“Five-star view - three star food” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 46 Restaurants in Seward
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
South Carolina
“Five-star view - three star food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

This is the very definition of a "View Restaurant" - even on a cool rainy day with the mountains mostly obscured, the view of the harbor was outstanding. We watched some commericial fishermen prepare their nets on the back of their boat our entire meal (late leisurely lunch) and it was great entertainment.
The food however was just OK. It was our third rainy day in a row in Seward and many activities on the water were cancelled due to a storm, so we decided to spend some money on a nice lunch. Our salads were fine, the wine was nice and the service was good - but this was after Labor Day and the place was pretty empty. (The bar was pretty busy with bored fishermen watching ESPN due to the weather.) We then split an order of king crab - which we figured we had to have during an AK visit. I am not sure why this is - but I have not had a single native Alaskan say they thought ordering king crab at any restaurant was a good idea - at least now I see what they mean. Our crab was on par with what one gets at Red Lobster in the lower 48 - nice but not great - and pretty expensive. I think there are other "cafe/bar-food" type things on the menu what would be good at this place that one could have with a beer and the view - hamburgers, salads, soups, etc. etc. that would be fine. I would go back for the view and a drink - maybe the view, a beer and a burger, but we've had much better crab at "Joe's Crab Shack" in suburban Atlanta.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Lebanon, New Jersey
“Nice view...average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

To be honest, I expected more from this restaurant. The food was fairly highly priced, but I thought ok, I'm going to get some great seafood. Wrong. Worst crab cakes I ever had. I would've rated lower, but I think I just happened to pick the wrong thing off their menu, that's why I gave them 3 stars.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
new york city
“went for the brews- came back the next night for dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

we really enjoyed this place- what we also noticed was that there were quite a few locals that would go here- tour guides etc. The bar was great- loved the beers - the next night we came back with the whole family for dinner. I live in NYC and found the prices , especially given the fresh seafood, were reasonable.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
oneida NY
“Good View - Not So Good Eats”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Like many other reviewers, we ended up here because Ray's had a long wait list. The first night we ate on the ground floor, and found the food OK. Husband had chowder and halibut cheeks, and I had steamers and chowder. As it was late, and they still seemed busy, I made a point of telling the waitress we would not be full covers. That was apparently no problem. At that point I would have given this place a better review. However, the next night (again Ray's had a long wait) we went in again after 8:00p.m. and found the place pretty empty. We were seated on the second floor, great view, but the wait staff were not exactly friendly. Again, we told them we would not be full covers. Hubby had the halibut cheeks and chowder again, but this time not so good. I ordered smoked salmon mousse with baguettes, and assorted veggies for dipping. Now, mousse means something foamy and light. This mousse was rock hard. It tasted good, but you could not dip the carrots or broccoli into it. It was kinda like very hard cream cheese with salmon mixed in. Also, my shoes stuck to the not-so-clean floor. Each evening, with a couple of wines added to the tab, cost over $80. Hey, with a little work this place could blow Ray's right out of the water. The locale is great, the views are great, but the service, cleanliness, and ultimately the food, are below par for the price.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Nelson, New Zealand
“Sticky tables, dirty floors - So so food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

We went here because the recommended Rays restaurant was fully booked.

We went to Rays the nexdt night and the food was much better but it wasn't a whole heap cleaner!

Chinooks had a reasonable menu and the food was ok but I hate tables that are sticky and the floor was filthy. If this is the state of the public areas, what is the kitchen like..........

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere