“nice hotel, grumpy front desk” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Seward
Texas
“nice hotel, grumpy front desk”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

One desk clerk was nice and friendly. The other was terse at best, mean and argumentative at worst. I arrived on morning train, not expecting to check in, but clerk was very curt and rude in telling me I had to wait until 3 p.m. I asked if I could get a non-smoking room as I was booked iinto a smoking room (that was my error, not hers). She said the only way I could do this was with expensive upgrade. Then I asked if I could please leave luggage there and she said yes. I asked about going downtown or to the Sea Life Center. She told me I could take the trolley for $5 and it stopped across the street by another business. So, I followed her directions and then saw the trolley stop on the same side of the street as the hotel, right by it. I couldn't catch it, so I went back to the hotel. I was going to just wait in the lobby and read (she asked if I was just going to stay there until 3 p.m.). I heard the other clerk talk to some other clients about taking the hotel shuttle downtown and asked if I could go and then asked the clerk why she didn't tell me about the free shuttle. She said because I had asked about Sea Life Center not downtown (I walked the three short blocks from downtown to the center just fine). As I was following the other clients out the door followed by the shuttle driver, she said to the driver while shaking her finger at him, "You make sure you arrange an exact pickup time for them and be sure they know they are on their own if they don't meet you then." Van drive and driver were fine and I was at appointed spot twenty minutes ahead of arranged pickup time. Van was 15 min early and other clients also showed up early, so we all went back to the hotel. It is an acceptable hotel and if the other clerk were the only one working there I would recommend this place, but this clerk is simply not worth dealing with. Pay a few extra bucks and stay someplace else, it will be worth it.

• Liked — One nice clerk and laundry room
  • Disliked — Other unwelcoming clerk
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

Ok, it's the only hotel I've stayed at in Seward, but I honestly can't imagine a better one since there are no 5 star ones there.

Our staying there was a happy accident because the cabin we reserved months ahead of time had a broken hot water heater. It was July 4 week and nearly everyone was full. The Breeze had one room and it was a hot tub room.

I'm not a fan of the locally owned motel and made a personal commitment to never again stay in one after a really bad one. In Alaska you'll be severely limited if you don't stay in a local. I don't want to mislead that The Breeze is even close to a 5 star -- think Hampton Inn/Comfort Inn. They've built onto this hotel 3 times (I was told). The last addition was open only 2 weeks before our stay. Our room was in the annex which was built a year or two before our stay. I don't know how old the oldest part is. The new lobby is very nice.

Our room had king bed, small dorm size refrigerator, good wireless internet, cable/sat tv with flat screen and our bathroom was fabulous (remember that it was a hot tub room). The bathroom was huge, had a two person hot tub, tons of towels, and a separate large shower. The room was good size too.

Unfortunately the only thing bad was the view. We looked out onto another building, but if you looked up there were snow capped mountains where two bald eagles lived and flew regularly. Bring your binoculars!

There was no smell in the room. I'm particularly sensitive and there was no heat smell, gas smell, old smell. nothing. Pets are not allowed. There was plenty of parking. The hotel restaurant serves breakfast all day. I don't know if it included continental breakfast because we were either early (sea kayaking) or sleeping in to recover.

I had to do laundry while I was there and although it was in the other building the laundry room was adequate. There were two washers and two dryers. It was tough to find one free.

I thought The Breeze was more attractive on the outside than the Holiday Inn Express. The Holilday Inn looked old on the outside. The Breeze looked new. If you get in one of the two newer buildings you won't be disappointed with The Breeze Inn.

• Liked — Clean, not worn, no smell, like a named hotel in the lower 48
  • Disliked — view
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2008

Excellent room at a good price. We had a large king bed room for about $110 in early season (mid May) and loved the room. Spacious, clean and all the trimmings. There was no view to speak of, but the place was great and the restaurant was excellent. Take the Major Marine all day tour. It is fabulous.

• Stayed May 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

This was a great motel to stay at while in Alaska. Most lodging I found is low staffed and slower in the winter months but the Breeze Inn was very nice and the service was wonderful. The Front office staff and the general manager were great.
They were very good about apologizing to others about the construction but what growing motel doesn't have a need for expansion. I heard some people complaining about the construction but it never bothered me enough to make me grumpy because I live in a big city and a little construction for a better service and scenery is nothing much if it will make for a better stay next time. People should be understanding of that aspect. So If you can withstand a little noise and want a nice view and friendly hotel service then stay at this hotel. I will say that the only thing i did not like was the morning breakfast service in the restaurant. I got better help for the busing girl than the waitress. It was only 1 particular waitress though, the other morning I had good service, so I guess it is all who you get unless management got a better waitress. The food in the restaurant, though a little more than small big city restaurants, was actually really good. Try the Omelettes Yum.
I would definitely recommend this place and I found that if you are kind and talk to the manager, he was really kind and resolved any issues we had.

• Liked — The service, management and food
  • Disliked — Bad morning waitress and unpaved parking lot
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2008

We stayed at this hotel during our stay in Seward. It was the perfect location, right across the street from the harbor where the Kenai cruise goes out of. We stayed in the section facing the parking lot, no view but great value and the people in the office and attached gift shop were very nice.
One added bonus. Across Seward Hwy from the hotel, there are many bald eagles to be found in the trees

• Liked — location to harbor and price
  • Disliked — a little worn
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Tucson, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

This hotel had a great location, but it was way overpriced for the room. We paid a premium to get a mountain view room to find out that they were under construction, building new rooms blocking our view. The construction noise went on all day, thankfully not at night. It was a very average motel room at $179 per night. I think you can do much better than this in Seward.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
providence, rhode island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

stayed for 1 night in june, arrived by train left by shuttle. breeze inn very convenient, directly across from harbor, tour booking companies, restaurants, shops, close to train depot. my room was in older building with construction but was not bothered by it. my back window looked out onto highway but also river and mountains, so it was nice. room and bathroom were clean, which is my biggest concern, always. tricking finding entrance and "front desk", but they were helpful. and the price was better than some of the others.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — ease of entrance
  • Stayed June 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Breeze Inn? Share your experiences!