“Perfect spot and close to St Emilion” 5 of 5 stars

1 Courtebotte, Saint-Jean-de-Blaignac, France   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
New York City, New York
“Perfect spot and close to St Emilion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

If you are visiting St Emilion or the area, this chateau is the perfect base. Isabelle, my hostess, and her husband thought of every detail when they renovated this lovely little chateau on the banks of the Dordogne. Every room feels luxurious and comfortable. From the bathroom fixtures to the bed linens to the soaps and shampoo, everything was carefully chosen and is wonderful. In addition to the individually decorated rooms (no two are alike but all that I've seen are lovely), there are common rooms on the ground floor - a beautiful, huge salon, a TV room (although there are TVs in each room), the dining room and a billiard room. The lovely welcome coffee was just the first bit of excellent service I experienced at the Chateau. Isabelle recommended that I have dinner my first night at the Auberge Saint-Jean, a restaurant a 5 minute walk from the hotel in the little town of Saint-Jean-de-Blaignac, and she made a reservation for me. It was superb. My only regret during my stay at the Chateau de Courtebotte was to have missed the dinner Isabelle and Pascal served at the Chateau one evening. I chose not to attend because I wasn't sure of my schedule that day - but I really regret missing it! Everyone else staying at the Chateau (whom I met at the breakfast table) had attended and said the food was magnificent and it was an experience not to be missed. The breakfast that Isabelle served was delicious - homemade muffins and crepes, and baguette and croissants from the local bakery with a delightful selection of jams and perfect lattes - so I was not surprised that the dinner was excellent. Well, I will have to return and I will be sure to join the dinner next time! I had booked a room in the pavilion but Isabelle upgraded me as she had the space available (a rainy May mid-week). She showed me a couple of rooms and I chose the Concerto - a huge room with a huge bathroom, decorated with oversized lush velvet pink armchairs. I loved sitting at the window and looking out at the river. I highly recommend this lovely hotel with the proprietors who could not be more helpful with any and every request.

Room Tip: I loved the Concerto. Request a view of the Dordogne River!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

if you are trying to find a place to stay while visiting St Emillion- this is it! Chateau de Courtebotte is 5-10 minutes from St Emillion. Why stay in the overpriced, touristy hotels in S E? C Courtebotte is in a beautiful setting on the river Dordogne. A fantastic redo of original Chateau. They kept the original structure and feel of the old chateau and added a modern interior renovations and furnishings- it works very well. Very classy, elegant, and beautiful. The best part is Isabelle, the hostess and owner. She couldn't be nicer. Warm, friendly, welcoming, and helpful. Her home made yogurt and jams at breakfast are the best we have ever had. We stayed in a two room suite on the 2 nd floor- it was huge with views of the river and perfect for 3 adults. make sure to eat at the restaurant that Isabelle recommends within walking distance- it was fabulous. We wished we could have stayed longer, but we will return soon.

Room Tip: all are unique. ask for a room with a view of the river.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Gibsonia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We spent 4 nights with at Chateau Courtebotte and seriously did not want to leave. The chateau has been beautifully decorated with the historic and modern combined. The rooms were all different-we stayed in the Vintage room, which was lovely. But what made it the most special was the assistance we received during our stay from Isabelle-what a great hostess! She was helpful before our arrival in setting up winery tours and restaurant reservations for us, and continued to make suggestions and reservations during our stay, and they even provided suggestions for restaurants in Paris. Lovely people and a lovely property. You will not go wrong staying there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was so impressed with this place that it's prompted me to write my first review in nearly half a decade of using this website. My only hesitation is that the continued rave reviews will soon render it too popular - but selfishness should never win out when it comes to wine country.

At risk of plagerising the previous entries, one of the primary reasons this place is so special is the very individual attention given to each guest at the B&B. Having managed to escape the city drabs for only one night, Isabelle's thoughtful and meticulous planning removed any requirement for the time or stress which would usually be associated with planning a last minute trip, which meant the weekend felt like a much longer break.

I mean seriously, how many places have you been that present you with a printed itinerary of your wine tour bookings on arrival, and a torch when you leave for the local restaurant so that you don't meander into potholes on your unlit stumble home? The rooms overlooking the Dordogne don't hurt either.

Depending on what you're after, Isabelle will be able to recommend a number of different types of winery tours - Chateau Beausejour Becot was a highlight - I highly recommend taking her suggestions, and pre-booking. The rooms are incredibly good value for money - we stayed in tastefully done-up twin with many personal touches. A dinner at the local establishment (please do go to Auberge St Jean, it's as marvelous as everyone keeps saying), especially if you can get a table on the "jutty-outty" area overhanging the water, tops off a fantastic evening - but make sure you leave room for breakfast the next morning.

A huge thanks to Isabelle and her team for a lovely weekend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Honestly, we were completely blown away by this place. Professional, hospitable, beautifully decorated and all the small touches you can think of. Isabelle and Pascal were superb hosts. We stayed for 2 nights in the Capri Suite (2 bed) with our 2 sons. Stunning rooms and bathroom overlooking the river. Beautiful furniture, linens etc even down to hair straighteners!! Brilliant. Superb breakfasts both mornings and a brilliant evening meal. 39 Euros for 4 courses and all the wines was excellent value, in fact, the best meal we had had on our whole trip to Bordeaux - do not miss the opportunity to have dinner there! We will definitely be going back here. WE LOVED IT!! My only gripe, and it is only small, was that there is no insulation between the downstairs rooms and the bedrooms on the 1st floor. If guests are eating downstairs at night time and you're wanting to sleep, you will hear noise. Don't let this put you off though. They are currently re-landscaping their gardens with a brand new swimming pool and spa plus a beautiful pathway up to a stunning balcony overlooking the river. It will be finished in a couple of months and will be of the highest quality, I can be certain of that.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Really competent, professional and efficient management. We loved the location and the room. It was very large, well appointed and the bed was to die for. The owner recommended that we visit the local auberge for dinner. DO NOT MISS THIS PLACE. (Auberge St Jean). How it does not have a Michelin star is beyond us and it is very reasonably priced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Seville, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We are very lucky that prior to arriving we extended our stay to 6 nights. I would have found it difficult to leave before that. The renovation and decorations that have taken place in this Chateau need to be seen to be believed. It is lavish and tasteful and we could have stayed in the Patio room for the duration of our stay (as long as Isabelle kept delivering her home-made delicious far, including the yoghurt we are still craving for). Luckily Isabelle provided suggested daily outings to make sure our stay was even more special as this area of France is beautiful. The suggested itineraries were aligned with the weather, our interests, our desire to have either a busy or slow day. The restaurant suggestions were also superb, as was our Sunday night dinner at the Chateau which was prepared by Isabelle, Pascal and Isabelle's Mum (I think). This is a lovely family who deserve to be successful. They provided the perfect holiday experience and I hope we get to return someday. In the meantime I can only suggest others book a stay and get to enjoy the experience as much as we did and we will continue to remind ourselves how priveleged we were to have had this opportunity.

Room Tip: We LOVED the patio room but I have no doubt everyroom in this Chateau is amazing.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Chateau de Courtebotte? Share your experiences!