“Good location, some negatives” 4 of 5 stars

Mayflower Park
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   405 Olive Way, Seattle, WA 98101   |
Ranked #17 of 98 Hotels in Seattle
Naples, Florida
“Good location, some negatives”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The Mayflower Park: the pros are great location near shopping, waterfront & city sights; Oliver's, the martini bar off the lobby, well known in the city; Andaluca, an acclaimed Seattle restaurant, also off the lobby; next door to the Westlake stop for the light train from the airport. The cons are extremely slow elevators; tiny bathrooms w/ no space for toiletries; thin walls between rooms. On balance, a pleasant place to stay with friendly & accommodating staff, but would most likely choose another place to try next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

It was my 1st stay here, although family members were returnees. The location on 4th, 1 block from Westlake Center, including the light rail, shopping (Nordstrom, Rack, etc.) and lots of restaurants is ideal. The rate is very reasonable.
Other than having what might possibly be the world's slowest elevators, I think this is a terrific property. Our room had 2 queen beds and 2 bathrooms! The baths were small but very nice and it was such a luxury to have 2 baths since our adult daughter was traveling with us. Our 7th floor room was tastefully decorated, although I'm still puzzled why there were hot pink sticky notes in a few places around the room (on a picture, etc.).
My husband and I have different last names and he wasn't with me at check-in, which caused a brief delay. Our daughter, with his last name, was with me and I had a copy of the confirmation email so they let us in. Next time I'll be sure both names are on the reservation. I do appreciate being security conscious but that could have caused a great inconvenience.
I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Jenks, OK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Yes, everything we read about this hotel is true. Rooms are small but well kept and clean. We got a good deal for a downtown hotel using an online site. I would not pay the normal full price though. You almost have to valet if you have a car and they charge $35 per day to do so. That is just too much to park a car. The staff is great and very helpful. We were surprised to be invited to a FREE wine tasting one day and that was fun. The best thing about this place is that you can walk to all the sites in downtown Seattle that you would want to see. Will I stay there again? Probably not unless I could get a great deal.

Room Tip: Ask for higher than the 5th floor to get a way from street noise.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Fitness room was not fully functional but overall very nice hotel. Stayed there because of location in the city could walk anywhere. They also offered the stay and cruise package which worked out great

Room Tip: Great location in the city
FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Mayflower Park for one night in early August during our 17 day, 9 city vacation. Having just arrived in Seattle on the Victoria Clipper, we took a taxi the short trip to the hotel and arrived at 3:05PM. Upon trying to check in, we were informed that our room was not ready. When I asked how long it would be before it was ready, I was told that "guaranteed" check in time was 4:00PM. Since it that was less than an hour away we chose to sit in the lobby and wait. At 3:50PM we were told our room was now available and the rest of check in went without problem. However, in an establishment of this supposed caliber I find it hard to believe they do not have any rooms available more than 10 minutes early. This is an historic hotel that has been renovated and the rooms are well furnished, but rather small. The bathroom was especially small with a pedestal sink (no vanity) and only a small glass shelf to hold our toiletries. I have to say, the location of the hotel cannot be beat. We only had to walk about half a block to the entrance to Westlake station to take the train to the airport or the monorail to Seattle Center. After returning home and receiving our credit card bill, in addlition to the expected $260+ charge for the room, we had a 2nd charge from the Mayflower for the same date for $3.00. While it is a small amount, we had no receipt for an amount like that so I called the hotel to find out what it was. I was informed it was for a bottle of water and they can't charge for it until housekeeping cleans the room and finds it has been used. I was really taken aback by this because there, indeed had been 2 bottles of water in the room (not a name brand, either) and I do remember opening one of them. However, since there was no sign indicating a charge, I assumed they were complimentary as was the case in several of the other hotels we stayed at during this trip. Had I known there was a charge I would never have opened it as I could have had a soft drink from the vending machine for less. The only other hotel we stayed at that charged for the bottled water in the room had a very plain sign stating the price of the water. Since there was no such signage in our room at the Mayflower I feel deceived. I told the hotel's billing agent all this to which she simply replied well it was not complimentary. And to bill $3.00 for a bottle of water that probably cost them less than 50 cents is unconscionable . Add this to our less than stellar check-in experience and I don't know that I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
David B, Front Office Manager at Mayflower Park, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
iclog,

If you arrive at the hotel prior to check-in time, we are always happy to store luggage for you while you grab breakfast in Andaluca, a cocktail in Oliver's, or see the sights in Seattle. The front desk can call you should the room become available before 4pm, no waiting needed.

Due to feedback like yours, the signage for the water has now been changed making the price more visible. I can understand that if you're not looking carefully, the old sign in front of the water bottle could be overlooked. The new price tag will now be on the neck of the bottle.

Thank you for your feedback, it helps us improve.

Regards,
David
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Comfortable, clean, and great location for many of the attractions. Close to shopping , main city attractions, and restaurants. Elevators are slow is my only complaint. Breakfast was not included in my stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is a good, solid, old fashioned American hotel with a great bar, excellent bar tender, good, clean and comfortable. The service was faultless. I do wonder why American hotels choose that awful big dark wood, faux furniture it's so dreary, ugly and outdated but I guess apart from its ugliness its harmless! Some rooms are noisy from the traffic but I asked to be moved and that was cool.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business