“Pleasant but a bit noisy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Edgewater Hotel Seattle

You added The Edgewater Hotel Seattle to your Saves list
The Edgewater Hotel Seattle
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2411 Alaskan Way, Pier 67, Seattle, WA 98121 (Belltown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
20% Off & FREE WiFi
Ranked #26 of 97 Hotels in Seattle
Vancouver
“Pleasant but a bit noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

Booked on Priceline, very last minute, in fact the night before! Offered $100/night and it was accepted. I did upgrade by calling the hotel direct in the morning for an additional $20/night for a larger King room on the 3rd floor - City View. It's true the train goes by quite a bit, but it's expected as the hotel is built right on a pier, so it's an industrial, but very clean area. I would say it's more tourist than industrial though. Great location, only 15 min walk to Pike Place Market, Downtown shopping, Space Center, etc.
Room was clean and "lodge" like, which we found to be very charming. There was a nice balcony which we sat out at, even as cold as it was and drank our coffee (Starbucks) which was provided in the room, as well as Tazo teas. The bathroom was big and new with granite countertop and big glass encased shower with a "rain" shower head. In the corner of the room was a fireplace which would turn on when the room got below 68 degrees as well as two comfy armchairs and a "hairy" ottoman. There was also a desk with additional reading lamp. The bathroom ammenities were very nice, from their brand spa (Noble House), but there was no spa at the hotel.

The Bad - uncomfortable bed - like a rock, compared to other hotels with their heavenly beds....We ordered room service once in the morning and it came late and cold. We ate one meal at the restaurant - breakfast, and it was ok. The walls are thin, so we kept our voices down and the tv volume to a minimum and luckily our neighbors did as well. Unfortunately one night for a couple of hours, there were some guests that decided to have a party on our floor in the hallway. Security responded quickly, but had to come up several times. Parking is another issue, although convenient, $28 + tax per night - OUCH!

The Good - nice room, nice view, great location, great service. Go to Anthony's at Pier 66 for a wonderful dinner and check out their diner downstairs for casual dining. Both have an outdoor patio.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,027)
Mount Vernon, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

Having lived in Washington my entire life I was well aware of the Edgewater hotel and it's reputation. Having never had the opportunity to stay there I was very excited to have the chance to do so for my birthday. Upon arrival of the Edgewater the exterior landscaping and outdoor fireplace are very nice. The interior is literally covered in tree branches and tree trunks. Decor is very Pacific Northwest.

I was there using a certificate that I had won at a school auction. I paid an extra $50 for a full water view, even though at the auction the certificate was toted as being the Beatles Room. Not the case!

At check-in the receptionist asked if we would like a room with a balcony or a room with a tub. We chose the room with the tub since the weather wasn't condusive to sitting on a balcony. The receptionist said "we want to make sure you have the best room we have".

Our room was on the 2nd floor near the elevator, which I typically ask not to be by. The room itself had a spectacular view, there is no beating it! You are literally over the water. The decor was once again Pacific Northwest/Native American, not to my taste but o.k.

First thing we noticed as we watched seals play and a bald eagle soar, was the floor vibrated and there was a constant hum from some type of machinery below us. We later found out that we were right above the Lounge.

My biggest complaint was "the best room" was above the Lounge, and we were not told there was live music, which was very audible from our room. When I called the front desk they said the music would continue until midnight. We were given the option to move to another room, but that would have been incredibly inconvenient as we were all ready for bed. They did offer to credit back our upgrade fee, and provide us with earplugs. Which took a half an hour to receive.

Beds were fairly comfortable. The flat screen tv was not in HD, in fact some of the channels were down right snowy. The bathroom was very nice, and loved the shower. As for the tub, it was never used as it's only a one person tub ;-)

I have stayed in equally nice hotels, with great views for half the price. I didn't find the Edgewater all that spectacular, and I would never stay there again unless I could have a full water view. And at the going rate, I don't think it's worth it.

