“It's a local favorite, charm may be lost on some.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #36 of 46 Restaurants in Seward
Cuisines: Seafood
Anchorage, AK
“It's a local favorite, charm may be lost on some.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

I probably go to Seward 1x/month, winter and summer. The Marina is a restaurant located across from the small harbor and there's one on 4th.

The service and the atmosphere and the food are perfect if you've been out on the water all morning and are feeling a little weathered, tired, and hungry. It's a casual place, and you may need to flag down the service once or twice. Order the halibut burger and a brew. Afterwards, you'll be ready to start the next part of your activity-filled day.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

norfolk
“best fish ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

We've been to Marina's twice: in 1999 and 2006. It was fantastic both times, but perhaps, based on the other review, you need to know what to order. We always get the fish and chips-- a mound of perfectly moist white fish cubes in a light batter and great fries. We all thought it the best fish and chips we have ever had, and my wife grew up in London! Yes, the restaurant looks a bit like a dive, but we thought it colorful and fun. I mean, Alaska is different than the lower 48! We're returning to Alaska in 2009 and one of the reasons we will return to Seward is just for the fish and chips at Marina's. My 16 year old son will probably demand that we eat there twice!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Steer clear.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2007

We spent 18 days in Alaska in May 2007, and this was easily the worst restaurant we tried. We should have known: the most prominent "artwork" is a large yellow sign behind the counter which reads, in all caps, "Forget the Dog, Beware the Owner," with a picture of a person aiming a rifle. On the counter is a jar labeled, "Ashes of Difficult Customers."

Our experience went downhill from there. The restaurant was empty, yet the waitress told us how busy she was. She knocked over my bottle of beer as she put it on our table. After I cleaned it up, she never brought replacement napkins, didn't bring another beer, and charged me for that one. My cheeseburger came without cheese, but it was on the bill anyway. When I ordered a slice of pizza from the menu, the waitress told me to walk nextdoor to get it myself. Don't get me wrong, she wasn't rude or unfriendly, she just seemed totally over her head. If anything, we felt sorry for her as the cook (and owner I assume) barked at her from the back.

I ordered an $11 caribou burger. It was very obviously just a storebought patty, and overcooked. The fries weren't bad.

If you go, chances are the service won't be as bad, but its hard to imagine the food being better or less overpriced. With so many better options (like Terry's and Railroad Cantina 50 yards away), learn from our mistake and steer clear of this place.