“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

State-of-the-Art meets historic Architecture equals rooms that each have their own story to tell. We had a bedroom without own bathroom, so we saved some money, which we didn't regret at all. There's a sink in the room and the shared bathrooms are big, clean and plenty. What we really liked was the breakfast, even soy milk is offered. The hotel lies in Belltown - so many great restaurants, bars and shops are nearby. Also the Space Needle, Monorail, Waterfront, Pike Place Market and Downtown with plenty of shopping-options are in walking distance. We loved our stay but if coming back we would probably ask for a different room facing the backyard. Since we stayed right in the corner room on the intersection of 1st Avenue and Wall Street it got a bit loud in the mornings.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing either one street or the backyard if you're sleeping lightly or plan to sle...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Ace Hotel for 2 nights during the week. The price was extremely reasonable given the location and hip/eclectic nature of the hotel. We got a discount by mentioning we are AAA members. We had one of the rooms with a king bed and private bathroom facing 1st Avenue. Other reviewers complain about the noise and, while it is a bit noisy, it is a typical city hotel room. My husband proclaimed it "one of the coolest hotels" he has ever visited. It is cool - rotatating walls in your room, a kitchen where you help yourself to stumptown coffee and breakfast, minimalistic decor...A lot of the rooms don't have their own bathrooms. We didn't stay in one of those but I did check the shared bathrooms out. They had about 5 on our floor (that I saw), and they were almost as nice as the one in our room-just smaller. You can go in, lock the door, and have the shower/toilet/etc to yourself. They appeared clean and not like what I was expecting (i.e. dorm style facilities). The location is perfect for walking to Pike Place market and all the Belltown restaurants and bars. A very unique hotel experience that I recommend.

• Stayed July 2013
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

On our first visit to Washington state we stayed at the Ace Hotel at the beginning and end of our trip. The Ace seemed like our own little home in Seattle. We stayed in rooms with the private bathroom, but we peek at the shared bathrooms and they looked fine. They are individual bathrooms with toilet, sink, and shower so plenty of privacy and they were clean. Would consider this option for an even better rate. The price we paid was very fair considering the location in Belltown, just a short walk to the public market and the space needle. It's about a mile from the transit hub, Westlake Station so as long as you're not carrying heavy suitcases, it's an easy walk. I loved that the breakfast was included and went until noon. Two kinds of granola, OJ, coffee, teas, and waffles that you make yourself. All good. The rooms were unique. At the end of our trip we stayed in room 130, which has its own little courtyard! The staff was friendly and accommodating. Lots of good travel tips and advice, and they locked up my suitcase after I checked out. Also, they have washer-dryers for guests to use. Four dollars each for wash and dry.

Towson, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I find it very hard to give a 1-5 dot rating, because what is a 5 for me, might be a 1 for you, so I'll make some points and decide whether this is for you. We stayed here one night before cruise. Great location and can walk everywhere.

Unless you are a very hip 50+ year old, the Ace may not be for you. For example, if you don't like Fred Armison or don't know who he is, this may not be the place for you. (F.A. frequents the place). When we were there, the guy at the front desk didn't know how to be hip and a service employee. It's almost an upscale hostel. The lobby doesn't have upholstered chairs, but a long table, notepads, pencils, and a great Apple desktop to us (great for printing boarding tickets).

We stayed in one of two rooms with private baths. Very, very white and bright and an interesting use of space. We had a little sitting room with a skylight off our room, which we didn't us because it was little warm. At first I couldn't find the bathroom but realized it was behind the large, white wall. It turned on a pivot in the middle, and the BR was large and well-equipped. In keeping with the cool theme, the soap at the sink was a small/black marbled cube with a short string attached (soap on a string instead of soap on a rope?). At first I thought it was a forgotten adapter!

Breakfast was in the basement which was clean and shared space with the laundry. Think IKEA or other Scandinavian kitchen design. Limited contintental breakfast choices, but it was fine for us. You can, however, make your own waffles. Good coffee.

If you prefer, major chains or places like Motel 8, this isn't for you. It was perfect for us.

Room Tip: Even more reasonable if you choose a shared bath. There is one across from each room, so as long as...
united states
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I loved the area in relationship to the tourism and the neighborhood was hopping with a cast of lovely characters, but then again it's Seattle, nuff said. The hotel was clean, the room was a good space and I enjoyed the decor. So what took a star off? If you need functioning and consistent Internet access is is NOT the hotel for you. When I inquired about it with the front desk, I received an ambivalent "there is nothing we can do" posture from the front desk which in this day and age is baffling. But then again I did choose the "artsy" hotel, so an ambivalent attitude is probably their version of customer service. Oh, they did suggest I try to jump onto the barber shop's WIFI below us. It never worked in the room. If we moved to the breakfast room, it worked but who wants to sit in an empty cafe area to retrieve their email? I don't think this hotel is any huge bargain but I liked it enough to not go through the hassle to move. I've stayed at several other boutique hotels in various cities (I prefer them) and this one didn't measure up to some of the others. I did like the decor and proximity to the places we wanted to visit, but I don't think I'd stay again. I'd give it three an a half stars if I could.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Palm Springs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hotel gets consistently high reviews, but still the rooms are very mimimal and I believe in most cases have a shared bathroom. The location and price are great although staying on a Saturday it was noisey outside until about 2am. For Seattle the price of the room is very good. Staff definitely helpful and friendly. I did miss my own bathroom and probably would not stay here again except for an one night transit. Good walking to everything is a plus.

Room Tip: You ask for a room in a quiet location.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed here for only 1 night on the end of an Alaskan cruise. The service was great, the rooms and bathrooms were well equipped and clean.

Location is excellent, walking distance to everything and some great restaurants and bars around made it really easy to spend our time in Seattle and see enjoy the city!

If we ever return to Seattle we will happily stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ace Hotel? Share your experiences!