“try the turkey "ribs!"” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 244 Restaurants in Kennesaw
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Outdoor seating
Description: A cute & cozy BBQ joint specializing in FRESH hickory smoked meats. Located just 1.5 miles from I-73, exit 273.
Marietta, Georgia
“try the turkey "ribs!"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Dependably good bbq. Try to turkey "ribs" - white meat smoked with bbq sauce. The side dishes are just okay, but the meat is almost always excellent.

Visited August 2012

Kennesaw, Georgia
“Nearby best BBQ!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This place is practically across the street from my house so we have been there several times. The BBQ pork is amazing. One time I went and just got the Caesar salad and I could not believe how awesome it was. Now Caesar salad only consists of some romaine, parm, croutons and dressing so how awesome could it be? But it was! However, the next time I went and ordered it again, it was only so-so. The desserts are homemade and heavenly but I can't allow myself to sample them too often!
The restaurant is real small so do take out if it is full. I think the place has good days and bad days for food with the bad days in the minority. If you like pulled pork, ribs and bbq chicken, you will be more than pleased with this place.
It has a TV with sports playing usually so guys will be especially happy about this.

Visited January 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“Pretty Good Q - Would Return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stopped in at the Big Shanty Smokehouse for lunch the other day and generally found it a pleasant experience with good barbecue.

I ordered the pulled pork plate and found the flavor to be solid and their home made sauce a good attribute. The string bean and baked bean sides were good, not great, and I found the "sides" selections a bit limited. I'd like to have the choice of french fries at a barbecue place, but that;s a minor quibble. The star of the show was definitely the Q, and when I return i'm interested to try their ribs and brisket. They also had rib tips and smoked wings for appetizers, and those sound good as well.

I found the small dining room clean, and the drinks are u-serve and contain tea and sodas. If I had one complaint it's the service was a little cool. For a small town place with a homestyle feel to it, I feel the employees could have been a little warmer in their service.

In the end I will return here when in this area, hoping to try out some of their other selections and maybe catch the employees on a better day.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, NC
“Charming country atmosphere with just OK food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

Shanty bbq has an enjoyable kitschy atmosphere with good-sized portions & fair prices. Unfortunately, I went with high expectations from rating #1 on Tripadvisor. The BBQ is OK, but by no means fabulous. We live in NC and know good bbq..so I assume all these rave reviews are because there isn't much else to compare with locally? Or maybe it's the whole style thing from region to region. Whatever the case, we'll be passing on it next time we come through town.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Marietta, Georgia
“Best local BBQ!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

These folks have 'q done right! The brisket, chicken, & ribs are spot on. Just as is required in this neck of the woods, the pulled pork is perfect. I always go 1/2 & 1/2- that's half inside, half outside so that I get just the right amount of bark (that's the firmer part of the butt on the outside where it's caramelized). They also do some imaginative dishes as well, recently did some lamb, but I have not tried it- yet!

• Visited July 2012