“A wonderful find!” 5 of 5 stars

“A wonderful find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

Casa Amanecer
• Very hospitable, helpful hosts
• Clean, attractive environmentally friendly rooms
• Beautifully designed family and guest livingroom/dining/kitchen area
• Delicious food
• Lovely location
• Interesting sights within driving distance

We spent four nights at Casa Amanecer and can only say positive things about Chris and Louisa’s hospitality, warmth and helpfulness throughout our time there. In fact their helpfulness preceded our arrival as Chris assisted us in arranging for two car rentals – one for us and one for our son and his family- for our departure from San Ramon. The bed and breakfast is in a lovely location, the individual rooms and adjoining bathrooms are comfortable, clean, and environmentally friendly. One can sit outside the bedrooms on traditional Costa Rican rocking chairs and enjoy the views or relax in the large and airy family living /dining /kitchen area that guests are invited to share . One is definitely made to feel at home. Breakfasts are delicious and healthy. Dinner, if you choose it, is equally delicious with Chris and Louisa contributing to the preparation. Although we didn’t have a car for the first few days, Chris made arrangements for us to visit a coffee plantation and a cloud forest in the area. Costs for these were reasonable and it was reassuring to know that the money went towards supporting the local people. This bed and breakfast is also child friendly with Chris and Louisa’s children eager to play with others and willing to share their toys. Casa Amanecer gave us a wonderful introduction to Costa Rica.
Joe and Joy, London, Ontario, Canada

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
santa rosa,ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

Our stay here was one of the highlight of our trip. The rooms have a simple beauty, there is an amazing view and the owners were the nicest people we met in Costa Rica. This is a place to go if you want to learn about the country and it is very enviromentally friendly. You are made to feel like a part of their family. I wish we would have planned to stay there longer and taken advantage of the of the beaten path tours Chris can arrange for you.This would also be a great location to take day trips from.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Clinton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

This was our first visit to Costa Rica and we could not be happier with our decision to stay five nights with Chris and Luisa. Chris was extremely helpful as we planned our visit via emails, and we felt like family the moment we arrived. We were greeted each morning by roosters crowing in the nearby hills; cool, fresh breezes; the best coffee of our trip for breakfast, and left on each day's excursion with full stomachs and smiling good wishes. The rooms are very clean, the beds comfortable, and there's plenty of hot water. We put in some long days on the road in our rental car, but really looked forward to arriving "home" every night to relax and unwind. You will too.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

I was in Costa Rica for a dental procedure and spent A LOT of time in San Jose. I had bought into the whole business of Costa Rica being the "greenest" country in the world. I was beginning to feel bitter and jaded realizing that Costa Rica has the same problems we all do. There was very few places to recycle, traffic and smog, litter everywhere and a feeling of having the wool pulled over my eyes. Casa Amanecer is what I thought all of Costa Rica was and I hope it to be.

Chris and Luisa are warm and generous hosts. They compost, re-use their gray water, buy organic and live a simple minimalist life-style. They are growing banana trees and various squashes in the yard. I was beyond thrilled to enter their world. My 2 year old son was also so relieved to escape the confines of San Jose, smell the fresh air, play soccer in the yard and laugh with Fiona and Lucas, the children of Luisa and Chris. I am certain my trip to Costa Rica would have been almost a complete loss if not for my stay here. I was able to relax and take in the sights of the country side. We went on a hike in a local cloud forest that just blew my mind. It was like Jurassic Park. I fully expected a brachosaurus to lumber into view at any point in time.

It was such a lovely stay with food so wholesome, full of flavor and good for you I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I want to go back and stay much longer!! 2 nights was simply not enough. Thank you Chris and Luisa!! Holt says hello!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Port Lambton, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

Chris made us feel so welcome even before we left Canada. I was quite nervous about travelling in Costa Rica. Chris answered any questions I had through his quick replies to any e-mail I sent.. He arranged our car rental and our pickup at San Jose airport. He gave us perfect directions to get to Casa Amanecer. When we got to Casa Amanecer we felt as if Chris and Luisa were old friends. They welcomed us with drinks and snacks and we settled right in. We were able to relax in the patio area and connect to hi-speed internet and check our e-mail, etc. We even helped with dinner preparations... we felt so comfortable...just like being at a friend's house. We enjoyed an amazing dinner with them and another couple. We had a great night's sleep in their lovely, clean rooms and woke up to a spectacular sunrise. There was lots of hot water and the shower in the bathroom was very nice. Breakfast was so delicious!! Luisa sure knows how to put on a great meal. The fresh squeezed juice was wonderful. We were sorry that we had only booked for one night. We can't wait to go back and stay longer and visit with Chris, Luisa and their children.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

Chris and Luisa are welcoming hosts, and their B&B is stunning. Their home was designed by a local architect, and the modern, sustainable design and its views are breathtaking. You won’t want to leave, ever!

The bedrooms are bright, small and efficiently designed. The bathrooms are serene and spa-like. The rooms are designed for couples; if you are traveling with a child you may want to ask if an extra mattress or cot is available - it was a challenge sharing the bed with our toddler.

Luisa's cooking is everything I was craving - fresh, local, innovative, and incredibly tasty. Who knew you could make a delicious tea from fresh basil?

Chris and Luisa went above and beyond both before and during our visit. They researched local activities and transport options for us, plied us with snacks and were very accommodating of our odd arrival and departure times. Their children, too, were excellent hosts, and our two year old loved playing with them and petting their bunnies.

Chris helped us arrange a visit to a nature preserve his neighbor has established, and I highly recommend it to all visitors. We spent two hours walking on just some of the beautiful trails and learning about local plants and wildlife.

However long you are planning to stay, I recommend you add one more day just to sit on the porch, relax, breathe the clean air and drink in the beautiful views. My family will definitely stay here the next time we are in Costa Rica, and next time, we will stay for several days.

Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Casa Amanecer our first night in Costa Rica on our way to the Pacific Coast. It was the perfect spot to stop in when flying into San Jose. Chris & Luisa welcomed us into their beautiful home and treated us like part of their family. San Ramon was a very peaceful and laidback mountain town. My wife is a vegetarian and they were very accommodating and made sure we had everything we needed, even making us a delicious lunch to take with us on our drive to our next town. We highly recommend Casa Amanecer!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Amanecer B&B? Share your experiences!