• Liked — The water views were spectacular
  • Disliked — The price, and the music in the Lounge
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2008

I booked this on Priceline for a $100 bid. When I found out where the bid was accepted I was nervous to say the least. Seeing the Edgewater from afar many years ago I thought it looked like a real dive. I called ahead to at least request a water view room which came at the price of $75 extra. We went with out of town guests and so I thought I'd try to salvage the situation by at least being on the water. When we arrived I was shocked. It is a beautiful hotel now. It was remodeled about 2 years ago and it is fantastic. The rooms are wonderful, the view spectacular, the service was terrific and the smell in the halls - per other reviewers comments - not an issue at all.

We ate breakfast in the dining room. It was my hubby's bday. The waitress was wonderful and even brought out a little bday cream puff with happy birthday spelled out on the plate in chocolate syrup. Our friends, from Miami, said that would NEVER happen where they live. They were awed by the friendliness of everyone.

We walked everywhere, the location is very convenient to all downtown sites. I would highly recommend this location, especially on the waterfront side of the hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — sometimes the seagulls outside our window were loud - no big deal though!
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

Why the Edgewater? They accepted my $95/night bid at Priceline for Labor Day weekend.
Great location on north end of the Seattle waterfront. Within walking distance to most of the downtown waterfront, Pike Place Market, etc.
Hotel is situated on a pier between the cruise ship terminal and the passenger ferry to Victoria BC. Half the rooms view the water, the other half view city. Rooms are decorated with rustic cabin furnishings and are very cozy with a fireplace. Bathroom is very modern and seemed an odd fit in a log cabin themed room. Our room had a large patio with a couple chairs.
Finished a couple bottles of wine one evening in the lobby area. It is very spacious with ample sofa and chair seating. Floor to ceiling windows display a great view of busy Elliott Bay. Returned to this same spot the next morning after making a run out for Starbucks and breakfast bagels.
Unless you have time and patience, park at the hotel. We spent a good 30 min looking block after block for nearby parking before deciding to turn the car keys over to the hotel. It is valet only with unlimited in and out access. From someone who does not valet, it was well worth it.
Though very pleased at the value, we would not pay $300/night for the Edgewater. Though it is an icon on the waterfront, its age is not well disguised. A water view room is a must. Maybe our room is reflective of the rate, but we expected to be wowed.

• Liked — Location and value (Priceline rate)
  • Disliked — Expected more from this highly rated hotel
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

GREAT location: close to excellent restaurants (newly remodeled Elliot's was fantatstic) and beautiful walking/jogging waterfront park next door.
GREAT service: bellman offered to shuttle us to restaurants, car always arrived fast, front desk moved rooms quickly when one was a bit noisy (from fog horn/train), bellman got me a cup of hot tea in the morning at no charge when I was waiting for my jogging partner, etc. - everyone helpful and wanting to please.
THE ROOM - FANTASTIC: all-new bathroom with slate floors and shower, big claw foot tub, shoji screens so you can sit in the bath and look out over the water; flip-on fireplace with furry footrest, comfy chairs; good size desk with adequate plugs, wifi ($7/hr or $10/day); all amenities in room - full iron/board, coffee maker, hairdryer, lighted makeup mirror; high quality towels, bedding, shampoo, etc.;
THE BAR/RESTAURANTS: gorgeous, on the water, great meeting place for business or pleasure.
THE PRICE - WOW: just $149/night on Hotwire.
THE SMELL? - I was on the lookout for a moldy smell from other Tripadvisor reviews, but there was none.
ONLY COMPLAINTS - exercise room was small, only 3 or 4 cardio machines. But it is accessible 24 hours.

• Liked — Furry footrest in front of fireplace in the room.
  • Disliked — Exercise room a bit small.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

I stayed at the Edgewater for the weekend on a business trip. I got the room for $99/night on Priceline. For $99 in Seattle...it is hard to say anything bad about the place.

