, Manager at The Edgewater Hotel Seattle, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear culture,

I couldn't have written a better review. As you mentioned in your comments, everyone has opinions and differing perceptions. I was happy to read that you debunked some of the negative reviews. We strive to be unique and different. We are very proud of our location and being the only hotel in Seattle on the water. Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to your return visit.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (784)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Me and my wife went for our anniversary loved the fireplace nice view but of course it was raining promo was was a little hard to understand but a nice asian gentlemen help with the parking and fees, but then i was charged aftrer leaving another fee which icaaled back to ask why i wasnt charged this in the end when i was standing in the lobby when i called back i got a rude lady named (JOLINE) since this was our first time at the location not to happy with some service and i have stayed at the four seasons excellent service

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear locke1670,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am absolutely surprised to hear that one of our team members was rude. This employee regularly gets glowing comments so I was shocked to read your comment. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your visit.

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I needed a weekend away, but didn't have much time. I took the Clipper from Victoria and stayed at the Edgewater in September 2012. It was so easy - it is a 5 minute walk from the ferry, and perfect place to stay if you want to shop/dine in Seattle and don't have a car. Yes, it is about 15 minutes to the main part of downtown, but I love to walk, and it is a nice walk. It is also right on the ocean, the restaurant feels like it is hanging right over the water. The restaurant is also a great place with great food that is completely comfortable if you are a solo diner. The rooms were very small but for just me it wasn't an issue. The gym was good, the decor very nice - no complaints, and would do it again. Warning though, I wouldn't do it with kids - rooms too small and too far from main attractions for small kids to walk. Otherwise, great!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear JohninCanada,

What a wonderful review! Your visit exemplifies the majority of our customers. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your return visit to Seattle. Please feel free to contact me directly to arrange your accommodations.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I got a relatively good price for the city-view room I stayed in, but after I paid $35 for parking for one night and then $10 for internet for 24 hours, I realized how they make their money here. Their bar food and drink were also ridiculously expensive.

The rooms were nice (although they have old school, non-high def tv's with only a handful of channels). The walls were paper thin. The train in front of the hotel is loud, but it was the sounds in the hallway and upstairs that kept me up at night. I could hear my upstairs neighbor using the bathroom.

Room Tip: I would stay on the top floor to avoid noise from above.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear explore30,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We have a great Happy Hour at the bar where the prices are a great deal. We are in the process of upgrading our TV's for HD. I am sorry to read that your stay was less than desirable.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My friends and I stayed here last weekend celebrating a 70th birthday milestone. First impressions are good because of the location right on the waterfront and unique Northwest Woods style of the lobby. Here are the reasons why I wouldn't recommend or go back: Parking and space is limited as this is on one of the piers at the waterfront. Valet parking is $36 plus tax. An absurd amount with few options given as alternative. Our City View side family room was spacious but lacking some of the amenities one expects for the room rate paid. For instance, only one set of ear plugs (needed because of the trains that run just across the street), only one bathrobe provided and a coffee maker that was near impossible to use with only non-dairy creamer offered. These seem like trivialities (even to me) but when considering the extremely expensive room rate I expect exceptional service combined with an abundance of 'like home' amenities! Because of the coffee maker fiasco we headed to the lobby where we hoped there would be complimentary coffee for patrons (this is Seattle - coffee capital after all) but there was nothing. The worst part of our experience was the 'college dorm' like atmosphere on our floor that evening. We returned to our room at midnight and there were several teenagers and people walking/running/chatting/partying in the hallway. Some guy was delivering pizza to the room across from ours which was apparently hosting a party. Since we were not going to get any sleep anytime soon we headed to the lobby bar. At 12:30 the bartenders were calling 'last call' despite a completely full bar of patrons. Basically for the price of a room (even the city-side ones) I was not impressed at all. Next time my friends and I will splurge on a room somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you absolutely have to stay here, definitely splurge and get the water view!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Troy B, Manager at The Edgewater Hotel Seattle, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear CassidyBoBo,

Your comments allow us to focus on the areas you pointed out we could improve upon. We certainly appreciate these comments and thank you for taking the time to post this review. Please feel free to contact me directly so we my discuss your comments.

Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Came down for the football game..... Our room (3rd floor city view) was very large ; loved having a fireplace to come back to after wandering in the rain. No noise issues to report - everything worked well. Wonderful beer selection in the bar (microbrews as opposed to commercial sludge) I wish Seattle had more waterfront access - but a good time was had by all

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Troy B, Manager at The Edgewater Hotel Seattle, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Doug M,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit here at the Edgewater Hotel. We look forward to your next visit.

Prague, Czech Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We booked in unaware that rooms on the city side enjoy the frequent freight trains, some very long passing 24/7 in conjunction with a controlled intersection and the cacophony emitted by the bells. The hotel did provide ear plugs (one set), not sure if we had to share or take turns. The bed albeit advertised as a queen, was no larger than a comparable Australian double bed and after the first night with no sleep, we managed to get upgraded. In addition to what was already an expensive hotel, they wanted an extra USD$40 per night plus tax. Then unfortunately we had a hire car which cost USD $36 per night plus tax

Room Tip: Rooms on ocean side are much quieter and there is a car park across the road.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JimB22

We appreciate your comments and sorry to learn that the trains bothered you. They are very much part of the wonderful experience of Seattle's waterfront and very important part at that.

Director of Operations

Been to The Edgewater Hotel Seattle? Share your experiences!