“Rooms without harbor views” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Seward
Madrid
“Rooms without harbor views”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

The hotel is well located and the rooms are clean but if you have booked a luxury room don't expect to see the harbor in all of them. At least there are 8 rooms without harbor views and with building views (not mountains).
Be careful if you try to book a luxury room with harbor views.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2008

We enjoyed our stay at The Breeze, it was inexpensive compared to many in Alaska. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful, the lobby had a rustic feel with a fire going in the fireplace to help ward off the chill of a rainy day. They provided a shuttle from the train, to the cruise terminal and also to the Sealife Center, the driver was as helpful as the rest of the staff. The standard room was clean and in good shape, perfect for an overnight stay. The guest laundry was clean with all machines in good working order. The restaurant served up a great breakfast and the gift shops had a nice selection. The coffee shop was conveniently located. The soda machine was not working but a convenience store was nearby. No frills but a good value for the money.

• Liked — Location, near train and small boat harbor
  • Disliked — no internet access
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

If you are going to Seward for a boat tour (Kenai Fjords or charter fishing), you should consider staying here. It was dark and fairly quiet, which after a few days in Alaska in the summer will be very important to you. The room is a standard motel room, although our bathroom was quite large and the shower massage head was a nice touch. The shower was a touch narrow, though, and it was hard not to spill water on the floor.

We didn't interact with the staff much, but when we did they were friendly and helpful. They let us leave our rental car past our checkout time so that we could take our boat tour, which was nice.

The biggest positive about this property is location - across the street from the small boat harbor, from which all the tours depart. No parking worry or hassle finding where you need to be. There are 4-5 restaurants in walking distance, of varying quality and price. Souvenir shopping is also on the same block.

My only complaint is that our room was right by the back elevator, and there was a lot of traffic outside our door. I'm a light sleeper, so that bothered me a little. My wife didn't notice.

• Stayed August 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

The Breeze Inn is a reasonably priced hotel (in Alaskan standard) just 1 street away from everything in Small Boat Harbor. Hotel ground is clean, well maintained, and professionally run. Its got a restaurant and a gift shop too. Only complaint is that the room we stayed was small - for 3 people, we definitely felt the squeeze. However, the price/location makes up for that.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

We very much enjoyed our 3-night stay at the Breeze Inn. We stayed in one of the rooms in their new annex, and although everything was well-kept, the room came with very standard motel furniture. Our room did have a mini-fridge and a big screen TV, but the highlight was definitely the brand new, HUGE, and very deep Whirlpool jaccuzi tub that fit two people comfortably. The bathroom also boasted of a separate shower and toilet room. We also found the separate air conditioning unit to be very helpful in keeping the room from getting too stuffy.

The Breeze Inn is located on the edge of Seward, right next to the Chevron gas station on the Seward Highway/Third Avenue, and right across the street from the small boat harbor (some of the rooms also have a view of the harbor). The location is ideal if you are taking a Kenai Fjords boat tour (all you have to do is cross the street and you're at the dock) or if you are planning to dine at Ray's or Chinook's Waterfront Restaurants. It is on the complete opposite side of town from the Sea Life Center, but even so, it was just a three-minute drive down Third or Fourth Street.

The parking can get a little tight, and sometimes you may have to park a little farther from the entrance of your building, but it's no big deal. The lobby had a snow lodge feel to it, with a three story tall "living room" area complete with a fireplace and tall windows that have a mountain view.

Overall, the Breeze Inn -- or at least their new Annex -- is a big step up from a typical motel, is conveniently located in Seward, and definitely worth the price if you will make good use of the huge jacuzzi tubs.

• Liked — Jacuzzi tub
  • Disliked — Typical motel furniture/decor
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

One desk clerk was nice and friendly. The other was terse at best, mean and argumentative at worst. I arrived on morning train, not expecting to check in, but clerk was very curt and rude in telling me I had to wait until 3 p.m. I asked if I could get a non-smoking room as I was booked iinto a smoking room (that was my error, not hers). She said the only way I could do this was with expensive upgrade. Then I asked if I could please leave luggage there and she said yes. I asked about going downtown or to the Sea Life Center. She told me I could take the trolley for $5 and it stopped across the street by another business. So, I followed her directions and then saw the trolley stop on the same side of the street as the hotel, right by it. I couldn't catch it, so I went back to the hotel. I was going to just wait in the lobby and read (she asked if I was just going to stay there until 3 p.m.). I heard the other clerk talk to some other clients about taking the hotel shuttle downtown and asked if I could go and then asked the clerk why she didn't tell me about the free shuttle. She said because I had asked about Sea Life Center not downtown (I walked the three short blocks from downtown to the center just fine). As I was following the other clients out the door followed by the shuttle driver, she said to the driver while shaking her finger at him, "You make sure you arrange an exact pickup time for them and be sure they know they are on their own if they don't meet you then." Van drive and driver were fine and I was at appointed spot twenty minutes ahead of arranged pickup time. Van was 15 min early and other clients also showed up early, so we all went back to the hotel. It is an acceptable hotel and if the other clerk were the only one working there I would recommend this place, but this clerk is simply not worth dealing with. Pay a few extra bucks and stay someplace else, it will be worth it.

• Liked — One nice clerk and laundry room
  • Disliked — Other unwelcoming clerk
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

Ok, it's the only hotel I've stayed at in Seward, but I honestly can't imagine a better one since there are no 5 star ones there.

Our staying there was a happy accident because the cabin we reserved months ahead of time had a broken hot water heater. It was July 4 week and nearly everyone was full. The Breeze had one room and it was a hot tub room.

I'm not a fan of the locally owned motel and made a personal commitment to never again stay in one after a really bad one. In Alaska you'll be severely limited if you don't stay in a local. I don't want to mislead that The Breeze is even close to a 5 star -- think Hampton Inn/Comfort Inn. They've built onto this hotel 3 times (I was told). The last addition was open only 2 weeks before our stay. Our room was in the annex which was built a year or two before our stay. I don't know how old the oldest part is. The new lobby is very nice.

Our room had king bed, small dorm size refrigerator, good wireless internet, cable/sat tv with flat screen and our bathroom was fabulous (remember that it was a hot tub room). The bathroom was huge, had a two person hot tub, tons of towels, and a separate large shower. The room was good size too.

Unfortunately the only thing bad was the view. We looked out onto another building, but if you looked up there were snow capped mountains where two bald eagles lived and flew regularly. Bring your binoculars!

There was no smell in the room. I'm particularly sensitive and there was no heat smell, gas smell, old smell. nothing. Pets are not allowed. There was plenty of parking. The hotel restaurant serves breakfast all day. I don't know if it included continental breakfast because we were either early (sea kayaking) or sleeping in to recover.

I had to do laundry while I was there and although it was in the other building the laundry room was adequate. There were two washers and two dryers. It was tough to find one free.

I thought The Breeze was more attractive on the outside than the Holiday Inn Express. The Holilday Inn looked old on the outside. The Breeze looked new. If you get in one of the two newer buildings you won't be disappointed with The Breeze Inn.

• Liked — Clean, not worn, no smell, like a named hotel in the lower 48
  • Disliked — view
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Breeze Inn? Share your experiences!