“Great Location for Exploring Seattle” 4 of 5 stars

Save Up To 20%
Ranked #8 of 95 hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Location for Exploring Seattle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Monaco in Seattle in June 2013. The hotel is like other Kimpton Hotels - the decor is an interesting and eclectic mix of colors, patterns and styles - but always unique. The room was clean and spacious. The bed was comfy, and the bathroom was pretty good sized. The walls, however, were a little "too thin". We actually heard EVERYTHING from every room around us.

The location of the hotel, however, was nearly perfect. We were within walking distance (although we do like to walk) from everything we wanted to do: Pike Place Market, the Space Needle, SafeCo Field, Food Tours, Ferries/Cruises at the piers, etc. And be warned that if you decide to walk down to PIer 57 for a delicious seafood feast at The Crab Pot that you'll need to walk back up 4 very steep blocks of hills to get back to the hotel. (Of course, this also a great way to work off the delicious dinner.)

Complaints: no late-night convenience store in the area, too few towels provided in the room, black-out curtains let light in on the sides and middle (and we also happened to be in the direct path of the early morning sunlight), noisy neighbors/thin walls.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GMatthehotel, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Seattle - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thanks Amy, You are right, this hotel is a perfect place to launch a trip around Seattle - we really are in the middle of the city, far enough away from the maddening crowd (also known as the Market) and close enough to catch a monorail to the space needle or Nordrstroms flagship store (according to my wife). One of the issues any hotel has is that we cant control the inconsideration of the guests around you. you can put walls 3 feet thick but your neighbors will still slam doors and yell in halls. Hey, if you need something after you check in, never hesitate to pick up the phone and call, towels to goldfish we will get it for you. Never had a comment on the black out curtains before, but as it is only sunny in Seattle about 34 days a year, guess its not always an issue! Thanks for the nice note, come back soon!

1,276 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Monaco in Seattle on a recent business trip. This was a solid choice of hotels for several reasons.

First, the beds are VERY comfortable. Nice selection of pillows as well. Everyone in our group commented that they slept very well thanks to the comfort of the beds.

Secondly, the service was outstanding. I needed a couple things during the stay and the hotel staff made it happen. And they did it with a smile and like it was just part of the job.

Lastly, the location is ideal. We were able to walk to every meeting location. Also, the Starbucks is essentially next door!

I highly recommend this hotel for either business or personal stays in Seattle.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
There is a Starbucks in Seattle? gosh must look that up! yes, out the door to the left about 40 feet there is a ginormous Starbucks. Alex and his crew are there 7 days a week. If you dont feel like getting out of that great bed, then pick up the phone and call room service and they can bring you up a cup. We have a great crew here, the staff are all having fun every day and it shows. From the guy who brings you up your goldfish to the smiling guy at the door. Let us know and we will get it done. Thanks for the notes.
Mahwah, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Like most boutique Kimpton hotels, this is a very nice physical property and is situated in a convenient downtown location. It has the usual Kimpton features like the free wine hour, urns of iced citrus water in the lobby (love that), friendly staff, modern/retro chic decor, etc. We immediately consulted the concierge for recommendations for dining and fun places to visit, and he gave us terrific advice -- I think we tried almost every place he mentioned. Our Monte Carlo Suite was spacious, clean, and the bed was comfy. We had breakfast at their Sazerac restaurant one morning and it was delicious -- we particularly liked the interesting non-alcoholic drink concoctions offered on the menu.

The thing is, you need a good dose of patience to stay here. Most of the time you have to make requests at least twice to get them happening -- this means asking more than one person. Here are some examples:
1) Five days before our arrival, I received an email from the concierge staff asking if there were any special requests for our arrival. I emailed back that same day, requesting an early arrival as we were on a cruise ship and I knew we'd be disembarking fairly early in the morning in Seattle the day of our hotel arrival. I also said I knew this couldn't be guaranteed, but if it was possible, we'd appreciate it. I never got any response at all, so the day before our scheduled arrival, I once again emailed from the cruise ship to double-check they got my request. Still no response. The last night of our cruise, I actually ended up calling the hotel just to follow-up and finally got someone (Rachel, who was great) who confirmed the request had been made but they couldn't guarantee the early check-in. I pointed out that it would have been nice just to get a quick email back saying just what she said. It took two emails and a phone call from a cruise ship just to find out my request was made. Rachel did make good on this by giving us a free upgrade to a suite, understanding that I should not have to follow up so many times on a request, which was greatly appreciated.

