“Unmade sofa bed with orthodontic elastic band in it.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 97 Hotels in Seattle
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
BC
“Unmade sofa bed with orthodontic elastic band in it.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Spent a girls' weekend here in September and had mixed reviews on this hotel. Everyone loved the decor, the service was very good, and overall we really liked the hotel.

However, when I went to set up my sofa bed, the bedding inside the mattress was all wrinkled and unmade as though it had been slept in but the sheets not changed. I also found an orthodontic elastic band on the mattress (I know what they look like as my daughter has braces). I called the front desk to let them know but since it was late, I just slept in the king bed with my roomie rather than wait for housekeeping to come and rectify the problem.

The bed was comfortable but the noise level was pretty loud. I could hear vehicles in the back alley and people in the hallway.

The evening wine reception was a nice touch as were the complimentary beverages in the lobby. The concierge helped us to reserve a table at Lola's where we enjoyed an amazing dinner.

Would I return to this hotel? Maybe, but there are so many other nice hotels in the area that I might not.

Room Tip: Away from elevator and not facing the alley.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
GMatthehotel, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Seattle - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Well that was the problem, you went to Lola's instead of Tulio or Sazerac, a meal here would have changed your whole opinion of us. With great service, wonderful decor, and free wine I am not certain why you wouldnt recommend us, but hope you have a great visit in one of the other hotels. Those sofa beds are changed and made up every stay, and due to how they fold into the sofa they tend to look different than that nice flat press bed you enjoyed. Hope you come back soon and we can try and convince you that your really did like us!
Tom.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

The Hotel Monaco was a lovely place to stay for a variety of reasons. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, the room was beautiful and the amenities were great. To have an entire hub where I could plug everything in on a desktop was amazing, as opposed to crawling behind the bed or desk to find one outlet in other hotels. The free wifi was great. Just loved everything about this place. And, when I filled out their survey after I stayed, the manager actually personally emailed me to respond to my comments! Wonderful customer service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Gosh, that General Manager must be one great guy! Thanks for the nice note. We really do try and figure out how to be everything for everyone, from business hotel to great place to escape for the weekend, you seem to hit on all the positive parts and we are very grateful! Come back soon!
Sitka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

I was in Seattle for a weekend to force myself to take a break from work. This hotel was the perfect blend of relaxing and celebratory atmosphere, created by the decor and amenities and service. I really appreciated the midern/efficient convenience of the fader light switches and outlets (for charging phone) right by the bed --and yet the decor somehow kept the atmosphere from being too "techy." The color scheme and luxurious materials achieved that relaxing and energizing balance that I needed!

• Stayed November 2013
The concept behind all that stuff in your guest room is that of a world traveler who had collected a variety of items from their world travels and are displaying them in their home (oh! I get it now) somehow it all works and we have guests who feel that they can cocoon in their guest rooms as they are so relaxing. I think this is a great compliment that you could find the hotel as a place for relaxation. If you add a meal in Sazerac, - it might be close to a full meal deal escape!
Port Townsend, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We have stayed here a number of times and always find it absolutely perfect. The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. The staff are friendly and helpful and the location downtown is close to shopping and restaurants, as well as sporting venues. Sazerac is a nice, buzzy restaurant with excellent Cajun chow. All in all, a great spot in downtown Seattle.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
The location of this hotel is really terrific Brian, I should know I practically live here! The center of the city (think market and Macy's) has a little too much buzz for most people and the location of the Monaco is great in that you can get there if you want to but more importantly you can get out of it if you want to! There are some great restaurants in our area, Tulio, Bookstore Bar and Sazerac spring to mind for some reason but a long list of others can be found with our ever so friendly Concierge can get you there.
Come back soon!
Union City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

It was our first visit to Seattle and our stay at Monaco Hotel made it memorable. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. They were able to accommodate us in all our requests and the restaurant was amazing. We definitely plan on coming back!

• Stayed October 2013
Thanks for the note - the restaurant Sazerac, has been a fixture for some time and evoved from a Southern eatery to one whc has great Pacific Northwest dishes with a slight taste of the South, come back soon and give it a serious test drive!
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My best endorsement would be to say I arrived at the Monaco late in the evening after two delayed flights, in the rain and wind and from the second I pulled the hotel it felt like home. Valet was on top of getting my bags, and ushering me in under an umbrella, my room was just as my preferences requested, and the front desk made a room service recommendation for a warm soup and grill cheese. DONE and DONE. I want to stop there because really I don't want to taint the fact that it was a great stay. The room was on the smaller size, but perfectly cozy. I had a good amount of work to do so laying in bed I thrilled at the brilliance of the power outlets on the side the night tables. Bathroom was average size, but traveling alone I had enough space for everything. I had a car and had planned to drive through town, so the location wasn't as big a concern, but its definitely in a business part of town. That being said theres NO view, in fact it was in the shadow of a much larger office building next door.
If your deciding amongst the Kimptons in town…Alexis is the best location, followed by Monaco with smart rooms, and then Vintage, just a block away but looks a little worn.

Room Tip: High floor, facing away for the office building
Green Features: Love that they are a responsible chain…big reason I opt for them when possible.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
GMatthehotel, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Seattle - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Hey, thanks for the great note on your experience with us! this hotel actally has 17 different room types which was likely done to see if we could make the reservations agent crazy, however as a building which was converted from something else, it just turned out that way. Some of our rooms are great for 1 person some great for 4 or more, there is likely a room type fore everyone. We are located in the middle of the downtown core and yep, there are a number of buildings around us, but we also have some decent views, just depends what you are looking for. The Alexis is a great hotel and good location except for those hills, and the Vintage - is going to be the shiniest kid on the block shortly when they do a massive remodel, however one thing won't change - Tulio is the best Italian restaurant outside of Italy!
West Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

A lovely boutique hotel in the heart of Seattle. Good proximity to shops, restaurants and Pikes Place Market. The rooms are very nice with lovely linens and well appointed bathrooms. My son loved having his very own goldfish - they will lend you one during your stay - feel free to name it!
Very friendly staff as well.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hello Canada, thanks for the great note, the nice thing about being a boutique hotel is the feature of being able to do what we want to make a guest feel better about staying here than one of those beige hotels. I worked for a big box hotel and one day when I heard someone at the desk yell out 'next' to the crowd of people standing in line, I really had to ponder what gracious hospitality was about. Its about making your son smile with a gold fish or hiring a street musician to play guitar while you have a glass of wine, thanks for the nice note, its why we are here.
Tom.

Been to Hotel Monaco Seattle - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!