“Superb Seattle” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Belfast
“Superb Seattle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

I loved this hotel - we went as part of our honeymoon and the wonderful staff at the hotel upgraded our room for us (we brought our marriage cert!) and put some wonderful chocolate covered bride and groom strawberries in a box on our pillow for us.
The room was brilliant, very comfortable and looked over Pike Place Market and the Sea.
The hotel is so central and near some fantastic restaurants and all the brilliant shops of Seattle.
We went to have a bucket of seafood on the boardwalk - what an experience - it was very enjoyable and very delicious.
We had a truely lovely time at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
marketcaptain, General Manager at Inn at the Market, responded to this review, March 20, 2009
Dear Guest from Belfast:

Thank you for staying with us and allowing us to be your hotel of choice for your special night. I am glad that you made us aware of you special occasion and I encourage trip advisor readers to make us aware when you are making your reservation if you are celebrating something special.

dwatkins@innathemarket.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

I recently stayed at this hotel for 3 nights while in Seattle on business. Others have mentioned it, but the location really is exceptional. It's such a treat to be only steps away from any number of great foods, restaurants, coffee, wine, etc. in the market, but still within easy walking distance to the conference center and downtown shopping. The hotel has a great rooftop deck, with glorious views across the harbour. The staff I encountered were without exception friendly and helpful. My room was just fine - a standard hotel room with everything I needed. The bathroom was huge, and the bed very comfortable. It's also nice that the windows open. Overall, my impression is that the interior of the hotel is perfectly pleasant, but pretty standard - it's the location, the lovely staff and the rooftop patio that make a stay here so enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

My husband and I just spent the weekend here, and could not have had a better stay. The location is easily the best in Seattle, the hotel is beatiful AND comfortable/welcoming, the staff - meaning *every* person we came into contact with from the parking valet and front desk to room service - was helpful, professional, and genuinely friendly. Our impression was that customer service really matters here - and as the customer, we appreciated it!

The furnishings are simple and classy - no fussy or pretentious here - and the beds are to die for! Room service was very quick, and the fresh croissaints, juice blends and Chai lattes were delicous. The word "complimentary" comes up often here - even including the wireless in the rooms and the business center with *multiple* work stations.

We truly enjoyed our stay here and can't wait to come back!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
marketcaptain, General Manager at Inn at the Market, responded to this review, March 4, 2009
Dear Guests from San Deigo:

I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to The Inn at The Market, thank you for sharing with everyone. Please contact me when you decide to return and I will oversee your reservation.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Inn over Valentine's day weekend. It was our first time in Seattle, and the location was absolutely perfect. It cannot be emphasized enough that the Inn is literally on the same block as the Market. Outside the front door and to your right is Beecher's (the best mac and cheese in the world), amazing little wine shops, and all the vendors you could ever hope to experience (art, food, flowers, clothing). To your left is 1st Ave, where you will find great restaurants, museums, and shopping all within very close walking distance.

The room we stayed in faced the interior courtyard and we had a momentary regret that we didn't book a room facing the gorgeous view of the water and mountains, but then remembered that we weren't planning to spend much time in the room anyhow - this is Seattle after all! The room was not particularly fancy but it was very clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the room was very quiet even though the hotel is in a busy location and the courtyard could create an echo chamber (it doesn't). A very nice touch was the 2 tiny cupcakes left by our bedside when we returned on Saturday night - the chocolate especially was delicious.

Two minor staffing complaints:

First, and this is pretty minor -- the day we were checking out (Sunday), the housekeeping staff knocked on our door first at 8:45, then again at 9:15, then again at 9:45 (both of us were awake and working on our laptops from the room). Given that checkout is not until noon, at which time they would theoretically be cleaning the room again anyhow, it was a little obnoxious to receive repeated interruptions from housekeeping.

Second, and this is by far the worse transgression -- the young woman staffing the front desk when we checked in was unbelievably rude (and I'm not someone who usually cares about this sort of thing - I've certainly never posted a complaint on Tripadvisor before). I had emailed the hotel's info email address [--] to request that the hotel make a reservation for at the hotel's restaurant, Campagne. I heard that it was outstanding and romantic and thought it would be nice to eat there on Valentine's Day. I sent the email 2 weeks beforehand and, of course, included the fact that we would be guests at the hotel. I probably should have called the restaurant as well, but at a hotel this nice, one would expect the staff to be willing to take care of that sort of thing. I never received a response (clue #2 that I should have called to confirm), and when we arrived and we noted that we were looking forward to the restaurant and asked to confirm the reservation, the woman working at the front desk said that we hadn't made one. When I explained that I had sent an email to the hotel, she said in a really rude manner, "well, I never received that email and we are full." I explained that I sent it to the info email address and even showed her the email from my Blackberry screen. She said, "I don't receive those emails at my personal account," which of course was not the point - I wasn't saying I sent it to her, just to the hotel. At that point, someone from the restaurant's staff was standing near the reservation desk and recommended that we try to walk in as there are unreserved tables near the bar. I asked if it would be possible to make a special exception and allow us to reserve one, given that we had attempted to make a reservation 2 weeks earlier and that it was Valentine's Day. The woman at the front desk actually interrupted and said no, we would have to wait like anyone else. I wish I had remembered to ask for her name, but she had long(ish) straight hair and wore glasses and was working at the desk at about 2:30 pm on Saturday when we checked in. We ended up having a great dinner elsewhere and even though we had wanted to try the restaurant, we opted for Cafe Juanita the next night. Her behavior was unprovoked and totally out of character from everyone else at the hotel - other folks were super nice (especially the valets).

