“We had some major issues with this place” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Seward
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   221 5th Avenue, Seward, AK 99664   |
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Seward
Monument, Colorado
“We had some major issues with this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I would not stay here at all. I would usually never write a review this bad, but the way this place is run merits a terrible review. I think the owner needs to train the staff and also teach them some professionalism and ethics.

For a better value and stay, go to the Exit Glacier Lodge.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We were fortunate to win a raffle ticket for a two night stay at the Hotel Seward with a fishing trip with Wes added in. At no point in our trip were we treated differently because we had a complimentary room. We stayed in a deluxe room (with a bathroom) and although the view was nothing special the room itself was fantastic. The staff were friendly and helpful and even when we did experience an issue they went out of their way to accomodate us and resolve the issue. We met up with Wes the Fish Slayer and had such a brilliant time with this incredible "character". I caught my first ever fish and he made me feel like I had won the lottery. We ate breakfast in the hotel's restaurant and I was limited to waffles as the options were not as wide and varied as I would have liked. Overall we would thoroughly reccomend the Hotel Seward and would definitley recommend Wes the Fish Slayer!

Room Tip: The deluxe room we stayed in has it's own bathroom, if you are private people this is the way to...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Southport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stopped at the seaward hotel for 5 days in August . The twin room was shoe box size with a worn carpet , the bathroom was so small with a tiny hand basin and a standard shower.
The restaurant service was very slow , the food was fair to poor for main meals , the sweets were good. The entertainment was good on 2 nights with the other 2 nights fair.
There was an incident on the last night between the cheff and a coach driver who was defending one of his clients which required a police visit on the morning of departure.The hotel management i understand had little option but to terminate the employment of the cheff. Our overall opinion was that this hotel left an awfull lot to be desired and we will not be staying there again.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

My son&I stayed there for one night with my 3lbs yorkie.Front desk were very friendly&helpful. but they didn't have name tag so i couldn't tell who. we checked in 1st floor&bathroom was dirty so I wrote Manager how helpful they are but bathroom cleanness needs improving. room was very nice. very comfortable pillow top bedding. next morning, when i checked out, front ops manager Mary came by and subtracted some pet fee/house keeping error fee. I thanked her for that. yes, hotel was full, however we local Alaskan pay top dollar for the room, we'd expect bed and bathroom to be excellent/sparkly clean. I gave management AAA++++ for follow up on the guest like us.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I think this is the last time my friend and I will stay in a hotel with shared bathrooms. After my shower I went to clean my hair out of the shower drain and pulled out the hair of who knows HOW many other people plus a piece of broken glass. OK, I didn't HAVE to do that, but I felt like I should clean up after myself -- apparently no one else feels that way. But the room was comfortable enough, the staff friendly and the location convenient to restaurants and shops and to the Sea Life Center. We never tried the restaurant in the hotel but later read online that it was considered good.

Room Tip: You might save $50 by getting a room with shared baths, but there are only two baths for several roo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We arrived at the Hotel Seward in July on a typical Alaskan day of rain and fog.
We were met at the train by the hotel's van and while our room was not ready to be occupied as it was only noon, we were warmly created by the hotel staff.
Our luggage was safely stowed and they arranged for us to strike out to tour Exit Glacier, all suited up in our Gortex rain gear and hiking boots...
We returned later to our wonderfully appointed room, had a superb dinner in the hotel's restaurant, including King Salmon that was delicious!
We ate in the bar area, met many interesting people and were very well attended by the staff.
The owner drove us to meet our boat the next morning, after a hearty breakfast.
Just a wonderful experience!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This hotel was one of our least favorites on our trip to Alaska. Yes - we have been lucky enough to stay in some very nice and warm welcoming hotels and b&b and maybe that is what increases this feel. However, our general feeling was that the price/quality ratio is not so good and that the people here were not as welcoming as in other places. Rooms were clean and quite. The location is good. Nothing to critisize - nothing to rave about. Ok.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Seward? Share your experiences!