“An Excellent Stay at the Bear Paw” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bear Paw Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seward
Bear Paw Lodge
You added Bear Paw Lodge to your Saves list
10411 Bear Paw Drive, Seward, AK 99664   |
Ranked #6 of 41 Specialty Lodging in Seward
Alaska
“An Excellent Stay at the Bear Paw”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2008

We were down in Seward for our Wilderness Medical Recert and stayed at the Bear Paw. It really felt like being at home due to the hospitality of the owners, Wendy & Dave. We had full use of the kitchen, room in the fridge and room in a cabinet for our food. It was very clean and comfortably furnished. Best of all was the outdoor hot tub! I'd recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2007

We had a wonderful stay at the Bear Paw Lodge in Seward. The lodge is a new log building with high ceilings and nice furnishings. Unlike most bed and breakfasts, the Bear Paw Lodge gives its guest access to a new, well-stocked kitchen, and we prepared two nice dinners at the lodge during our stay. The hot tub on the deck was nice, too.

We signed up for the "Adventure Package" offered by Kayak Adventures and spent one spectacular day taking a boat trip to Aialik Bay and kayaking up the fjord. The second day, we spent exploring Exit Glacier. These outings wouldn't be for everyone, especially the hike up to Exit Glacier, which had strenous parts. But if you like outdoor adventures, both were fabulous experiences.

• Liked — The kitchen, hot tub, and nice accommodations.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Zagreb
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

We are probably the first Croatians that have spent their honeymoon in Alaska. We don’t like long sandy beaches and cocktails and… So, Alaska was our choice, there was no question about it. We spent our first 3 days in the amazing Bear Paw Lodge B&B and were absolutely delighted. The house itself is a masterpiece, and the hot bath on the terrace is not bad either after a whole day of outdoor activities. But the hosts, Wendy and Dave are the main reason why we enjoyed Seward so much. Being so far away from home, we didn’t except that we would feel so much at home in any of the places we were staying. Bear Paw Lodge was really a place that we could call home. I don’t know what to point out ‘cause everything about it is just perfect. And believe me, the fact that it’s a 5-10 min drive from Seward is a bonus because you will have the chance to meet some of the most unusual cab drivers in the world. We called them nice lunatics!
So, if you are planning a trip to Seward, we are pretty sure that there is no better place to stay at.

Bruno &Maja
Zagreb, Croatia
Europe

• Liked — The hosts
  • Disliked — Everything was great
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

This lodge was one of the highlights of our trip! This log cabin is so beautiful, and the inside is so warm, clean, and relaxing. The main living room has a large fire place, a cozy coach, and photo albums of their guided tour trips. After a two day backpacking trip that caused my muscles to ache, I was so happy to slip into their new hot tub on the cabin's large deck. Even more, my husband saw a moose walk through their property while he was relaxing in the hot tub. I feel as though I could stay there for a week and still not want to leave.

Additionally, we rented kayaks from KA's for our own four day excursion to Aialik Bay with another friend. The day before we left we took a safety class with Dave, Wendy's husband. We suited up in dry suits, went out into Reserrection Bay and practiced the correct way to paddle, turn, emergency rescue, emergency exits and reentry. Back at KA's home base he taught us among other things, how to read tide tables. I felt so prepared for our trip.

Another great amenity about the lodge is that it has a full kitchen. I bought food at the grocery store and pre cooked our dinners for the three nights that we were going to be out so all we had to do was heat them up.They even provided cereal and milk, yummy muffins, coffee, etc. in the morning, spices, and other refrigerated and dry goods for us to use at our disposal.

I will definately use Bear Paw Lodge, as well as Kayak Adventures, again. Thank you both Wendy and Dave!

• Liked — Fabulous Hospitality, Full Access to Kitchen, Hot Tub, Wildlife
  • Disliked — No Cell Coverage except for Alaskan Native Cell Service, Bring a calling card
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

My wife and I did a 3 day Kayak trip with KAW and stayed the night before we left and the night we got back from our trip at the Bear Paw Lodge. Everything was great. The lodge was clean and spacious and you get to visit with fellow travelers staying there. The price was also great. The Kayaking trip was definatly the highlight of our trip. Dave our tour guide was very frindly and knowledgable. Both the lodge and kayak outfitter is owned by the same people (Wendy and Dave) They are a small business and offer great customer service. Highly recommended!

Dean and Kelly Cavalier

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Southern Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

I feel lucky to have found this B&B. Great location (just a short but alway interesting cab ride from town). We did a fishing trip while in Seward and were able to grill out and enjoy some great alaskan salmon during our stay. The hot tub was a bonus and Dave and Wendy were very engaging. I would agree that the walls/floors are thin so quiet hours should be observed since most people are getting up early for tours and/or day trips.

• Liked — Fabulous kitchen, grill, hot tub and location
  • Disliked — thin walls,
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2007

I knew I was going to love it from the second I drove up to the Bear Paw Lodge... I was greeted at my car door by Jax & Logan running towards me with their perky ears and their panting.... OK, so Jax & Logan are the owners dogs! I had just started my trip in Alaska, but I already missed my dog back home, so they made me feel right at home! The Lodge is HUGE, with a great living room area, then a TV/family room upstairs, complete with a computer AND INTERNET! The kitchen was also HUGE and complete with a fridge that you can store some goodies, but they also have plenty of goodies available for you too!

The lodge is a bit out of town, but it was definitely worth it! Wendy and Dave are great! They definitely know the ins and outs of the little town of Seward! They made tons of great recommendations from the hike to Exit Glacier with "the boys" to the restaurants. Of course, a stay in Seward is not complete without going kayaking! I was in Alaska for 3 weeks the kayak trip with Kayak Adventures Worldwide was one of the highlights of my trip, actually I think it was the best part of the trip! They know they best locations, have fabulous guides and safety is always a top concern.

You can't go wrong with Wendy and Dave no matter if you are thinking of staying at the Bear Paw Lodge or kayaking with them through the Alaska wilderness! Although I can't wait to go back to Alaska, I hope my next trip with them will be on their kayaking trip to Thailand!

Enjoy your stay!

• Liked — It's
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Bear Paw Lodge? Share your experiences!