“Great location, inconsistent service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #38 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
Bay Area, CA
“Great location, inconsistent service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2008

I booked this Sheraton hotel in downtown Seattle via Hotwire for two nights. Arrived at the hotel at around 11:30am and asked for early check-in. The front desk staff was nice. Upon seeing my SPG Gold membership card, she checked me in, even though technically Hotwire bookings do not qualify for SPG Gold benefits.

The room and amenities are what you would normally expect from a 4-star Sheraton. The best thing about this hotel is its location. It's just a few blocks walk to the Pike Place market, the water front. Monorail station is just 2 blocks away. Plenty of shopping and restaurant nearby.

I usually leave a decent tip everyday with a "Thank you" note in the room for the maid when I stay in a hotel. This is on one hand customary, on the other hand I hope if I accidentally leave something behind, the maid cleaning the room will be nice enough to turn it in. The first day, the maid took the tip and left me a "thank you" note. The second day, I left the tip and checked out at around noon.

That evening, I discovered that I had forgotten my laptop power adapter in the Sheraton hotel room. I called the hotel immediately. The guest service rep took my room number, dates of stay, name and phone number, and said that they would call me if "someone turns it in". There was no indication that they are trying to look for it. I expect at least they should 1) if the room has not been rented out, send someone to check; or 2) if the room was rented out, send a message to the new guest.

One week passed and no phone call. I called again because I was about to pass through Seattle. The guest service simply said that "we have your inquiry on file. If it turns up, we will call you." Again no indication of any willingness to help.

I know that leaving something behind is my mistake, but I am still disappointed that the hotel guest service is not as helpful as a 4-star hotel should be.

• Stayed April 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Indonesian first
Flagstaff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

Just returned from the Sheraton in Seattle. I am a travel agent (Journeys Around the World) so try out many hotels each year. I was in Seattle for a conference & it is right next door to the Convention Center, which was very convenient. The hotel is very very nice...beautiful lobby, spacious rooms, nice lobby bar (and very popular) & good restaurant (although pricey). Stayed in the "new" tower & the rooms were very nice with new flat screen tv. And with it being Seattle, there was Starbucks coffee in the room (with real creamer, rather than the powdered stuff!). The location of the hotel is great...Nordstroms is just a block away and Pike Street Market just a short stroll! The hotel was perfect for business or pleasure.

Stayed April 2008
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

I want to assure you I did not priceline this hotel, i wanted to be sure I stayed at the Sheraton and so I didn't risk it and paid the full price. Not cheap, anyway my gripe is this, the view was blah, and the room was blah, and the shower was a joke. Not 4 star quality, the linens and the bed comfort wise was great. The lobby was that of a 4star hotel, as was the valet parking price, the restaurant's breakfast was not. My biggest gripe was not the mishmash furniture in the room or even the 15 year old tv. My biggest let down was the shower, the tap had to practically be on the furthest hot setting for it to be even bearably warm and the water did not drain properly so I had to sit in 6 inches of water (cold water) while taking a shower. I did not complain to management as I was only there one night and only used the shower the morning I was leaving so there was nothing to be done at that point.

• Liked — location was convenient to shopping
  • Disliked — shower and bad room decor
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
OC, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

My husband and I went to Seattle to see a Dave Matthews show, and stayed in the Sheraton (Main Tower/ King) for one night. The Hotel is in an EXCELLENT location. There is no need to rent a car. Get a round trip ticket on The Gray Line bus from the airport and you'll be able to walk or use public transportation for the rest of your trip. We were able to check in early, 11:00 am. I had read other reviews saying to stay in the newer tower, however, I found the old tower very nice and updated. My only regret is that we only stayed one night!

• Liked — upscale feeling room
  • Disliked — N?A
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

As many other reviewers suggested you can get this place for $100 a night on priceline. They easily accomadated my request for a King room in the new tower. It was a beautiful hotel in the perfect location. We walked everywhere and took the ferry to Bainbridge and the bus to the locks in Ballard. Nobody should be renting a car to stay here. Take the bus downtown from the airport, $1.50 a person and it takes 1/2 hour. Parking is expensive in every downtown hotel, get used to it and use public transport.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2008

I am a VERY frequent stayer at the Sheraton Seattle, and, as travel season approaches, I just want to make sure I get my 2 cents in.

