“The Great, the Bad, and the Ugly!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Mauna Loa Village

Save Saved
You added Wyndham Mauna Loa Village to your Saves list
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   78-7190 Kaleiopapa Street, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 15 hotels in Kailua-Kona
wasilla
“The Great, the Bad, and the Ugly!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We'll start with the ugly--the carpet in our unit was stained. BUT, it was clean...I walked around in white socks and they didn't get dirty. Some of the units have brand new carpet, the rest are scheduled to be replaced within 2 years. For some people this might be a big minus, but we don't care as long as it's actually clean.
The bad--the midweek cleaning for a Fri-Fri unit came on Wed...seemed a little late, but since we weren't even sure there would be a midweek cleaning, we were prepared to go the entire week without one. We saw housekeeping around on other days, so if it makes a difference to you, perhaps it can be arranged to actually be midweek.
The GREAT--well, plenty falls in this category. First, the staff...from our first phone call to find out about a late arrival right up to check-out, we thought they were fantastic: friendly, professional, accommodating, helpful. Second, cleanliness...rarely do I stay in a place where I don't want to clean the counters, or the coffeemaker, or the balcony furniture...something before I use it. But not here, as everything was spotlessly clean!
The grounds were beautifully maintained, from the swimming pools to the plants. It is a quiet location, which we appreciated since we were busy with activities away from the resort and enjoyed being able to relax when we were on site.
I appreciated the fact that there was plenty of dishwashing detergent, 2 packs of laundry soap (enough for 2-4 loads), and 7-8 coffee filters.
The unit was very spacious, except for the kitchen, which was tight for 2 people to be in it at the same time. We were in a 1-bedroom, and there was 1 1/2 baths....luxury!
As someone else mentioned, it's close to Keahou Bay (as we had an early a.m. snorkel trip leaving from there, we timed it...it was a 6 minute leisurely walk for us). You'll pass the Sheraton on the way, where there is a Wed. Farmers' Market...the day we were there we got a great bargain on fruit (coffee, nuts, and candies were available also, in addition to quite a few arts and crafts).
We were very pleased with this stay, and would be thrilled to stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

122 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

We just stayed here and the personal attention given by Howard and Laura was incredible. Laura booked our tours and made special requests for me unbeknown to me as i was suffering a bit of motion sickness due to travelling for a month. Howard and Laura even tried to sort out my car rental for me as Budget car rental at Kona airport over charged me. Laura even rang them to try and get explanations for some of the cost. Big tip avoid Budget and don't get talked into any discounted upgrade if u have travel insurance that usually includes ur car insurance, so don't get talked into any extra. Budget in Maui were excellent no spin no extra cost. Anyway back to the resort. The grounds are beautiful the rooms well appointed and roomy. Avoid the Wydham talk its not worth the gifts they give u. Our weeks holiday that they give u that actually cost u $249 they weren't even sure if it could b used in Australia. But that is no reflection on Howard and Laura that is away from the resort. I would stay here again in a heart beat. Everything u need to make your holiday comfortable with staff that go above and beyond. Even the lovely lady who worked the reception desk and the young office guy made u feel important always had a smile and friendly word. Sorry I can't remember there name. Big island with Big Heart. Deb F-S

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

i was lucky enough to buy a groupon through World Resorts, Int'l for a week long stay at this time share property. Although it is a bit of a drive into Kailua-Kona, it's a very short walk to Keahou Bay, where I spent a lot of time kayaking and paddle boarding. It is also next to the newly renovated Sheraton which is a very nice spot to get a relaxing drink and watch for manta rays at night. The condo was 2 levels with an excellent kitchen, dining room, living room, balcony with full size table and chairs and powder room on the top floor and 2 bedrooms on the bottom floor each with comfotable king beds and each with its own bathroom and walk out patio. There was also a washer and dryer on the bottom floor which was a MUST have!

The landscaping of the grounds was gorgeous and the maintenance people, who were busy with some kind of project each day I was there were very friendly. The front desk staff was very helpful and always remembered my name and where i was from. I did not use any of the pools as I was always using the ocean as my pool, but they lookled very well kept and relaxing.

Fresh coffee was always available in the lobby and the staff was very helpful giving me directions or assistance with whatever I needed (I rented a jeep thatr I was using on my own and I could never get the top back on all the way---they helped me with this--TWICE :)

I would definiltey stay here again. It was comfortable, clean, had everything I needed and I always felt at home!

Room Tip: Try to choose a room near to the garage if you don't like walking too far. I didn't have a p...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Lindon, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Though the resort is a little older, it was well taken care of and a wonderful place to stay. We were treated well by the staff, and thoroughly enjoyed the uncrowded use of any of the eight swimming pools. It is located next to the Sheraton and that made it easy to go see the manta rays in the evening at that hotel. It is a little farther from downtown Kona but not far enough to be a bother, and besides it put us closer to things that are south of Kona. We were in a two bedroom unit and it
had plenty of room for the five of us.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Cochrane, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

This is a timeshare property even though you can book it many ways.

When you arrive you will be told there is a resort orientation at 8am the next morning and you need to be there to get your parking pass but stay to listen about the resort and have some fruit and pasteries. GROAN. We went expecting the sales pitch - but that's not it. They tell you about 20 tours on the island and talk about how you must drive the limit and wear seat belts because the cops will get you. They give you the prices of the tours and then tell you with an alohoa card you'll save tons and give you the aloha card price.

If you plan to do a lot of tours and don't mind using the vendors they select then it's worth it to get an aloha card. We were already planning to do the paradise helicopter tour with doors off over the lava field in hilo and it saved use almost $100 for the two of us. If you're wanting to do 3-4 or more tours then get the card and go through the pitch (they will likely throw in a visa gift card too but I didn't hear this offered to all people... i've heard up to $150 but they offered us $50 and then $100 in addition the to aloha. If you plan to bum around and not do tours .... SKIP the orientation, pick up your pass later, stick to a firm "nah the card isn't worth a few bucks on some of my meals and shopping (not of the discounts for dining and shopped worked out to be worth it for us) and skip the pitch. I'm not 100% certain the parking pass means anything as we often forgot to flip it up because we took it down when we had the converable top down. You might be able to skip the whole experience (but don't hold me responsible if that doesn't work that way).

I almost feel staying at the wyndham was worth it for the aloha card on our tours. Unfortunately I had booked most of them from home before getting the card so I didn't get the full benefit and it still helped a bunch.

About the room - it was older but in good condition. Bed was nice, kitche was nice with great ammenities... very spacious... I liked the 8 pools and we tried out different one around the propery even though they are the same. The grounds were well maintained and very pretty. The path system is messed up as we had to go up and down the same hill to get from the car to the room each day and I don't understand that design.

Overall i would stay here again... and would only bother with the morning orientation if I wanted an aloha card to save on tours.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Danville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have owned at mauna loa for 20 years and still love the small village feel of the resort. Not a huge resort where you can easily get lost. Staff friendly and helpful and just the right amount of amenities. Close to everything by car. Units clean and comfortable. Good for couples or families.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Only stayed for 5 night but really loved the Village.Staff were very friendly & helpful. The unit was really nice, clean & spacious & comfortable. Liked the individual pool areas instead of one big pool. Enjoyed the wildlife too. Would recommend it for anyone who wanted to visit Kona

Room Tip: we had unit 68 and I could not fault it.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Mauna Loa Village? Share your experiences!