“12 Sep 2008 La cour du Roy” 3 of 5 stars

La Villa K
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1, rue de Lectoure, 68300 Saint Louis, France   |
Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Saint Louis
Rhyl, UK
“12 Sep 2008 La cour du Roy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

My wife and I stayed here for three nights, using the hotel as a base to visiting Switzerland after cheap flights from Liverpool to Basel Mulhouse airport. The hotel is in a quiet location. There appears to be a good bus service in to Basel (Bael) the 604 takes you into the centre.
Our room was cosy, clean and quiet (3rd floor) with a good shower room. The lift sounds like the cable is about to give! We couldn't complain about the continental breakfast, there was plenty (Croissants, Cereal, Breads Cheese portions, hams, fruit, yogurts). The female staff on the reception were very good, polite and courteous. The male on the desk was okay to start with, but snubbed us after I asked the question if any other room had tea/coffee facilities!
So:
No coffee/tea making facilities is definitely a negative point for this hotel, most hotels I have stayed in have these.
The restaurant was not available on any evening we were there (Fri 12/9/08-15/9/08 inclusive) The hotel website looks fantastic
but be cautious! Not all as it seems.
Taxi journies to the Airport & Basel SBB take about 10 minutes, however it isn't cheap. Expect to pay about £15-17 to the Main Rail station. Tip, try to book a taxi in advance, not on spec at the airport, it cost twice as much as normal! we never used the bus service into Basel centre as we had early starts, late finishes (touring) but it is €1 from St Louis, with multi journey tickets available. The Pizzeria opposite the hotel doesn't look to inviting, but there are one or two restaurants near by that are very good.
I'd rate the hotel 7/10 max. Would I stay here again? Unlikely.
I have learn't my lesson, I'm going to pay slightly more staying more centrally and cut them taxi fares out!

• Liked — Helpful staff, clean and tidy
  • Disliked — No tea or coffee making facilities. Distance from Basel
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Hamburg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2008

I just stayed a night in this hotel. It's really comfortable for the airport, only 10 minutes by taxi. Also, Basel is only 10 minutes away.

My room and the bathroom (with a bath tub) were spacious and comfortable. The toilet was in an extra room. Everything was clean, there was a huge wardrobe, a TV with French, Swiss and German channels as well as BBC etc.

The service was not overwhelmingly impressive but ok. They didn't show me to my room but only described how to get there. In the morning, when I came down to the reception I couldn't find anyone to hand over my keys to so I took them with me. I needed some time to find out where breakfast was served as no one had explained or shown me the way before. For breakfast, there was a small buffet with coffee, juice, croissants, fruit salad etc. That was fine.
However, whenever I met anyone from the staff, they were very friendly (but it was sometimes hard to find them).

I felt well in this hotel and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for something near the airport and does not look for being indulged all the time.

• Liked — the spacious room and bathroom
  • Disliked — it was very hot, had difficulties to open my window
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

We flew in and out of Basle and booked this on the internet for an inexpensive overnight stay at each end of the holiday. The room was lovely with comfortable beds and nice bathrooms and as such was excellent value for money. There was also air-conditioning which was very welcome as it was so hot at the time we stayed. Both nights we stayed we had no real choice but to eat at the hotel and this was a very frustrating experience! Although the food itself was excellent and the courtyard setting lovely, the service on both occasions was absolutely appalling , so it obviously wasn't just "one off -day". The second time we ate there it took 45 minutes for anybody to even ask us if we wanted a drink, despite the fact that there were only 16 people in the restaurant including ourselves!! The second time we ate there they did offer my 8 year old a children's menu - they didn't offer this the first time and as there was nothing really suitable on the adult menu she ended up eating bread and a plate of frites (which arrived half an hour after we had eaten our main course!!) When we complained to the manageress about the poor service she agreed with us so this is obviously an on-going problem. We bought breakfast the first time but thought it was overpriced for what we were offered. The second time we found a local cafe to eat at. If you are going to catch a flight you could also eat at Basle airport which has a fantastic restaurant.

• Liked — the rooms
  • Disliked — the service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2007

We arrived at the hotel to be told by a very apologetic receptionist that our room was not ready due to the hotel being full the night before with a wedding. This wasn't a problem as we sat out in the bar area and had a drink. We didn't have long to wait before someone came out and took us up to our room.

We had booked a superior room and it was spacious and clean with lovely parquet floors and lots of wardrobe space. It also had free broadband access, tv and a huge bathroom with a fantastic shower.

The staff were all friendly and helpful, and the hotel was very comfortable and centrally located. A short 10 minute walk takes you to the Swiss border.

I would definitely stay again at this hotel, it was good value and a trouble free experience.

• Liked — Size of the room. Service
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tulsa, Okla
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2006

Very interesting hotel facility that was worth staying at for our needs (visiting our daughter in Weil am Rhein in Germany). We stayed 7 nights.

Old wood beams and old world charm. Nice shower and clean room.

Since we are used to traveling more in the States, we missed having coffee in the room, a clock and a tub. The shower was right in front of a window with a shear on it, so until the water heated up and fogged the shower glass, my wife was uncomfortable with it.

The lock on the door had to be locked with the key from inside the room, which took an effort each time returning to the room.

Since the hotel was nice, we enjoyed the stay, with the hesitations listed above.

The hotel restaurant was nice, friendly and a little too expensive. We split a meal and had enough food, but we were not extremely hungry. We do not speak French, so we ate beef when the server told us it was pork. She struggled with translating the menu for us. The food was good though and we enjoyed the beef.

The pizzaria (Bellaria) next door was horrible though. They did not like having English speaking patrons and made that plain. We had already gotten our drinks so we stayed and finished, but that was the worst treatment we have ever received in a restaurant.

• Liked — access to our daughter's town and price
  • Disliked — lack of amenities
  • Tips/Secrets — Speak some French, as front desk and restaurant struggles with English
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2006

A really good alternative to the faceless business hotels I normally stay in. 5 mins from Basel Airport, excellent from start to finish. Ate in the hotel restaurant which was inexpensive, 28 euros for three excellent courses,including a glass of wine. Breakfast was good also.Room was well furnished, great bathroom, quiet location, but within the town centre. Definatly will stay there again.

• Liked — Quality and design of the room and bathroom
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Luxembourg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2006

We stayed at the hotel en route to Switzerland as it is near the border.Rooms are not so nice,under the roof,hot in summer,but the bathrooms are gigantic although the water from the open shower came into the bedroom!the hotel is nicely situated in an old beer storage,but beware of the breakfast!In french style you will walk away hungry as even the croissants were missing at 9:30 on a Saturday morning.Dinner was good,but a litle chaotic.All in all,a bit too stressy for me.Even the famous bar Lous XIV was closed on a Friday night!Disappointing!!

• Liked — location near shops,private parking
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to La Villa K? Share your experiences!