The valet parking is $31.89/night with in and out privileges. The guys were pretty quick. There is a nice fireplace and Starbucks cart while you are waiting.

The rooms and bathrooms are very roomy. The best thing about the hotels are the showers (note: no bathtubs.) The rain showers are terrific. The bath products are huge, brightly colored and smell great. I would certainly rate them in my top 10 of "hotel bath amenities." There is lots of counter space in the bathroom. It also includes one of the good magnifying mirrors. There is also a large closet in the bathroom with nice hangers.

The beds are firms and the linens are fine. There is a cute sitting area with two comfy chairs and a fireplace. The balcony is small, but cute.

The front of the hotel does face a highway and a train track. The train is quite loud. If you are a light sleeper...I recommend bringing earplugs. During the weekend i was there, it was $90/night more for a room facing the water.

The mini bar is well stocked with drinks. They also have some treats from the local area that were tasty. The cable was basic, but OK. The wireless worked fine and was $9.95/day.

The bar and restaurant in the hotel are actually quite nice. The bar is comfortable and just crowded enough...without being a nightmare. There was a Southern Rock sounding group there the first night. It seems as if this is a hot spot for weddings, and other big events. The second night the bar was pretty crowded with wedding people...but they were all nice. Note that if you are staying there on a weekend and there is a big event...valet gets really full and obviously allow for more time in getting your car.

Oddly, for such a clean looking hotel with clean rooms...the hallways stink. It seems that the third floor is where there room service kitchen or employee break area is. There are also some meeting rooms. Whatever it is...it smells funky. I asked for a quiet room and I believe it was room 349 they put me in. The door opened to face the elevators. On a weekend with a wedding and a rowdy bar...this didn't seem quiet. I asked for another room away from an elevator. I think it was room 321 that they moved me to. I quickly put my luggage in the room and had to run out to a dinner meeting. I didn't walk down the hall beyond my room. I came back late that night to find my room was LITERALLY sharing a connecting wall to another elevator. It was really loud. At midnight I was finally moved to room 315 and it was quiet. The hallways at the hotel are really long and there are different elevators. Make sure you do not get one anywhere near the elevators. Not sure if this was because I booked on Priceline???

The location of the hotel is great if you are leaving on a cruise. You are right near the cruise ship terminal. It is also a great location if you are taking one of the Ferries. Other that that...it is long walk up a big hill to get to any nearby restaurants. It is about a 10 minute walk along the water to some of the pier-touristy restaurants. It is about a 6-7 minute drive to Pike's Market. You would not want to stay at this hotel if you don't have a car or don't like driving and looking for parking. I did find that there were a lot of parking lots in downtown.

• Liked — The showers and bath products!
  • Disliked — The location at the bottom of the hill.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2007

We stayed here right before Christmas to attend a Seahawks game. We thought we would be out of the downtown fray, which was true but there were some issues.

The good:
Restaurant 6-7 is fantastic for dinner with great service. The atmosphere is very modern and chic and the view is beautiful.
Most hotel staff were friendly and helpful. A fairly long walk to Qwest field. Rooms were clean but fairly small.

The bad:
Cityside rooms are 100 yards from the train (which goes by approx. 3 times per hour) you can actually feel the vibrations.
The cityside rooms are also above the entryway and valet parking which make things pretty loud. Definitely need a waterview room unless you are a very sound sleeper. The ventilation in the room sounds like tennis shoes in a dryer. The beds were slab-like. Cleaning service entered our room even though we had a do not disturb sign out.

The surreal:
Breakfast a 6-7 at 6 am with blaring trance rave music, (literally no staff), a great continental buffet with no serving utensils. Then the music morphs into 50’s holiday music and ramps up to house bar music. Hmmmm.

• Liked — restaurant 6-7
  • Disliked — noisy trains
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Edgewater Hotel Seattle? Share your experiences!