First off, there is only valet parking on-site. It's 35 dollars a day with in and out privileges until 6pm the following day. If you choose to self park your car, the garage at 7th and Pike (behind the Cheesecake Factory) is 28 dollars/day with in/out privileges as well. Make sure to see the valet booth outside to get your pass to hang on your mirror to give you these privileges. If you don't want in/out, convention center parking is probably the way to go.

If you can, catch the Greyline Downtown Airporter (roughly 10/11 dollars each way) to/from the airport (about 45 minutes). Metro city bus is 1.75 to 2.25 and takes 30minutes.

Check in is at 3, but, if you arrive early, the front desk will try to get you in. Because it is the largest hotel in the Northwest (I think), there are plenty of business men and convention-goers and it gets pretty noisy/hectic in the lobby, so I probably wouldn't recommend it for a romantic getaway... Once cruise season starts, be prepared to have to wait for your room until "normal" check-in time at 3pm, and sometimes after.

Of course, if you prepay on Priceline/Expedia/Hotwire/Orbitz, you are not guaranteed a room type. It gets difficult to try to switch room types in the Spring/Summer because the hotel is consistently full! Connecting rooms are very hard to get, too, so try and call ahead and as often as possible until they give you them. When they are sold out, they might try to offer you a "parlor". This is basically just a living room with no beds! So they will put a twin sized bed in there (its still comfortable) and will drop your rate to 99 dollars! It's great if it's just you, or you and your friends.

There are two towers: Union (the "new one") and Pike (the "original one"). The only way to be guaranteed a room in Union is to book a "Deluxe" room. Otherwise, they can put you in either tower, and the rooms are completely different. Pike is 35 stories and has the pool/fitness center in it, as well as the Club Lounge. Union is 26 stories and has the business center in it. The views are better from Pike because half the rooms in Union stare straight back at Pike. If you can book a corner room (they cost a little more... like 20 bucks?) take it. They are awesome rooms.

Bliss products in the room, Starbucks coffee, too. They are pet friendly and offer doggy beds to be brought to your room for free! The fitness center/pool area needs work, though. Free wi-fi in the lobby, 10 dollars to connect internet in your room. DO NOT USE THE PHONE! Local calls AND toll free are charged!! They just added a coffee shop, and gift shop, which are much needed additions to their lounge and their restaurant (Daily Grill).

Check-out is at 12noon, and free late checkout is at 1pm. If you are Starwood Gold or Platinum, you get 4pm free late check-out! ALSO! Gold members don't get free upgrades to the Concierge Floor.. but "SPG floors" which have free bottled water. You can store your luggage at the bell desk, and leave your car in the valet and take a quick stroll to Pike Place or go shopping! I am there too often, can you tell?

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fort Worth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

Overall, I had a good stay. I did not purchase anything at the hotel restaurants so I can't say anything about the food there. I was disappointed that the gift shop did not have milk, and I wasn't about to pay what they wanted in the restaurant for a glass of milk. I didn't try the swimming pool and workout area. The main reason is that they were in a separate tower. It seemed a little inconvenient to take the elevator down, walk across the lobby to the other tower and then take the elevator up to wherever that was located. I was also disappointed in the internet service. I tried to connect from my room, but the connection was slow and did not work for very long. I eventually went downstairs to the lobby to use the free internet which worked much better. The hotel was very good about refunding the price of the internet service that I had paid for, but if they are going to make you pay they should at least offer dependable service. Another thing that I didn't like is that they did not give me all of the credit for my stay with the Starwood points program. I only got credit for $2 worth of expenses for a 4 night stay, so I had to send proof of my expenses to get credit for the rest of the expenses. Otherwise, I was satisfied with the room. It was a good size, and everything was in working order. But I definitely wouldn't call this an "Excellent" stay.

Stayed January 2008

Been to Sheraton Seattle Hotel? Share your experiences!