2) While our concierge gave us great advice, that process required asking twice, too. He recommended a restaurant and said he'd call to make a dinner reservation for the following evening. We saw him call the restaurant and leave a message. We never heard anything after that. The next day the concierge wasn't there so we told the front desk that we were still wondering if we had a reservation for dinner or not, and then got a call back from another staff member who did make us a reservation, but there was none made the day before. When we brought this to the attention of the original concierge, he apologized but flipped through his notebook and said "oh, I guess the restaurant never called back." If that was the case, we'd have appreciated him leaving us a message so that we could have followed up with the restaurant ourselves, or perhaps he could have called the restaurant back before he left for the day.

3) On our first night we were watching TV and the back housing just fell off the TV. The next morning we told the front desk about this and they noted it, but when we returned that evening still it hadn't been fixed. It did get fixed after, you guessed it, we told someone again.

4) Sazerac had a great breakfast. It took two requests for my hubby to get some toast, though.

Everyone was really friendly, which was great, but I must say I also prize accuracy and efficiency in hospitality staff. If this place could get that aspect of a guest's stay attended to, it could be a really excellent place instead of a very good one!

Green Features: One of the reasons we choose Kimpton hotels is because of it's environmentally friendly mission.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GMatthehotel, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Seattle - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
thanks Anne, appreciate knowing all the good times you had with the concierge and staff, the city is crazy busy this time of year - from restaurants to traffic there is so much going on that we find it hard to keep up. Great to read of all the positive and the follow up needed with those details. hope your travels were all you dreamed they would be, you are a long way from New Jersey!
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I spent a few nights at Hotel Monaco with my Mum in May 2013. We have stayed at a number of Kimpton hotels previously and the Hotel Monaco definitely lived up to the standard of other properties. Check in was seamless and we were on one of the club floors. Nice touch having an elevator that is direct to the upper floors. The room was well decorated and quirky. The beds were very comfortable...a good nights sleep was had.
On the 2nd day, we noticed a strong smell of cigarette smoke. After coming back later in the morning the smell was still around. We advised the front desk and found the way the front desk dealt with our concerns was very professional. They were already aware of the situation and did what they could to make our stay a great one.
Its nice while travelling to seeing all the other hotel guests dogs...makes it feel more homely.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GMatthehotel, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Seattle - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thanks so much for the great comments! We were delighted to read that you felt right at home with the staff, the decor and the dogs (guessing you are a dog person!) You are so correct, if you have an issue at a hotel, just get down to the front desk and let them know, we aim to please and will get it done!
Come back soon.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

The people make this property - though the property is wonderful too. I stay exclusively at Kimptons and this one did not disappoint. Ethan, Kevin and Peter at the front desk were terrific. As a female business traveler they could not have been more helpful. One gets an old world hospitality feel at the Monaco Seattle. For so many hotels these days it is just "next." Not here. I was so pleased by my experience that I rebooked it for an upcoming family holiday. Yesterday I called with some questions - which reminded me that I had not written a review. Karen, the front desk manager could not have been more helpful and was genuinely excited that I was returning with my family. As with many city Kimptons, this is a renovation of an earlier property so the outside is nondescript. The inside is an oasis - high ceilings. fun ocean themed decor and typically great Kimpton room. However, the reason I will return is the people. Bravo on customer service that exceeded my expectations, even for a Kimpton.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Wow, that is great that you would trust us enough with your upcoming plans! What a team, you picked several of those top players - Ethan, Kevin and Peter all exemplify the very best of the staff that we enlist to care for your time with us. I tell the staff frequently we arent just checking guests in and out we are making memories! Delighted that Karen at the desk is setting up your next stay - dinner in Sazerac would top off the experience!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were here July 8-10 and couldn't have been happier. Walked to Pike Place and Safeco Field. Pet accomodations were excellent. Room was beautiful. Staff was amazing! Will definitely make this our Seattle hotel!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Big Mako!
Thanks for the nice notes, and hope that you will come back and see us soon - lets raise a glass or two at wine hour!
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

At check-in my fiancee and I were commenting on the goldfish program and how you could get one sent to your room. Unfortunately none were available and didn't really want one anyways but the front desk called us later just to double check if we wanted a goldfish and if we did, they could make it happen. We declined but the offer showed that Kimpton and it's employees at Hotel Monaco Seattle actually care about their guests and pay attention to their needs. (Even if you mention something in passing!)

Lastly, I love the fact that they allow pets, it's make the hotel less sterile and more like home. And you couldn't even guess they allow pets because it is SO clean and new smelling! Such a great property and hotel group in general. We can't wait to come back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for this, I believe that is a specialty of Kimpton hotels, you are not just another room number you actually the a chance to connect with the staff and the hotel. I am sorry that we were out of goldfish - we have about 100 of them, but they are very popular with families and travelers however they do tell stories of their adventures when we put them back in the big tank.
Come back from Alaska soon and make it a perfect stay with dinner in Sazerac, - the roast chicken will change your life!
Tom.

Been to Hotel Monaco Seattle - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!