“No sauce needed” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 247 Restaurants in Kennesaw
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Outdoor seating
Description: A cute & cozy BBQ joint specializing in FRESH hickory smoked meats. Located just 1.5 miles from I-73, exit 273.
atlanta
“No sauce needed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Tried this local joint based on reviews and was not disappointed. Ordered the 2 pounder, pulled pork to go with buns and two sides: $32.00. The BBQ is the best around and some of the best I've ever had. In fact, no sauce is needed, nor wanted. Just sit back and devour the juicy pulled pork with a side of potato(e) salad and mac and cheese. Who could ask for anything more?

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Acworth, Georgia
“Best BBQ in Cobb County”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have tried them all as I love BBQ and this place should get First Place. Pulled and chopped pork are excellent with their awesome home made proprietary sauce. Smoke flavor ratio perfect and sides are all home made and fresh. Also, be sure to try the salads as an alternative, the smoked salmon Caesar is wonderful and the Blu cheese wedge is to die for. Top it off with their down home banana pudding and that's a meal. We will continue to go back regularity. Owners on premise to insure quality.

Visited June 2013
Fayetteville, Arkansas
“Not a bad experience, but the sauce is underwhelming”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

As many of the other reviewers have noted, Big Shanty is a cozy little joint that prides itself on providing multiple tasty meat options. I would agree that the meats are good and flavorful, but their sauce needs some work. For me, when I'm in the mood for BBQ, the quality of my experience hinges on the sauce. The average overall score is driven by the fact that the sauce wasn't that great and I didn't feel like we got good value for the money.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Small measured portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

The BBQ is not bad, they think its the best but portion control is enforced. I ordered a brisket plate with pickled green beans. 4 thin slices of brisket and 3 beans? Maybe it's his vision of a 3 bean salad? The brisket was good, qute tasty but they offer one sauce. I wish they would offer more varity of sauce. For the no gluten cult they offer gluten free, whatever that is

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chic D, Owner at Big Shanty Smokehouse BBQ, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
The portion of the Brisket Platter is about a 1/2 pound. A large percentage of people that order any of our menu items requests a to-go box because of the large portions. We do not serve pickled beans? Our "smoked" baked beans are served in a 5.5 ounce portion cup. When we offer green beans as our side of the day they are served in an 8 ounce cup. It is our goal to make sure all of our guests leave full & happy. Sorry to hear we didn't achieve this during your visit and hope to have a chance to serve you in the future.
Durham, North Carolina
“Long way from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I have now driven from Durham, NC to Kennesaw, Ga to visit family twice, a year apart. Each time we were taken to Big Shanty Bar-B-Cue. I would drive that far to eat their food. It is delicious. Generous helpings and cooked with red sauce. My husband had the salmon and I took a few bites. I don't like fish but this was very good also.

• Visited May 2013