As I said earlier, the hotel was in a superb location and the rooms were nice and reasonably priced. Someone just needs to smooth out a few staffing issues (and I need to remember to call and confirm next time....).

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
marketcaptain, General Manager at Inn at the Market, responded to this review, February 20, 2009
Dear Guest:
Thank you for selecting the Inn at The Market to celebrate Valentine’s Day. I am very sorry that our housekeeping department disturbed you several times; it is not standard for us to repeatedly knock on doors. I have reviewed your comments with our housekeeping team to remind them to be conscientious when knocking on guest room doors, on behalf of our Executive Housekeeper please accept our apologies. Regarding your experience with Campagne it would be very helpful if you could please contact me at dwatkins@innatthemarket.com so I can clearly understand what happened. I appreciate you taking the time to share.
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2009

We started to stay at The Inn in the mid-1980's. Since then, every trip to the North West includes a stay at The Inn, whether it is business or pleasure.

Unlike any other hotel I ever stayed at, there is such a great feeling of peace here. The employees cannot do enough for you, and they know when to let you be. On my last visit, I had a courtyard view. The courtyard was under reconstruction, but was still very bearable -- even the construction workers were respectful.

The roof patio is wonderful. Nothing beats a glass of wine while watching the sunset, Ranier and the Space Needle. At night, the lights on the bay are fantastic.

I am a Starbuck's junkie. Can't beat getting up, walking the block to the original Starbuck's, then enjoying my latte while enjoying the views from my room.

Even our son puts The Inn as, number one -- although it does not have a swimming pool!!

My only regret is that we cannot get to Seattle often enough.

• Liked — The peaceful atmosphere, especially considering its location
  • Disliked — Second Avenue at night is not the best of places
  • Stayed April 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
marketcaptain, General Manager at Inn at the Market, responded to this review, February 1, 2009
Thank you for making the Inn at The Market your hotel of choice. Please be sure to contact me directly when you plan on returning, I will personally oversee your reservation. If anyone needs assistance with reservations or special request, please feel free to contact me. Looking for a "world class restaurant ", be sure to try Campagne located in our courtyard.

Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

Having read excellent reviews about this hotel, as well as heard it recommended by local friends, it was a no-brainer. Only slight more than other hotels nearby, it was still a steal at $175/night. When I told them that it was my husband's birthday weekend, they generously gave us a complimentary upgrade to a Townhouse (City View).

The room was very nice (though I am not a fan of the two story townhouse layout), with something that we're already used to from home; a Tempurpedic bed (my husband was in heaven!) and soft, beautiful bedding and sheets. The bathroom left a little to be desired (I like nice bathrooms with large bathtubs and this was very cramped and small) but for a weekend, it was fine. I had requested a bottle of wine to wait for us as we arrived for his birthday, and they delivered and also left some delicious cupcakes and a birthday card. Very nice extra touch.

The location could not be more perfect, right next to the Pike Market. Even though we had a City View (ask for the Ocean View if you can; it can't be beat!), we still had a partial view of the water and the market from the bay windows.

Highly recommend this hotel, and will definitely stay here again!

Stayed January 2009
marketcaptain, General Manager at Inn at the Market, responded to this review, January 24, 2009
Dear Maggie:

Thank you for sharing and staying at the Inn at The Market. There are times we are able to offer upgrades, I am glad to hear you did. For other readers be sure to metion if you are celebrating something special, we like to know.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

My boyfriend found this hotel and totally surprised me. It was the best. The hotel staff went above and beyond and was so quick to help with any request. The rooms were beautiful..from the bathroom to the view, even the bed was very comfortable. We will for sure come back and spread the good word!

• Liked — The style
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
marketcaptain, General Manager at Inn at the Market, responded to this review, January 14, 2009
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your comments and I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your suprise holiday. This is a great time to visit this wonderful city of Seattle and explore from our front steps. We have partnered with the world famous "Pike Place Fish" market for a "Catch and Relax Package". Please feel free to contact me if you are retruning.

dwatkins@innatthemarket.com

Been to Inn at the Market? Share your experiences!